Thread: Pellet for the Haenel 28-R, the irony.

Pellet for the Haenel 28-R, the irony.

Using round ball ammo for the Haenel 28-R has been the norm. I then saw the original instructions on a old box and no, they are using diablo pellets. But pellets were shorter back then. I have tried vintage pellets with some luck but often they are not consistent, hard to find and expensive. Low and behold I tried the common Crosman Premier Wadcutters and yes it cycles perfectly. Cheap common answer how often does that work?

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Good discovery - pity these pellet are not easily available over here. Have you tried any other wadcutters? Maybe its not so much the length of the pellet but more the fact that with wadcutters, the head of the one in the feed tube doesn't sit in the hollow of the pellet in the breech block and so "chopping" is less likely when the action is snapped shut? It would be nice to know if other brands of wadcutters could work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Good discovery - pity these pellet are not easily available over here. Have you tried any other wadcutters? Maybe its not so much the length of the pellet but more the fact that with wadcutters, the head of the one in the feed tube doesn't sit in the hollow of the pellet in the breech block and so "chopping" is less likely when the action is snapped shut? It would be nice to know if other brands of wadcutters could work as well.
    RWS Hobbys seem to worked as well. I think it’s the length and flat head giving a better surface to slide. Need to try Hobbys in my 22 since Crosman no longer makes a Wadcutters in 22.

I think the genius of this repeating design gets overlooked? The loading tube goes through the piston like the pistols with a concentric barrel? The loading gate has double leather breech seals and the machining is so precise and robust? Up to 20 shots my .177 was at 340 FPS. I think it’s a superior pistol to the Tell 3 really.
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-05-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    RWS Hobbys seem to worked as well.
    Hobbys seem to work well in almost anything!

Reportedly, they are good in Crosman 600s. They worked well through my El Gamo Gamatic (“ASI Paratrooper Repeater”). And they group well at sensible wadcutter ranges in just about anything I have shot them through in either calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Hobbys seem to work well in almost anything!

Reportedly, they are good in Crosman 600s. They worked well through my El Gamo Gamatic (“ASI Paratrooper Repeater”). And they group well at sensible wadcutter ranges in just about anything I have shot them through in either calibre.
    They work in the 10 round magazine in the Crosman 400 repeating rifle as well.

I have a Mod.28-R that I have had for many years that would not function properly with any pellet or ball either vintage or new and in the end I dismissed the pistol as a very well made but almost unusable collectors item.
    Having seen this thread I bought a tin of "Premier Super Match" pellets by Crosman which are 7.9 Gr. as are the ones used in the original post,they came from J Ramsbottom in UK.
    Much to my surprise the pistol works faultlessly with these wadcutter type pellets,
    Many thanks Flint!!
    I tried to post a photo of the UK available pellet tin along with my 28-R but was unsuccessful,couldn't work out how to do it.