Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA L 1920s ?

a chap with too much opinion and a chip on both shoulders..... ah well

Are you referring to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Oh dear, what happened there?
    Think the guy totally misread you there Peter. If they came to Kempton they would see these rifles stacked up for sale. Our RFD sell them for 150-170, that nice 1905 one I got below was £200. An old chap came in the other day with one in its original wooden box, asked for £20 !

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I paid £160 for a very nice original condition straight stock 1910 light pattern.
    Having done some research while I was looking for one, that did seem to be the going rate for a private sale.
    Even shops that have overheads don’t charge that much more, unless they are in exceptional condition.

I think if you do a search on this site for previous sales you soon get an idea of prices that they go for.

Matt.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

Think the guy totally misread you there Peter. If they came to Kempton they would see these rifles stacked up for sale. Our RFD sell them for 150-170, that nice 1905 one I got below was £200. An old chap came in the other day with one in its original wooden box, asked for £20 !

Baz

Baz, that is such a lovely old Gal ... Much better than mine which is seventeen years newer than yours so not as intrinsically collectable, but mine is mine and I am very happy with it ( as ever, am easily pleased ) ... Anyway, as for the chap who wanted £20 for his boxed example, tell him I'll give him £30, a six bottle pack of Doombar, and more gratitude and thanks than he could shake a suitably coated stick at.

Ps. If the comments were aimed at Pete, think you have nailed the problem: misenterpretation?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamjohn View Post
    2nd person to add to my ignore list......
    Negative people are bad for the us all
    Can you add me to the list too, please? I agree with Peter (Binners) that £200 is probably a bit high for a Light pattern in the condtion yours is in, mainly because there were so many made and so many are on the market. Personally I would only pay £200 for one with visible etching.

That's not to say £200 is not perfecty good value, because it is, but tens of thousands were built and they last forever... market forces and all that...

Breaking a BSA for spares is a big undertaking for the sake of a few extra quid too.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

No it wasnt you i blocked, luckily i cant view his opinionated posts any more.

Its a guide anyway not hard and fast, im open to offers

Yes weve all bought a solid gold coin at the car boot for 20p thousands of us. Why doesnt anyone say good luck with you sale or is that the great British way not to be positive or encourage anything or anybody ? No, much easier to be negative Maybe time to use another site........

Then can I assume for some bizarre parallel universe reason you may mean me ??? If it was me, however, you won't be able to answer my question, as you won't know that I've asked it ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Its a guide anyway not hard and fast, im open to offers

Yes weve all bought a solid gold coin at the car boot for 20p thousands of us. Why doesnt anyone say good luck with you sale or is that the great British way not to be positive or encourage anything or anybody ? No, much easier to be negative Maybe time to use another site........

Graham.

Anymore unwarranted personal attacks on well respected members of the Collectors section and I will be putting you on everyone's ignore list.

Please take note.

This isnt a personal attack on anyone as you can read, What on this good earth brings you to that conclusion ?? like everyone else on here im allowed an opinion, its not personal like others, please block away as i have. A lot of the comments are negative and that does not promote anything in anyones world. It just promotes negativity.... my glass is half full and always will be.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Why doesnt anyone say good luck with you sale or is that the great British way not to be positive or encourage anything or anybody ? No, much easier to be negative Maybe time to use another site........
    Many people ask for valuations on this forum and always get a balanced response from collectors who have personal experience of buying and selling the items concerned. One should be happy that these collectors take the trouble to respond, after all there is nothing in it for them. If you don’t like the responses that that they give because they do not live up to your expectations, then it is not their fault. Perhaps you wouId prefer a deliberately inflated valuation and meaningless words of encouragement. Comforting maybe, but you will be left wondering why you still have the gun on your hands a year down the line.

I know little about the valuation of BSA air rifles, but I have followed this thread out of general interest and in my opinion the valuations and comments put forward have been perfectly balanced and informative. If it had been me seeking this valuation I would have been very grateful for these responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Baz, that is such a lovely old Gal ... Much better than mine which is seventeen years newer than yours so not as intrinsically collectable, but mine is mine and I am very happy with it ( as ever, am easily pleased ) ... Anyway, as for the chap who wanted £20 for his boxed example, tell him I'll give him £30, a six bottle pack of Doombar, and more gratitude and thanks than he could shake a suitably coated stick at.

Ps. If the comments were aimed at Pete, think you have nailed the problem: misenterpretation?
    The RFD told me he paid the guy more than the old guy asked and just before I arrived on the scene sold it to a regular customer for £300. Apparently the box is worth more than the rifle.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

please block away as i have.
    Ok....

Maybe time to use another site........
    Please do...

Nothing said on this thread that I can see was in the least bit negative. As John righty says, positivity for it's own sake does nobody any good.

I suspect you're the last in a long line of people who have a fixed idea of a gun's worth and don't like it one bit when you discover it's inflated. Best to be philosophical about values. You'll not be disappointed then.

EDIT: too late, Mick's pressed his Big Red Button.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

The RFD told me he paid the guy more than the old guy asked and just before I arrived on the scene sold it to a regular customer for £300. Apparently the box is worth more than the rifle.

Baz
    So I'll keep and consume the Doombar myself then (lol). Yes I remember one of the HOLTS auction chaps telling me that about pre-war BSA boxes, and I can actually get my head around why. Cheers for the up-date.