Thread: how to remove black anodize from aluminium

how to remove black anodize from aluminium

I need to remove black anodizing from aluminium so i can polish it , is there any way i can strip it .
    thanks

Just use a buffing wheel. It'll whip the anodizing off ok.

Caustic soda. Abrading it a bit first might help, as decent caustic is hard to buy you could try oven cleaner.

When the finish is off go through a couple of grades of emery paper used wet before going to the buffing wheels.

Quite straightforward as long as it's a part you can fully remove.
    Take care with caustic, do it outside, long sleeves, mask and proper googles not just specs and a readily available source of water in case you do "get it on ya".

If its the soft Type 2 then as LTFK suggests a brass wire wheel, emery etc will easily remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by cynergy001 View Post
    I need to remove black anodizing from aluminium so i can polish it , is there any way i can strip it .
    thanks
    Caustic soda does it but may leave the Ali with an etched surface. You could try John Horton on Facebook as he strips it and anodises parts different colours.
    Kingplinker on here used to polish his up. Do a search on here ,he may have given tips.
    Last edited by bighit; 25-05-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Caustic soda makes the ano just wash off. UNFORTUNATELY (!) it has no effect on the aluminium! I tried! Even if left for many long hours. The shiny bits remain shiny and the matte, matte, so any scratches or previously polished parts of the item will still be glaringly obvious and the whole will need polishing for a consistent finish, if applicable.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I seem to remember heating it with a blow torch removes all traces of anodised finishes - not sure though, anybody else able to confirm??

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Caustic soda makes the ano just wash off. UNFORTUNATELY (!) it has no effect on the aluminium! I tried! Even if left for many long hours. The shiny bits remain shiny and the matte, matte, so any scratches or previously polished parts of the item will still be glaringly obvious and the whole will need polishing for a consistent finish, if applicable.
    Must have been VERY weak caustic to have no effect on the ally!
    This stuff WILL dissolve ally if strong enough, and left for long enough!...…...trust me!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

ive polished a few guns/scopes up over the years,1200/1500 grade wet/dry paper followed by buffing sissal/tight leaf mop using correct cutting compounds/waxes.
    caustic soda will corrode/eat alloy(used it for eatching bare alloy before painting) depending on the mixture BUT it has to get past the anodizing first
    i can also confirm the heat will remove some anidizing to a point as had 11 guns destroyed in a fire a few years back mind you i still had to sand/cut past the hardening before they would buff.

Drain cleaner works very well. 50% (sodium hydroxyde) drain cleaner to water.( diluting slows the process so you can catch it at the right time) Add the drain cleaner to the water not the other way round in a plastic tub. Put your anodised bits in. Keep agitating it as it looks like its not removing the anodising. Roughly 2 -5 mins later itll be a mat silver. Take out and neutralise in water. Polish or brushed finish looks good but thats a personal preference. Gloves and goggle are a very good idea just incase !

Atb Shaun

take care with caustic it will dissolve ally but it is the way to remove anodising as it dissolves the outer hardened layer allowing the dye to wash out of the anodised layer
    to strip I use 200g of caustic pearls /liter and heat mix to about 40-50 degrees
    mixing caustic with water will cause the solution to heat up I use a tooth brush to scrubb the part in the solution but if suspended in it it will also come clean
    fit stainless grub screws to any threads as it will eat metal away so threads will be a looser fit

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXMAN View Post
    Drain cleaner works very well. 50% (sodium hydroxyde) drain cleaner to water.( diluting slows the process so you can catch it at the right time) Add the drain cleaner to the water not the other way round in a plastic tub. Put your anodised bits in. Keep agitating it as it looks like its not removing the anodising. Roughly 2 -5 mins later itll be a mat silver. Take out and neutralise in water. Polish or brushed finish looks good but thats a personal preference. Gloves and goggle are a very good idea just incase !

Atb Shaun
    This is how I’ve removed anodising in the past, it’s a very effective method.

Be extremely careful though as it’ll destroy alloys if left too long. Don’t leave the part unattended and check often.

I got my drain cleaning crystals from the quid shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Must have been VERY weak caustic to have no effect on the ally!
    This stuff WILL dissolve ally if strong enough, and left for long enough!...…...trust me!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Roy.
    We used to melt Ali seat post s seized in steel bike frames with it.
    One of the easiest ways to get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by cynergy001 View Post
    thanks
    The black is not a coating like paint, it needs to be disolved off with acid or abraded off.
    mk2 rapid.22