Thread: Scottish Air Weapon Licience

Scottish Air Weapon Licience

How long does it normally take for a licience to be issued?
    I've no medical issues or criminal history.
    It will be for target shooting. T.I.A.

I got mine two weeks after my fac and sgc renewal visit.
    No visit for an AWL. Not sure how long for an AWL only .

Police Scotland say it should take about 6 weeks at the moment to issue it. But having said that they are currently reorganizing the firearms licensing dept, so who knows.

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill View Post
    Police Scotland say it should take about 6 weeks at the moment to issue it. But having said that they are currently reorganizing the firearms licensing dept, so who knows.

Bill
    Oh great I want it for three weeks time
    I'll give them a ring in the morning, otherwise I dont know what we gonna do....

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I applied for mine at the same time as I completed the paperwork for transferring my FAC from South York’s to Perthshire on moving up here last year. Both came through after about two weeks and the home visit.(firearms not air guns)
    Went quite well I thought.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by pumpygun View Post
    Oh great I want it for three weeks time
    I'll give them a ring in the morning, otherwise I dont know what we gonna do....
    Apply with more time next time maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Apply with more time next time maybe ?
    Thanks for the excellent advice. I'd never thought to myself "I wish I'd remember about those stupid laws north of the border before now"

As it happens they have told me they don't issue them anymore to people who don't reside in Scotland. Visitors permits only from now on.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I'd never thought to myself "I wish I'd remember about those stupid laws north of the border before now"

As it happens they have told me they don't issue them anymore to people who don't reside in Scotland. Visitors permits only from now on.
    Would you book a holiday and leave renewing your passport to the last few weeks beforehand knowing it could take longer for it to be processed?

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Would you book a holiday and leave renewing your passport to the last few weeks beforehand knowing it could take longer for it to be processed?
    Like I said thanks for the excellent advice you've been a big help and a massive source of information to the board.

I would try asking the question again, preferably of a different issuing centre. I'm not saying it's not true, but I have my ear pretty close to the licensing ground and I've never heard this.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    I would try asking the question again, preferably of a different issuing centre. I'm not saying it's not true, but I have my ear pretty close to the licensing ground and I've never heard this.

Alan
    I spoke to several officers from the Glasgow firearms team.
    They said the ruling was been made at goverment level and was part of new laws that will be introduced in the future. I'll maybe try again with another area.
    Thanks for the reply.

According to the police Scotland website there is a visitors permit AWL3, how long it takes them to process is another matter.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/about...lication-forms

I only know this as one of the guys at my regular shooting ground is up in Skye for work and fancied taking his rifle, so we looked it up.