Thread: Unknown To Me Govt. Prototype British Military Pattern Trainer

Unknown To Me Govt. Prototype British Military Pattern Trainer

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Air-rifles.htm

How cool is that.......Is there any more out there ?

Sorry if its old news.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Air-rifles.htm

How cool is that.......Is there any more out there ?

Sorry if its old news.
    That's a great link, Morgan, thanks. I'm sure I've seen it before but had quite forgotten. Fascinating stuff!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Morgan,

What an excellent piece of research someone has carried out. Thank you for sharing.

'Harvey' featured this very rifle in the September 1981 issue of Airgun World - I wonder who has it now?

I have a privately made conversion of a Lincoln that now wears SMLE woodwork, which is one of my favourite air rifles. It shoots as good as it looks and always draws interest whenever I take it to the club.

Kind regards,

John

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting that...some good stuff there.

Fascinating.

The designation on the drawing of “Rifle, Air, No2 Mk1” suggests some degree of official approval.

The lack of markings on the rifle, however, suggests the opposite - a bright idea at RSAF Enfield that went no further.

The apparent absence of any other source document referring to a “Rifle, Air, No2 Mk1” or a formal requirement (War Office Pattern Specification) makes me lean toward it being a private venture at RSAF. Unless others know more?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Many thanks for posting this most interesting artical.

BSA gun-layer

https://imgur.com/a/1FC9VdM

The BSA Gun Laying Trainer Outfit-in New Zealand
    The layer came in a sizable green painted steel trunk which also contained a motor,pulleys and flexible steel wires. Also included was a set of targets.Miniature,tanks,trucks and telegraph poles! All made from black rubber and nicely marked with the NZ Defence logo and the date. The whole set-up was laid out on a field in a triangular shape.The wire traversing the base of the triangle had the targets attached to it. A tank-a Valentine,with gun laying trainer fitted ,was at the apex of the triangle. A chap, manning the vehicle's two-pounder gun with a pellet-shooting insert, endeavoured to hit the rubber targets as the motorised base wire paraded them before the muzzle of his gun.
    I was in the army at the time(1955) but didn't ever see any cavalry playing with this quaint BSA-made gadget.
    Pic.BSA Gallery.

On the subject of an Enfield air rifle, has anyone bought this BB Lee Enfield? It's not cheap but looks great fun!

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...4-5mm-bb/20445
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    On the subject of an Enfield air rifle, has anyone bought this BB Lee Enfield? It's not cheap but looks great fun!

I'd love one of these. It'd make an excellent trainer for when I use my real one; but 3 things work against it.
    Smooth-bore, so no good much further than about 8-10 yards.
    VERY expensive, considering it's not much more than a cheap, pot metal toy.
    Nobody seems to have them.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Training

I know that in the 80s the British army trialed a .223 aircartridge......
    I became a bit of a quest for me to track some down and yes it did exist, in both servo and tandem versions, I found the drawings sitting on a shelf and just had to prove it to myself....an exact replica .223, which answered a few other questions I had. Mike Saxby tried again with Airmunitions to supply both military and Police markets with air powered replacements as training aids.....I particularly like the 37mm and 40mm versions!!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I know that in the 80s the British army trialed a .223 aircartridge......
    I became a bit of a quest for me to track some down and yes it did exist, in both servo and tandem versions, I found the drawings sitting on a shelf and just had to prove it to myself....an exact replica .223, which answered a few other questions I had. Mike Saxby tried again with Airmunitions to supply both military and Police markets with air powered replacements as training aids.....I particularly like the 37mm and 40mm versions!!
    l had one of the converted Enfield 303 rifles that Saxby&Palmer did. which used their tandem cartridge. nice rifle to shoot as you were shooting a piece of history, the downsize was all the pumping you had to do with the cartridges. l sold it before it had to go onto a FAC as l would have kept it other wise.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    l had one of the converted Enfield 303 rifles that Saxby&Palmer did. which used their tandem cartridge. nice rifle to shoot as you were shooting a piece of history, the downsize was all the pumping you had to do with the cartridges. l sold it before it had to go onto a FAC as l would have kept it other wise.
    Likewise....I had a .303 and a few Heralds which took a rimmed or rimless case in approximately .308/.303 size, but it was the earlier development of a 'training' round that interested me, they also did a .38 training round. Others will know of this as a dustbin round due to its shape and it's inefficiency ment that's all it was good for lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I like the way that they have used a picture of an actual SMLE at the top, which only emphasises that the airgun replica doesn’t look quite right.