Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the naming of airguns

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Question about the naming of airguns

It struck me that airguns can be divided into two groups when it comes to naming. There are those known just by the manufacturer’s (or sometimes distributor’s) name and a model number, and those that are given a colourful nickname, such as “Titan”, “Hurricane” , “Scorpion” etc. I think the nicknaming idea started in America with the 1876 Champion air pistol but can’t be sure. I was wondering when the idea first caught on in the UK or Germany and what were the first non-US made air rifles and pistols to be nicknamed?

One contender could be the Westley Richards “Highest Possible” pistol I suppose?

Is it my imagination, or were the German manufacturers noticeably reluctant to nickname their products?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Is it my imagination, or were the German manufacturers noticeably reluctant to nickname their products?
    A good example of this reticence was the difference between the modest Falke (Falcon) rifles in the 1950s and the more flamboyant distributor Fern Kauf Nord, which resold the Falke underlevers (at a hefty premium) after giving them exotic names.

The plain Falke 80 became the "Königstiger" (Bengal Tiger or King Tiger).

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....re-circa-1952/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I was just re-reading a thread on FKN and names and saw a post from Mike Driskill pointing out that a feared German tank during WW2 was also called a 'Tiger'. If you'll excuse me quoting myself, I posted this in response:

"I was aware of the "Königstiger" tank of the same name but your post has made me think. Considering the War had been over only a few short years, it must have been a somewhat bold move for a German company to give a home grown (air) rifle the very same name as an iconic battlefield weapon of the defeated German army!

The Tiger tank was built in Kassel, Hesse, which is about 80 miles south of the site of the Falke factory, near Hannover. I found the following description of the Tiger on Wikipedia, which is amusing when you think how the name was used by FKN.

The Falke mod 80 rifle was largely hand-made from the highest quality materials. Its rear sights alone were a marvel of detailed, labour intensive machining and finishing. The high cost of making the Falke underlevers 80 and 90 could easily have played a part in the company going out of business less than a decade after it started.

From Wikipedia: "While the Tiger I was feared by many of its opponents, it was over-engineered, used expensive and labour-intensive materials and production methods, and was time-consuming to produce. Only 1,347 were built between August 1942 and August 1944." I suppose you could argue that the German High Command's decision to build the Tiger tanks contributed to the Nazi regime 'going out of business' too..."
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I was just re-reading a thread on FKN and names and saw a post from Mike Driskill pointing out that a feared German tank during WW2 was also called a 'Tiger'. If you'll excuse me quoting myself, I posted this in response:

"I was aware of the "Königstiger" tank of the same name but your post has made me think. Considering the War had been over only a few short years, it must have been a somewhat bold move for a German company to give a home grown (air) rifle the very same name as an iconic battlefield weapon of the defeated German army!

The Tiger tank was built in Kassel, Hesse, which is about 80 miles south of the site of the Falke factory, near Hannover. I found the following description of the Tiger on Wikipedia, which is amusing when you think how the name was used by FKN.

The Falke mod 80 rifle was largely hand-made from the highest quality materials. Its rear sights alone were a marvel of detailed, labour intensive machining and finishing. The high cost of making the Falke underlevers 80 and 90 could easily have played a part in the company going out of business less than a decade after it started.

From Wikipedia: "While the Tiger I was feared by many of its opponents, it was over-engineered, used expensive and labour-intensive materials and production methods, and was time-consuming to produce. Only 1,347 were built between August 1942 and August 1944." I suppose you could argue that the German High Command's decision to build the Tiger tanks contributed to the Nazi regime 'going out of business' too..."

This is why I love the BBS collectors section --- you always get the best FKN information on here.

What ?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    This is why I love the BBS collectors section --- you always get the best FKN information on here. What ?
    FKN right.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Well, nobody has made any suggestions yet as to the first nicknamed German or British airguns so I am going to stick my neck out and say:

German, air pistol: Victoria (Eisenwerke Gaggenau)
    German air rifle: Gem or Millita?
    British air pistol: Highest Possible
    British air rifle: Demon (Midland Gun Company)

Can anyone improve on this?

German, air pistol: MF (Eisenwerke Gaggenau), Diana
    German air rifle: Columbia (O Will)
    British air pistol: 'Highest Possible'
    British air rifle: ‘H’ (the Lincoln), Swift
    Last edited by Garvin; 14-06-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Thumbs up

I always loved how air arms named all their first air rifles after after famous winds -seems very fitting for "air" rifles. The Khamsin, Camargue, se90 , mistral etc all early air arms side levers with great names IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    German, air pistol: MF (Eisenwerke Gaggenau), Diana
    German air rifle: Columbia (O Will)
    British air pistol: 'Highest Possible'
    British air rifle: ‘H’ (the Lincoln), Swift
    Well, not sure about the MF pistol as I was thinking more along the lines of picturesque descriptive names rather than the initials of the inventor/maker.

Diana? Well yes, a picturesque name but a trademark rather than a specific model.

Columbia ? I am not sure about this either as it seems to be a marketing name used only in America and invented by the American retailers to help sell the gun, rather than it being a name originating from Eisenwerke Gaggenau. At least, I never come a European catalaogue listing this gun with this name, but I would be happy to be corrected.

I wouldn't argue with the others, but wonder where the Lanes' Musketeer would fit in datewise?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Well, not sure about the MF pistol as I was thinking more along the lines of picturesque descriptive names rather than the initials of the inventor/maker.

Diana? Well yes, a picturesque name but a trademark rather than a specific model.

Columbia ? I am not sure about this either as it seems to be a marketing name used only in America and invented by the American retailers to help sell the gun, rather than it being a name originating from Eisenwerke Gaggenau. At least, I never come a European catalaogue listing this gun with this name, but I would be happy to be corrected.

I wouldn't argue with the others, but wonder where the Lanes' Musketeer would fit in datewise?
    I agree the MF is not the most picturesque name! But at least not a manufacturer or model name.

I was thinking of the Will Columbia, John.

and do you think maybe when the Diana trademark was young the fact they were sold as 'the Dianas' is quite like the 'Gem'?

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Big Bertha

Proper name!

I didn't know about the Will Columbia- good call. However, I had a look in the Blue Book and it says that some of the Eisenwerke Gaggenau imported Columbia air rifles were actually stamped with that name, suggesting that the name might be a genuine EG factory name. If so then I guess they would predate the Will Columbia by several years?

I have had second thoughts about the Gems and think that it was a generic name coined by Arbenz for his UK imported EG air rifles, and not a factory name from EG. Could be wrong though.

Big Bertha? You are joshing me?

There's a reference to a couple of early examples of namd air pistols here : https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....um-air-pistol/

Vic Thompson.

Early O. Will Rifle

Based upon the Will catalog post by Danny, there are apparently at least 3 different variations of Will's early breakbarrel rifle as he/they continued to modernize (and economize) this model. The catalog #1700 shown horizontally on that catalog page would presumably be the latest version. The vertical illustrated version shown in the catalog (1701) and as seen in Danny's gallery from Eberhard's collection (with double set triggers, no less!), is probably the second version. This third version shown here is probably the earliest, as it has a deluxe triggerguard and a thumb-release barrel latch as sometimes encountered on early Eisenwerke #2 rifles and the PAFF rifles.

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.com/images/2019/06/19/35364ce7b7d217c8fc5a1b5dc58db741.jpg[/img]

LarryH

Vintage Airguns Gallery