Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawke Sidewinder owners

Hawke Sidewinder owners

I have just acquired a Sidewinder 30 4-16x50 scope. The turrets just want to screw all the way out, this doesn't seem right to me, if they do, will the scope need re charging with nitrogen ? The vertical adjuster ain't moving the cross hair at all. Help.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Hawke technical support are very good - I suggest you speak with them and I'm sure they will sort your problem.
    Most likely for no charge

uk@hawkeoptics.com
    0345 345 5555
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    Hawke technical support are very good - I suggest you speak with them and I'm sure they will sort your problem.
    Most likely for no charge

uk@hawkeoptics.com
    0345 345 5555
    Cheers bud, just sent them a email. So hopefully all not lost

Without wishing to undermine your knowledge of this particular scope, you do know that the adjusters pull up before making any adjustments then push back in once zeroed?

And, once zeroed they can be re-set so that the "0" aligns with the pointer too by slackening off the torx screw, lifting the adjuster, spinning it round until the alignment is made, then tightening the torx screw.

If you know all this then I would wait until Hawke have replied to your e-mail.

Dave,
    Emma's got a Sidewinder on her Wolverine that she's bringing to The Bash this week, you're welcome to compare and have a play with the allen keys if you want.

As Portzy says, but while you're waiting look at the turret markings, when pushed in you can see about 2mm of them, when pulled out about 5mm, try pulling the turret out, does it now "click" ?

As you said "acquired" I'm guessing it's bought used, have you got the Torx key to unscrew the turret dial ? if so try & unscrew it.

Under the dial is the round silver turret spacer which has a grub screw through the side which I'm guessing locks on to the actual shaft in to the scope, if that grub screw came loose I assume the spacer & dial would just spin on the shaft,
    and as the torx screw on the dial screws in to that silver spacer, if that just turns when you try to undo it, that would point to it being the grub screw, Hawke warranty should cover that,
    but try the torx again while you also pull out (or push in) on the turret dial that might just put enough friction on to the grub screw to allow the torx to undo.
    You can tell when the torx is undoing rather than just spinning because it lifts the dial with it.

https://ibb.co/rxjmf3N
    Last edited by angrybear; 26-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Well, bugger I should of been pulling and I would of been ok Now I need the scope re gassed, ideas anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Dave,
    Emma's got a Sidewinder on her Wolverine that she's bringing to The Bash this week, you're welcome to compare and have a play with the allen keys if you want.
    Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Well, bugger I should of been pulling and I would of been ok Now I need the scope re gassed, ideas anyone ?
    If you have not managed to totally remove the adjusters then you might just get lucky. I have no idea of the seal or "O" ring location arrangements inside the Sidewinder so as I said, you may be fine.

All that said, see what Hawke say. I would mail them again and let them know all that you now know from those on here and add photos if possible, my experience of their after sales service is that they are second to none.

Edit: BTW, which model did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    If you have not managed to totally remove the adjusters then you might just get lucky. I have no idea of the seal or "O" ring location arrangements inside the Sidewinder so as I said, you may be fine.

All that said, see what Hawke say. I would mail them again and let them know all that you now know from those on here and add photos if possible, my experience of their after sales service is that they are second to none.

Edit: BTW, which model did you get?
    Sidewinder 30 4-16x50. It definitely needs re gassing, the turrets were totally out. Hopefully they will sort it at a decent price

Sidewinder 30 4-16x50. It definitely needs re gassing, the turrets were totally out. Hopefully they will sort it at a decent price
    Okay

Was that a specific targeted () purchase or did serendipity come into play when you were shopping t'web

Okay

Was that a specific targeted () purchase or did serendipity come into play when you were shopping t'web
    Came on a HW100 I bought yesterday

Came on a HW100 I bought yesterday
    Okay.

Let us know how you get on with Hawke if you wouldn't mind,

ATB.

Okay.

Let us know how you get on with Hawke if you wouldn't mind,

ATB.
    Will do mate

Scope is packed and ready to be posted back to Hawke tomorrow, I will update when I know the outcome. Everything crossed