Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA L 1920s ?

BSA L 1920s ?

I have a BSA L .177 which i will be selling shortly
    I have included some pics and would appreciate advice with age value etc please
    It has what i take to be a a broad arrow mark on the stock which has 2 number within it I think its 93 or 95 ?
    full working order and not in bad condition i feel
    Has a reg number on the sight and no. 1 by the tap load hole

Stock length as marked on stock 14 1/4

serial number L.37703

Many thanks

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/Gu...ibrary/BSA%20L
    Last edited by Grahamjohn; 11-06-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot some info

BSA L prefix were made between 1919 and 1936

Yours has the later style of stock and semi high serial number, so I would say 1930 onwards as for age (could be wrong, might have just had a stock change).

No Idea what the mark on the wood is, could just be from the retailer.

Some rear sights had the patent number on.

The number 1 above the pellet hole just signify's its a "number 1 bore". Meaning its .177.

Condition wise it is pretty standard, neither good nor bad. One thing though, does it have any etching left on top of the cylinder? If it does the value will be a bit higher.

Stock marking 14 1/4 means its a 14 1/4 inch stock which is what most had so again, pretty standard.

So looks like a pretty standard L pattern BSA. Quite popular with bell target shooters since they are deadly accurate and not too unwieldy to handle.

Price wise I would say between £140 and £170 (my opinion based on what I can see in photos) Add a bit more if etching is still visible.

Someone on here tried to sell a similar L pattern for £200 I think. Ended up breaking it for spares since no one showed much interest at that price.

So somewhere betweeen £140 and £170 seems good and at that price I dont think you will have it for much longer. Very popular air rifles due to their quality.

Again all my own opinion based on the pictures and what I have seen them go for.

Bsa light pattern

Thank you, was aiming for around £200 including postage so as i thought
    what etching should i be looking for ? Would be a shame to split for spares but if thats the market forces then so be it.
    Not bad for a 90 year old rifle

There was originally etching on top of the cylinder. But it wore off quite easily and the majority of them no longer have any etching left. Those that some how still do have any etching are worth more. Simply due to the rarity.

£200 is a tad high in my opinion. Though you might get it.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi l would go along with the value of £150-170 just my take on it, as l have sold BSAs in that condition for those prices. but l have seen them addvertised for more.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamjohn View Post

Thank you, was aiming for around £200 including postage so as i thought
    what etching should i be looking for ? Would be a shame to split for spares but if thats the market forces then so be it.
    BBS Member NeilfromLincoln had the same chain of thought as you very recently, and after a month plus of not attracting a buyer at £200 posted for his 1920s BSA Light Pattern, rather than go for a reduction to £170 posted/£160 collect as suggested by the membership after he started a thread on the topic (ergo why wouldn't it sell at £200 posted), he opted for the 'break and sell for spares' tact, and still has bits unsold now, several weeks on, so please think long and hard on this, as £160 now is better than selling half the bits for £90 via many posted parcels, only to be left with a few bits which seem not to sell?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Im just clearing out things i no longer need, i will do what it needs im afraid though regardless of some posts i have interest at the price i stated

https://s1364.photobucket.com/user/G...oeek0.jpg.html

Full length pic as asked for

Bsa light pattern

Well if i send it parcelforce tracked total price £195 so that would value the rifle at £175

Thanks for your interest

If you have interest at £200, we’ll done. I think they are great rifles and it is comforting to see their value on the increase. I sold 2 in excellent condition last year and raised less than £350 for the pair.

Well if i send it parcelforce tracked total price £195 so that would value the rifle at £175

Thanks for your interest
    The news for you is even better then, as I posted a 1930s BSA Standard Long Tom last week via 48 hour Parcel Force Tracked and Traced and it only cost me £13.95.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post

If you have interest at £200, we’ll done. I think they are great rifles and it is comforting to see their value on the increase. I sold 2 in excellent condition last year and raised less than £350 for the pair.
    Yep, as Pete says, good news if you have interest at that price, as I paid £175 delivered for mine only last February.

Im just clearing out things i no longer need, i will do what it needs im afraid ...
    Hope do what it needs doesn't mean take a £175 (Max) rifle that you can't sell for £200 and strip it for bits out of spite, then sell half the bits and end up with £90 and a pile of spares no one wants?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Im sorry to that, you sound unhappy about that

2nd person to add to my ignore list......
    Negative people are bad for the us all

Oh dear, what happened there?