Thread: 2nd Batch BSA project

2nd Batch BSA project

Now recently I have slowed down on collecting old BSA/Lincoln Jeffries air rifles. In fact I have sold most of my collection (circumstances forced me to) and at one point I am sure I had over 10 of these rifles (might seem like a small collection to some but with my limited space, it seems a lot!). And I only have my Grandfathers CS prefix, a double seared standard model and a fourth batch BSA left in my collection. And I was not planning on getting anymore (sort of moved onto obsolete calibre guns anyhow) but when I saw this rifle I just could not pass up the chance to buy it.

So I have bought a rather rough looking (bit of an understatement) 2nd batch BSA rifle. Found it on the internet at a incredibly low price of £50! I did not even try to haggle (I have seen people try to sell ones in similar(ish) condition for over £100). So I bought it and add an extra £15 for shipping I have very old and worn looking BSA!

Right ok, ill admit, I might have gotten a wee bit excited when I bought the thing, since it does indeed need a lot of TLC. Covered in rust, cocking arm seems to be stuck, though the seller did say it is in working condition. And I sort of believe him since these things are bullet proof. Cocking arm looks to have a rather odd hole in the middle of it, the screw that holds the cocking arm to the cocking linkage has seen better days, hopefully I can get it out, I do have a spare cocking arm if needed but I think I can do something with it. Front and rear sight look like replacements, again I have plenty of them spare. Looks like someone has done something to the top of the cylinder. There is remnants of something there (see photos below). Stock has a few bumps and nicks and is loose but not too big a deal.

And it is missing some screws ect but I have plenty spares somewhere....

Not bad for £50 I think, worth more in parts to be honest. So even though I said I would not buy anymore, here I am, I plan on restoring the rifle to the best of my ability. Though any input would be nice. Especially about those sights since they looking like they have been there a long time.

Anyway here are some photos I just took of the rifle:

https://imgur.com/gallery/LCQciho

Wish me luck!

Nice that,I like the old bsa rifle,mike

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    soak it in diesel for a while (stock removed, obviously).
    fair chance it should be possible to get it going, just watch out for seized tap, damaged trigger sears etc. don't force anything.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Just had the rifle in bits, piston and seal are actually pretty good, looks like someone has had it out to replace seal/grease the piston recently, also the trigger guard screws were easily removed which also leads me to believe its been apart recently. Bore is surprisingly clean considering the gun is covered in surface rust.

I got some 0000 grade wire wool and Bisley gun oil and have manged to take off most of the surface rust off the barrel and cylinder, lots of the original finish is actually still there, about 70% which is nice.

Managed to get both rear and front sight off, rear was easy, just a bit of wd40 and it came off easily enough. Front sight had been glued on in the past so was a bit tougher. I always use the copper mallet my father gave me for this stuff as it does not damage the sights.

The screw that holds the cocking arm and lever together looks to have been replaced with a steel rod that has been peened over at both ends. Going to be a bit trickier to get out.

The hole on the cocking lever still baffles me, one side goes completely through the wall and the other only part way through. Was someone trying to make a sling mount or something? Again I have a spare cocking arm but I going to try and salvage this one (could leave as is).

Stock plate screws were seized on but a good fitting screwdriver and a gentle but strong twist made them come loose.

Was thinking of refinishing the rifle but depending on what it looks like, I might leave as is.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    As I tend to like roughish guns and guns that may have been messed with a long time ago, if I had that I'd clean it up (like you have) and put those sights back on it. I am wondering if someone fitted those sights for use by cadets or scouts? With the rear being none adjustable for elevation there is no blade to break. That might tie in with the hole in the cocking lever, and like you i am wondering if someone fitted a sling?
    The top of the cylinder looks like it had a scope rail tack welded onto it at some point later on.
    It is never going to be worth much but the sort of gun you wont mind using at all.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    As I tend to like roughish guns and guns that may have been messed with a long time ago, if I had that I'd clean it up (like you have) and put those sights back on it. I am wondering if someone fitted those sights for use by cadets or scouts? With the rear being none adjustable for elevation there is no blade to break. That might tie in with the hole in the cocking lever, and like you i am wondering if someone fitted a sling?
    The top of the cylinder looks like it had a scope rail tack welded onto it at some point later on.
    It is never going to be worth much but the sort of gun you wont mind using at all.
    I also thought that it had a scope rail welded to it on the cylinder but turns out it was a glue like substance and easily came off. So I got lucky there! The marking on the cylinder is still readable and there is only a tiny amount of bluing loss!

As for the holes on the cocking arm, whomever did it got it wrong as they are not even in line! So after a long debate with myself I thought that 'screw' it and used some Chemical metal to plug the holes. So far so good, one side is hardened off and should take some bluing.