Thread: Thoughts on shooting rests

Thoughts on shooting rests

I'm thinking of getting a shooting rest, mainly for pellet testing to take out the variations from the lump that's pulling the trigger! It will also be used for setting up scopes and chrono testing to avoid near misses on the chrono! I've found one of these on offer https://buffaloriversafes.com/products/shooting-rest and wondered if anyone has one or used one and can offer any opinions please? It looks to have plenty of adjustments compared with similar looking, slightly cheaper ones but with the offer, the Buffalo River one is tempting.

There are also a number of plastic things around but I feel these are over priced for just a large plastic moulding and are probably best as a stand for maintenance and cleaning, or am I dismissing these unfairly?

Your thought and opinions are most welcome.

I looked at several many moons ago for the same reason. They all seem okay from what I remember but I ended up getting a Caldwell Tack Driver which I found was much more practical.

I've got an MTM Predator Shooting rest, which can be very helpful for zeroing & ammo/pellet testing.
    But, the rest is only as stable as the table/bench you shoot off, so you notice your table wobbles, and then you want a better shooting bench, which in turn shows the ground is a bit soft or lumpy so then you want to make a solid stable base...
    or is that just me ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I've got an MTM Predator Shooting rest, which can be very helpful for zeroing & ammo/pellet testing.
    But, the rest is only as stable as the table/bench you shoot off, so you notice your table wobbles, and then you want a better shooting bench, which in turn shows the ground is a bit soft or lumpy so then you want to make a solid stable base...
    or is that just me ?
    Now you'll get us all thinking...
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Rest

Caldwell are doing a full size rest called the stinger, about £130 looks very good.

I have this one too. Use it for my .22lr.

Thanks for the replies and info, most helpful and thought provoking as always!

I Have the buffalo river one.
    Although I do use it for pellet testing that's mainly due to lack of an alternative right now. I find it far too adjustable without having a solid enough lock up.
    The elevation is pretty good, but not having a fixed butt rest or stock clamp means the rifle can (and for recoil certainly will) move on each shot.
    Other issue is that central pivot, it's no where near solid enough to stop the rifle yawing if you touch it.

I really don't know what it's for. It's not stable enough for a cleaning rest, although adjustable it's not quick enough for active shooting. As mentioned it wont lock up tight enough to be ideal for fixed testing.
    It's not much better than a bipod and a whole lot more hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    I Have the buffalo river one.
    Although I do use it for pellet testing that's mainly due to lack of an alternative right now. I find it far too adjustable without having a solid enough lock up.
    The elevation is pretty good, but not having a fixed butt rest or stock clamp means the rifle can (and for recoil certainly will) move on each shot.
    Other issue is that central pivot, it's no where near solid enough to stop the rifle yawing if you touch it.

I really don't know what it's for. It's not stable enough for a cleaning rest, although adjustable it's not quick enough for active shooting. As mentioned it wont lock up tight enough to be ideal for fixed testing.
    It's not much better than a bipod and a whole lot more hassle.
    Cheers for this, I think you may have saved my wallet some stress! My tight side is thinking I can build something suitable with some decent timber and threaded rod...

I use a 'K-zone shooting rest', it's as stable as what it's put on but a bit big and fugly.
    https://www.theairguncentre.com/k-zone-shooting-rest

Rest

People make them with a bit of wood and a car jack .

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Beanbag (or two), job done. Instantly adjustable, fit any gun, can be thrown around, and soak up the wobbles too.. plus if you have a recoiling gun, they don't cause everything to leap upwards. Cheap - and as a bonus, can can also sit on them, or use them a a pillow when taking a nap. It's a win - win - win
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.