Thread: HW100 action rocking in the stock!

HW100 action rocking in the stock!

Hi, a bloke up the lane had bought himself a brand new 100 rifle and asked me to zero it for him. During the process I realised something was loose which turned out to be the action rocking up and down in the stock. When I removed the stock I noticed a small raised ridge where the rear stock screw goes in. Is this normal?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

This issue has been raised on forums and some people have resorted to a bit of wood reworking or shimming as necessary in order to stabilise the action. Owners may understandably not be keen to do this themselves with a new gun, not least because other issues may come to light which necessitate a warranty return. I owned a HW100T without any problems, although frequent reports of air leaks and accuracy problems do come up on forums. Barrel quality seems variable (this unrelated to the specific issue of a batch defective barrels lacking fully threaded muzzles which HW addressed). I much prefer the AA S400 - not relevant to the question asked, I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundshot View Post
    This issue has been raised on forums and some people have resorted to a bit of wood reworking or shimming as necessary in order to stabilise the action. Owners may understandably not be keen to do this themselves with a new gun, not least because other issues may come to light which necessitate a warranty return. I owned a HW100T without any problems, although frequent reports of air leaks and accuracy problems do come up on forums. Barrel quality seems variable (this unrelated to the specific issue of a batch defective barrels lacking fully threaded muzzles which HW addressed). I much prefer the AA S400 - not relevant to the question asked, I accept.
    What about glass bedding the breach block in the stock, leaving everything else free floating
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Either remove the raised lump on the wood or do what i have done on other rifles. I use the double sided sticky pads from auto parts shops that are used to stick number plates to trailor boards. They are thin and spongy with a piece of protective tape on each side. Stick to the inside of your stock but leave the other side with the tape on they work a treat.
    mk2 rapid.22

Thanks for the replies chaps, the raised bit is actually on the bottom of the block not the wood. Really my question is do all hw100's have the raised bit on the base of the block? It's only about 5-6mm wide by 1mm high.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Anyone?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

The barrelled action is fixed to the stock by the rear screw and the barrel band . The cylinder is not rigidly attached to the receiver and is not part of the receiver to stock fixing. If the action is rocking, either the barrel is loose in the receiver or the front barrel band screw is loose or the barrel is not a tight fit in the band. Either the band o ring is missing or its section is too small.

Thanks for the reply, all screws tight, brand new gun but the front screw is never going to be a positive location as it only attaches to the barrel band. The rear screw should pull the action snugly to the stock but the action only sits on the narrow raised portion of the base of the block as I described above. If there is free play at the forward stock screw position this will allow the action to rock. Do all the HW 100's have the raised portion on the base of the block? Or does the stock normally have a rebate to accommodate this?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

The raised ridge is there to allow the barrelled action to sit in the stock completely stress free with the barrel being supported by the front band. If the barreled action is rocking with front and rear stock screws tight, the barrel must be sloppy in the front band.

My KT has this raised portion , I never had an issue with it, however I made an ally stock for the gun and had to relieve a section below it to enable it to bolt up square .

the raised bit is normal,leave it alone,, all you have to do is cut a cotton bud (the plastic stem)to fit across the front of block an tighten down ,job sorted an no messing with stock or block, when you have done that remove front barrel o-ring an check you can see (air) all around, (might need a torch) if all ok refit o-ring if not ,a little plastic washer under the front support.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Thanks for the confirmation chaps. Seems an odd design feature but I guess there must be a reason. The gun grouped OK so I handed it back. I guess any future issues can easily be sorted with a bit of shim. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

The 100 action is two parts screwed together. By tightening the front and rear retention bolts you could bend the action out of alignment. My stock had a similar issue and the remedy was to add timber to the base to fill in a milled section then flatten the lot so the action sat square. I do not think anything other than a flat action bed will work. Bedding will only work if the action is not tightened to the degree that the action gets bent. A A metal ruler straight edge on the top of the breech block and the front rail will tell you a lot
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I find that the stocks on the HW100 are absolutely shocking in their shape and fit, both to the average person and to the action.

Both of mine had play between the action and woodwork with the screws tight.

On one of the rear bolts i had to put a washer under the bolt head to stop it bottoming out before it was tight.

I don't know who they use to model their stocks but the pistol grip is huge, and i don't have small hands, and as for the thumbhole stock, well i sold that straight away and replaced it with a superb Custom Stocks model.

It's a good job the rifle is accurate.

agree with you bud