Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell target "bell"

Bell target "bell"

I made a bell target holder the other day and I used an old crosscutter disc to serve as the "bell". It makes a very loud noise when hit by the pellet around its periphery it's taken hundreds of shots from some powerfull airguns and is holding well. Yesterday I changed a disc rotor on my motor bike and that too rings loudly when struck .
    Just mentioning a couple of alternatives to the traditional bell that usually get chucked out but can still be put to good use elsewhere 😀

I'm sure one of the bell targets at the Hollow uses a circular saw blade.

Thanks for the tip, i have the old discs off my sons Subaru Imprezza in the garage, might try those

Stainless steel soup ladle from Poundland (£1.00) Just cut the handle off and trim up on the grinder. Nice clear ring, about 4".

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post

Stainless steel soup ladle from Poundland (£1.00) Just cut the handle off and trim up on the grinder. Nice clear ring, about 4".
    I like that😀
    Quite a few metallic objects make a loud noise when struck in a particular place. Steel tubing is one of these that when suspended like a wind chime, emits a loud noise when struck smartly.

We use old fire alarm bells at our club on the zero range,I’m a sparky so get quite a few for free when installing new systems,hard wearing and make a great noise too

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Correct, Mark, the zeroing plate uses a saw blade to give a sound if you hit the centre hole.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On the 10mm and 20mm bell targets I used old telecom bells.

I also use old fire alarm bells or phone bells but have also used bmx stunt pegs as these give a good ring when hit with a pellet you can pick up cheap cast bells for £2 each at one of the pound shops the bracket usually has a farm animal on they are in the gardening section

Like the saw blade idea, saves binning them. Cheers👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Correct, Mark, the zeroing plate uses a saw blade to give a sound if you hit the centre hole.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    T 20 I'm fascinated by this, I guess I need to get out more
    I've never seen one of these before. Is it suitable for air rifles or powder burners?
    I'm also struggling to see how the counter balance weights on the top sections reset the plates
    Any insights would be much appreciated
    Ooopz the artist formerly known as Eomer

I got a sweater for Christmas, what I really wanted was a moaner

Quote Originally Posted by Ooopz View Post
    I've never seen one of these before. Is it suitable for air rifles or powder burners?
    I'm also struggling to see how the counter balance weights on the top sections reset the plates
    Me too, should not the two upper half plates automatically hang down by themselves after taking a hit?
    I like the design of of it.
    Looks like a summer project is coming up😁

Quote Originally Posted by Ooopz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Me too, should not the two upper half plates automatically hang down by themselves after taking a hit?
    I like the design of of it.
    Looks like a summer project is coming up😁
    My zeroing plate is pretty much a copy of a target which AirArms once sold :-

image.jpeg

As I was building mine for use at the Boinger Bash I made the quarters out of 4mm plate to ensure it could take a lot of punishment.
    Obviously the bottom plates needed counterweights to keep them upright, but when testing I found the top plates needed counterweights as well to increase their deflection.

Basically the nearer the plates are to their balance point the further they deflect and they also deflect for a longer period of time giving a better indication of where you've hit.

I only built this for 12ftlb use but there's no reason why It couldn't be made out of thicker plate for rimfire use.

All the best Mick

Having spent many a happy hour flinging lead at this, I can say it's a bit addictive.

Having spent many a happy hour flinging lead at this, I can say it's a bit addictive.
    I'm glad to hear that, Mark --- my mate, Deisel Dave, reckons it's pointless me putting any targets out other than the 75 yard Quigley Bucket, as folks just sit there all day shooting at that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS7Usvz0Vk

Aha! The Bucket exposed in all its glory!

Lovely!

Also liking some of the other ideas above......soup ladle sounds a great, cheap one. And I'm sure I'll be able to obtain plenty of worn-out brake discs from the workshop at work.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!