Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous prices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ridiculous prices

Talking about people deluding themselves as to the value of their treasured artefact...

It's amazing to me that people can spend their time advertising fairly common airguns at absurd prices, perhaps in the hope that someone with more money than sense will happen along and pay way over the odds.

It's either self-delusion, extreme laziness in not bothering to research what else is on the market, or worst of all, wilful intent to deceive.

For a particularly egregious example of this, check out this Gunstar advert asking £775 for a boxed Webley Senior. It's either disgraceful or very careless.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...ir-Guns/110485

A smashing example, yes. But really...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

webley how much

Garvin there a lot of good drugs on the street these days so anything goes ,when the affects were off he may drop the price to £300 or may be he has the after market case and oil can he forgot to put in the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Talking about people deluding themselves as to the value of their treasured artefact...

It's amazing to me that people can spend their time advertising fairly common airguns at absurd prices, perhaps in the hope that someone with more money than sense will happen along and pay way over the odds.

It's either self-delusion, extreme laziness in not bothering to research what else is on the market, or worst of all, wilful intent to deceive.

For a particularly egregious example of this, check out this Gunstar advert asking £775 for a boxed Webley Senior. It's either disgraceful or very careless.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...ir-Guns/110485

A smashing example, yes. But really...

Just checked out some of the prices asked for flint and percussion pistols on there, I can assure you that the crazy prices are not just confined to air pistols

The private seller in the Southampton area states the orientation as ambidextrous; I would suggest the pricing is ambitious to say the least, particularly when compared to others of a similar ilk advertised by dealers.
    I wish the seller the best of luck, but I think he/she may still be the owner for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The private seller in the Southampton area states the orientation as ambidextrous; I would suggest the pricing is ambitious to say the least, particularly when compared to others of a similar ilk advertised by dealers.
    I wish the seller the best of luck, but I think he/she may still be the owner for some time to come.
    Ambidextrous, the buyer has to pay double, once for each side.
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

Does anyone know if the pistol is still available? Might be interested . Do you think they might take a coconut in exchange? Would have to put money with it, my way of course.
    Guns and boats .... works for me

Its a hobby, pay the price thats worth it to you.

Dealers? Well frankly there isn't enough in old guns as it is. Not alone. The old guns are only taken in to get customers into the shop to buy other more commercially viable stuff.
    (Making £50 on a gun isn't a profit. I think the take would need to be at least £150 to make commercial sense from a retail outlet.)

Hobby dealers are at best hoping to cover their costs and more likely to make a small loss that their enjoyment of te hobby pays back.
    Without some other form of income then it doesn't make commercial sense.
    For those who do it its for the fun of it all. I'm pleased someone does do it as its fun for me too, if only to look at some lovelies. So thank you.

There will always be chancers or those who just don't know but give it a go at selling something well above the odds. For buyers its your money, and how you spend it is up to you.

There are chancers in every walk of life, and airgun collecting is no different. As always it pays to do your research.

The saying " Everything comes to he who waits" is very true and never more so that in collecting, HOWEVER sometimes the wait is a very long time, so if you have a need for a specific gun to fill a hole in your collection, then it is often worth paying a bit more ( over the market price) to avoid the long wait.

Often the dealers will take a fair offer on stock, as as others have said, no one see's all the time and money spent following up leads and visiting sellers in order to get this wonderful stock. Every time I visit Tim Dyson's stall at Kempton, I am amazed at all the wonderfully rare things on show - which would probably take a collector a lifetime to amass the slow way. I don't begrudge them a fair profit for what they do ( and also its free to look, and to ask questions)

Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware ! Never more true in collecting .

Lakey

Crazy, At our last fair I had one in very similar condition, unboxed for £140 and there was no interest. I must find a box and increase the price by £600

Tim Dyson has a Webley Senior in case with accessories listed for £1295!

Now yes it comes with an original(?) fitted case and pellet tin along with original booklet but with what would be a £200 max air pistol, I cannot see how these extras are worth an extra grand!

Though maybe I am just out of touch with Webley collectors, who known

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Tim Dyson has a Webley Senior in case with accessories listed for £1295!

Now yes it comes with an original(?) fitted case and pellet tin along with original booklet but with what would be a £200 max air pistol, I cannot see how these extras are worth an extra grand!

Though maybe I am just out of touch with Webley collectors, who known
    Cased Webley sets are seen as the pinnacle of many a Webley collection and one such set fetched over £2k at a Holts sale not too long ago.

Original cases are far rarer than the pistols and are a quality item, hence the interest.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Cased Webley sets are seen as the pinnacle of many a Webley collection and one such set fetched over £2k at a Holts sale not too long ago.

Original cases are far rarer than the pistols and are a quality item, hence the interest.

John
    Ahhh ok

Fair enough, I am not a big webley collector so I dont really pay attention as to what they go for. So it is just that I am out of touch

You learn something new everyday.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    The price is what people are willing to pay, and even on here every now and then I see an ad and think "he's having a laugh" - only for a PM to pop up " I'll take this!"

It never seems to happen to me, but TBF I'll look at what things are going for and put in a best guess, so normally it takes a small reduction before the item goes, but I have had my hand bit off a couple of times and thought I probably under sold an item, but if I was happy to advertise it at the price it went for then I can't complain.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Ahhh ok

Fair enough, I am not a big webley collector so I dont really pay attention as to what they go for. So it is just that I am out of touch

You learn something new everyday.
    It took me years to obtain a set and when I finally found one with an oil can, pellet tin and paperwork, you should have seen my grin

John