Thread: PCP Internal Ballistics

PCP Internal Ballistics

Although I don't shoot PCPs myself, I'm interested in airguns of all types, and what makes them tick, as I'm sure are most enthusiasts.

Hard Air Magazine often produce some very interesting articles. Indeed there was a mini-series on PCP pressures / efficiency a short while ago.

Although I'm hopeless at doing links, have a look at today's instalment, peeps, discussing pressure / valve dwell and its effect on velocity / energy in non- regulated PCPs. Very interesting and some handy graphs.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

While I cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the articles on PCPs the problem I have with this publication is that whenever they publish anything associated with aeroballistics it is not particularly scientifically correct. Indeed one of their "experts" writing on another forum about a series of tests to measure pellet BCs showed complete ignorance of the fundamental basics of ballistic coefficients which does not inspire confidence that anything written about a subject you are not expert in is going to be a good guideline.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Here’s the link Tony.

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-colu...al-ballistics/

There’s some interesting stuff on that site and the author of that article has built some interesting looking guns.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    While I cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the articles on PCPs the problem I have with this publication is that whenever they publish anything associated with aeroballistics it is not particularly scientifically correct. Indeed one of their "experts" writing on another forum about a series of tests to measure pellet BCs showed complete ignorance of the fundamental basics of ballistic coefficients which does not inspire confidence that anything written about a subject you are not expert in is going to be a good guideline.
    I shall preserve my facility to rant until they get on to terminal ballistics. 90% of “information” on the internet about terminal/wound ballistics (whether airguns or firearms) is rubbish.

I shall also be generous, and assume that what Bob on HAM will write will not be rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    Cheers, xbow.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!