Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW 45 177 or 22

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?

HW 45 177 or 22

I'm thinking of yet again buying another HW45

I've a couple of 177's in the past but didn't like their harshness. I soon sold them on. Now, crazily, I'm giving thought to buying another. But I'm wondering if a 22 would be nicer? As I can only shoot at short range (seldom over 8yds) a 22 should be perfectly accurate- as my 2240 and crosman 600 are- Any thoughts?
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I've never noticed any difference in accuracy between the two calibres.
    177 flies further.
    .22 better can basher.
    As with most springers the .22 is softer to shoot and you just use full power all the time.

I solve the problem by having one of each!

Easiest solution would be to get one and then the barrel in the other calibre as the barrels are easily interchangeable. Should be able to order one from the German website (sportwaffen schneider I believe) direct to your door while we're not out of the EU without having to send another barrel in etc. to get replaced. I'll let someone else confirm that though.

Thanks for the replies.
    Decided I'm going to look for a 22. None in the sales section so I'll post a wanted thread. Looked on the German Site- they're about £50 cheaper than here brand new but inc tax. Even with postage it'd still be cheaper. I may go that route. I quite fancy a doer-upper for a project!

I have a .22 & I can definitely say it really is a can masher !

I have both .177 and .22 HW45's and don't find the .22 noticeably any less harsh or smoother than the .177 to shoot,so I would suggest choose calibre based on other criteria.

2 in 1

I like the barrel change idea. One pistol....two calibers. I've owned all the calibers and they are all great pistols. The barrels are easy to change.

Which calibre

I have a HW45, .22 awesome air pistol. I simply purchased a .177 barrel of a guy on here, 5 mins to change barrels. The gun is much nicer to shoot as a .22.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    I'm thinking of yet again buying another HW45

I've a couple of 177's in the past but didn't like their harshness. I soon sold them on. Now, crazily, I'm giving thought to buying another. But I'm wondering if a 22 would be nicer? As I can only shoot at short range (seldom over 8yds) a 22 should be perfectly accurate- as my 2240 and crosman 600 are- Any thoughts?
    A guy on freeads makes Beautiful Grips for Hw45 and Webleys well worth the £35 price tag.He’s a great guy and Housebound after an illness.I’m having a set for a 45 I’m picking up from eredel.

I ahd a .25 barrel, never used it though, it came as an extra, i sold it on

Guys- thanks for your replies. I think I'm now sorted

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    A guy on freeads makes Beautiful Grips for Hw45 and Webleys well worth the £35 price tag.He’s a great guy and Housebound after an illness.I’m having a set for a 45 I’m picking up from eredel.
    That's got me interested- any links or pointers to help me look at what he does please?

BigEars Guest
    I owned one in 0.22 which I felt was nice and controllable with a soft recoil. I did try a 0.177 but found it a little snappier. I preferrred the 0.22. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I owned one in 0.22 which I felt was nice and controllable with a soft recoil. I did try a 0.177 but found it a little snappier. I preferrred the 0.22. Hope that helps.
    Thanks Alan- in fact I bought a 22 and you're right it is much, much nicer to shoot. Amazingly accurate. The 2 177'sI've in the past were uncomfortable to shoot and I couldn't hit a barn door with them! I'm very happy with my 'new' 22

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    I ahd a .25 barrel, never used it though, it came as an extra, i sold it on
    Hhmmm.....25 caliber barrel for the HW 45?? I am aware of .177 / .22 / and .20 caliber for the HW 45. Are you sure it was .25 cal. ?