Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous prices

Ridiculous prices

Talking about people deluding themselves as to the value of their treasured artefact...

It's amazing to me that people can spend their time advertising fairly common airguns at absurd prices, perhaps in the hope that someone with more money than sense will happen along and pay way over the odds.

It's either self-delusion, extreme laziness in not bothering to research what else is on the market, or worst of all, wilful intent to deceive.

For a particularly egregious example of this, check out this Gunstar advert asking £775 for a boxed Webley Senior. It's either disgraceful or very careless.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...ir-Guns/110485

A smashing example, yes. But really...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

webley how much

Garvin there a lot of good drugs on the street these days so anything goes ,when the affects were off he may drop the price to £300 or may be he has the after market case and oil can he forgot to put in the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Talking about people deluding themselves as to the value of their treasured artefact...

It's amazing to me that people can spend their time advertising fairly common airguns at absurd prices, perhaps in the hope that someone with more money than sense will happen along and pay way over the odds.

It's either self-delusion, extreme laziness in not bothering to research what else is on the market, or worst of all, wilful intent to deceive.

For a particularly egregious example of this, check out this Gunstar advert asking £775 for a boxed Webley Senior. It's either disgraceful or very careless.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-web...ir-Guns/110485

A smashing example, yes. But really...

Just checked out some of the prices asked for flint and percussion pistols on there, I can assure you that the crazy prices are not just confined to air pistols

The private seller in the Southampton area states the orientation as ambidextrous; I would suggest the pricing is ambitious to say the least, particularly when compared to others of a similar ilk advertised by dealers.
    I wish the seller the best of luck, but I think he/she may still be the owner for some time to come.

Crazy, At our last fair I had one in very similar condition, unboxed for £140 and there was no interest. I must find a box and increase the price by £600

Tim Dyson has a Webley Senior in case with accessories listed for £1295!

Now yes it comes with an original(?) fitted case and pellet tin along with original booklet but with what would be a £200 max air pistol, I cannot see how these extras are worth an extra grand!

Though maybe I am just out of touch with Webley collectors, who known

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post

Now yes it comes with an original(?) fitted case and pellet tin along with original booklet but with what would be a £200 max air pistol, I cannot see how these extras are worth an extra grand!

Cased Webley sets are seen as the pinnacle of many a Webley collection and one such set fetched over £2k at a Holts sale not too long ago.

Original cases are far rarer than the pistols and are a quality item, hence the interest.

John

I remember a cased one with a replica oil can fetch £1500 about 5 years back. Those canvas cases a rare

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Cased Webley sets are seen as the pinnacle of many a Webley collection and one such set fetched over £2k at a Holts sale not too long ago.

Original cases are far rarer than the pistols and are a quality item, hence the interest.

John
    Ahhh ok

Fair enough, I am not a big webley collector so I dont really pay attention as to what they go for. So it is just that I am out of touch

You learn something new everyday.

Jesim1 is online now Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    The price is what people are willing to pay, and even on here every now and then I see an ad and think "he's having a laugh" - only for a PM to pop up " I'll take this!"

It never seems to happen to me, but TBF I'll look at what things are going for and put in a best guess, so normally it takes a small reduction before the item goes, but I have had my hand bit off a couple of times and thought I probably under sold an item, but if I was happy to advertise it at the price it went for then I can't complain.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I’ve met a few people who have been possibly overcharged for vintage airguns, mainly due to them being new to collecting and not knowing any better, the seller just telling them that’s what they’re worth.
    A few examples are a ratty smoothbore pre war Millita for £250, and a relatively common Gem rifle for £300. Both private sales.

The buyers seemed pleased that they’d bought a real ‘rarity’ and I didn’t have the heart to tell them they were both probably worth half that amount.

It’s s bit out of order that people take advantage like that, but maybe it’s a case of the seller wanting to get back what they paid for it, having overpaid themselves. And so the cycle continues....

JC Militaria on Gstar are always good for a laugh. Them and Tim Dyson give newbies the wrong idea of what stuff is worth IMHO.

Matt.

Ahhh ok

Fair enough, I am not a big webley collector so I dont really pay attention as to what they go for. So it is just that I am out of touch

It took me years to obtain a set and when I finally found one with an oil can, pellet tin and paperwork, you should have seen my grin

John

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Podunk View Post

JC Militaria on Gstar are always good for a laugh. Them and Tim Dyson give newbies the wrong idea of what stuff is worth IMHO

Yep, both always good for a fantasy fiction bed-time read (imho too, that is lol
    ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Ahhh ok

You are not out of touch, just sensible.