Thread: Bsa light pattern parts

Bsa light pattern parts

I'm just gauging interest in selling parts for a 1924 Bsa light pattern.
    I really need to sell mine unfortunately but there's been no interest from anyone, so if I broke it up would anyone want to buy any parts?
    Original open sights, stock, cylinder & barrel, piston with new seal, new correct flat spring etc, all available.

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    I could well be interested in the barrel/ cylinder and tap assembly, price dependant of course.
    Regards, Clogger

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'm sure if it was priced around £150, it'd fly. Just depends whether it's worth the hassle of breaking for an extra few quid.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It's been up for sale for a few weeks for £200. I'd accept a very close offer but I've had no interest.
    It's a good honest original gun & I'm torn because it seems such a shame to break it up when it's survived 95 years unscathed.
    I'll be honest, I paid £200 for it & I've spent probably another £50 on a new seal & new spring etc, I expect to lose a little on it but I'm not prepared to lose £100.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilnrLincoln View Post
    It's been up for sale for a few weeks for £200. I'd accept a very close offer but I've had no interest.
    It's a good honest original gun & I'm torn because it seems such a shame to break it up when it's survived 95 years unscathed.
    I'll be honest, I paid £200 for it & I've spent probably another £50 on a new seal & new spring etc, I expect to lose a little on it but I'm not prepared to lose £100.
    sure, but that's the point. if it purely comes down to how much you are prepared to lose, do the maths, and see if it's worth the bother. If the difference between losing £100 and losing £75 is worth you doing ten different sales, posting, etc, then great, go for it. But don't do it because you lose less - do it because your time is worth more than the £25 for ten sales.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilnrLincoln View Post

With the very greatest of respect, the fact that you paid above market value for it is neither here nor there. We’ve all been there, and it is unfair to try and pass your error on.

As for the work you had done, that would suggest it needed it to be done in order to function, so in the same way as you can’t ad the price of the last service to a car when you move it on, as that is a running cost, you can’t expect to ad the cost of an essential service needed to make your air rifle function to it’s price when you sell it.

Sometimes we just have to just take our errors on the chin and chalk them down to experience as I did recently with an absolute dog of a Sussex Armoury Jackal I bought off here. This all said, however, think £150 posted too cheap, so imho, ask £175 including secure 48 hour Parcel Force post (iro £12), or £160 collected via a new/fresh advert, and as said above, am sure it will go!

Hope this helps. Atb: GWB.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    With the very greatest of respect, the fact that you paid above market value for it is neither here nor there. We’ve all been there, and it is unfair to try and pass your error on.

As for the work you had done, that would suggest it needed it to be done in order to function, so in the same way as you can’t ad the price of the last service to a car when you move it on, as that is a running cost, you can’t expect to ad the cost of an essential service needed to make your air rifle function to it’s price when you sell it.

Sometimes we just have to just take our errors on the chin and chalk them down to experience as I did recently with an absolute dog of a Sussex Armoury Jackal I bought off here. This all said, however, think £150 posted too cheap, so imho, ask £175 including secure 48 hour Parcel Force post (iro £12), or £160 collected via a new/fresh advert, and as said above, am sure it will go!

Hope this helps. Atb: GWB.
    l have to agree with the above posts. l have over paid for some of the guns l have bought and would have to live for another 40 years to hopefully get my money back. just put it down to a learning curve.

What Gareth and shed tuner said.

You could probably get your money back, but it would take a lot of time and effort.

Where I've overpaid for an item I tend to sit on it for years. If I have to sell it eventually, either its value has gradually climbed to something like what I paid for it originally or, more likely, I've forgotten what I paid in the first place!

I've even had the disconcerting experience of coming across a rifle a few years ago and having no recollection whatever of ever having bought it, or owning it at all. It was as if I was seeing it for the first time! If I'd got someone to parcel it up, I could have had the pleasure of unwrapping it all over again.

So failing memory can actually be a blessing when it comes to dulling the pain of remembering you overpaid for an airgun.

But there are much worse things in life than paying a few quid too much for a airgun. Being a compulsive gambler, for instance, and having nothing to show for your recklessness...

Over decades of collecting, the swings and roundabouts effect means that for every daft purchase there is one (or two, or three) bargain purchase to make up for it - if you can even remember which is which.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

1 Pay way too much for a superb example.

2 Pay less for an average example and spend time and money doing it up.

3 Pay peanuts for a junker that nobody wants to buy.

Every way loses you money.

So if you don't do it for fun buy shares in Centrica instead.

I didn't buy it to make money. I bought it because it was something I want. I've used it for a while for plinking & bell target, but unfortunately need some cash so have to sell. I'd just like to get the majority of my money back if possible.

I sympathize with your situation. I often wonder why there isn't more of a market for these classic's ? I think if more people discovered the challenge of shooting these 80-100 year old rifles, and realise just how much fun they can be, then more people would make some cabinet space for an example or two.
    So many people now only shoot scoped up PCP rifles, that few realise how much fun can be had with these traditional open sighted springers.

Given the timeless quality of the build of these guns, and the top drawer materials used, I dont think £200 is out of the way, especially given that they often sell for £140-£160 at auction, then you have the buyers premium on top, which equals £200 all day long.

Good luck with the sale, as a whole, or in bits

Lakey

Modern disposable co2 pistols can cost more than these classics.

I do tend to be wary of the old BSAs though.
    Too often bits are wrong or missing and you have been caught on price.

But they are usually fun to shoot.

I sold a Light at the last Kempton for £125 as there was no avoiding the fact that something had chewed the butt a bit!
    Still a good shooter.

Yeah, I love my L... great value for £150 for a reasonable condition shooter IMHO. But very easy to overpay as above with servicing etc. In fact if you look at the engineering quality, they are very cheap.

Paid 160 for an all original 1910 straight stock LP in lovely condition.

After resealing, new spring and inseizing the rear sight blade it shoots like a dream.
    Won the last two club vintage bell target comps with it and I’m repeatedly amazed at how well they shoot.
    (shed tuner helped me see the light on these classics)

Fantastically good value!