Thread: How to hit a target?

How to hit a target?

This is perhaps a bit silly but...

I'd be interested in how folk get ready to pull the trigger. To explain, I tend find my favored method is to track the sights up to my target from below, pause briefly, then pull the trigger.
    Whereas, my nephew tends get to the target by whatever method, wait a painfully long time, and only when completely satisfied all is well in the world does he pull the trigger.

The funny thing, our shooting results are near identical though he'd be rubbish in a timed event.

I'm interested in how other folk prep in the moments prior to firing.

as a match shooter and plinker always from above ,lower and lower breathing out and taking up the slack.
    which sounds simple,..if only...
    best just talk about pies

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Like your nephew I favour the long hold and surprise break (so not actually pulling the trigger) but this is not usually practical in a timed event. I have never seen a top precision shooter do anything different. As craig9mm says, always lower the gun onto the target.

The "compressed break" (acquire the sights and target quickly and start applying pressure to the trigger as they settle) is my preferred style when shooting rapid disciplines.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Whatever works for you as an individual.

Depending on discipline....target or sporting etc... prone bench freestyle etc.... there may be more than 1 technique employed. I have several. My bench style is totally different to standing for example.

There are techniques that have developed for good reason but that said... one might be unable to get comfortable with what is considered to be a classic style.

It is more difficult to show in shooting but Archery... it stands out like a sore thumb. One guy I shot with had the most kackhanded and uncomfortable style I have ever seen. Looked like he was fitting when he loosed the shot BUT he did the same thing everytime and was a damned good bowman.

Comfort is king in all things. Rifle fit..... technique.....repeatability..... timing... so many elements

Personally I train for deliberate paced and cyclic as well as shooting to speed but both with as tight a groups as I can possibly muster.

I shot better with a bow shooting fast at close range than I did with a deliberate cycle. That switched at long range but not by much.

I shoot an HW 100 and now I have put a biathion lever on it I can get through 4 mags faster than I can 1 at normal speed.

But I really like pushing the envelope and speed shooting flicks my switch. The downside is its easier to fluff and you have to keep reloading and refilling the bottle every 5 minutes.

Adapt and survive
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

we had a thing that had you put your rifle down and walk a quarter of a mile back. then run back aim and fire. its all in the breathing.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Move slowly from left to right then a pause when on target, Fire

The best advice I had on shooting springers standing is -when you see it shoot it.
    Attempts to hold onto the target usually fail!

The four Fundamental rules of Marksmanship rule are the ones to follow!

The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

The weapon must point naturally at the target without undue physical effort.

Sight alignment and sight picture must be correct.

The shot must be released and followed through without any undue physical disturbance to the position.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    we had a thing that had you put your rifle down and walk a quarter of a mile back. then run back aim and fire. its all in the breathing.
    Sounds like an easy version of "The Gun Run"!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    The four Fundamental rules of Marksmanship rule are the ones to follow!

The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

The weapon must point naturally at the target without undue physical effort.

Sight alignment and sight picture must be correct.

The shot must be released and followed through without any undue physical disturbance to the position.
    I agree and I think the second one is the most important to me. I also think it is the one that gets forgotten the most especially when shooting recoiless PCPs. They are too forgiving
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Thanks for the replies.

I tend use a camera tripod as "the rest" and shall try tracking down to targets.

What does the bloke from The Brahan Seers place mean by "follow through"? I thought that was a golf thing.

Follow through is holding your aim until the pellet hits the target so ensuring that you do not move to quickly whilst or after pulling the trigger and spoiling the shot.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I get my breathing right before squeezing trigger off

And if the rifle is in a proper, correct hold, the crosshair will rise and fall vertically through the target. Once breathing is regulated, breathe about half of the air out, hold your breath, take the shot and breathe again. Simple. All this sweeping through the target adds another variable... Timing.