Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative spring for a HW99

Alternative spring for a HW99

We have just bought Emma a new 99 in .177. She felt the cocking effort was manageable when trying it on the shop's range but when we went to the club she was really struggling with it after half an hour.
    Is there an alternative spring available that requires less cocking effort that will fit into the gun, If so, will a new guide and top hat be required?
    Is cutting the original spring down an option?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Gary.

Not a new spring, but i have reduced the power of mine & at 7.5ftlb they are a nice rifle to shoot & easy to cock

Hi Gary,

If the power is very healthy, shortening the spring a tad could well be an option.

If going aftermarket, I'd be trying a WonkyDonky spring and guide kit. Very nice in these. I haven't seen Dave on in a while, so not sure if he's contactable? Hope he's okay.

If you can't get hold of him, my next port of call would be Tony at SFS. He specifies his springs to fit the (very good) standatd guide, so just a top hat required then.

Whilst it's in bits, I'd be applying a little high moly content paste to the cocking lever, the cocking shoe "horn" and also to rear of piston skirt.

Some people also remove the spring below the cocking lever "slipper", reducing any pressure there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I think Welsh willy had some made up for em if I remember correctly, they will be high quality springs bud.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Not a new spring, but i have reduced the power of mine & at 7.5ftlb they are a nice rifle to shoot & easy to cock
    Thanks Rob,
    Emma's favourite springer is a HW30 which is about that power but decided on a 99 for plinking a little further out.
    10ft/lbs wouldn't be an issue but we don't really want to go much lower than that.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Gary,

If the power is very healthy, shortening the spring a tad could well be an option.

If going aftermarket, I'd be trying a WonkyDonky spring and guide kit. Very nice in these. I haven't seen Dave on in a while, so not sure if he's contactable? Hope he's okay.

If you can't get hold of him, my next port of call would be Tony at SFS. He specifies his springs to fit the (very good) standatd guide, so just a top hat required then.

Whilst it's in bits, I'd be applying a little high moly content paste to the cocking lever, the cocking shoe "horn" and also to rear of piston skirt.

Some people also remove the spring below the cocking lever "slipper", reducing any pressure there.
    Thanks tony,
    I don't think Dave has been on here for about a month. My 95 was tuned by him and is superb. Am I correct in thinking he rates a Meteor spring in the 99?
    I know he was thinking about reducing his work load but an email won't do any harm, the worst scenario is he isn't doing it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    I think Welsh willy had some made up for em if I remember correctly, they will be high quality springs bud.
    Thanks Matty,
    I've heard about these but I don't know whether they are an easy to cock spring.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Thanks tony,
    I don't think Dave has been on here for about a month. My 95 was tuned by him and is superb. Am I correct in thinking he rates a Meteor spring in the 99?
    I know he was thinking about reducing his work load but an email won't do any harm, the worst scenario is he isn't doing it any more.
    As you say, definitely worth an e-mail, Gary.

If going for another "free style" spring, we'd have to compare measurements; at a guess a Meteor one might well do it. I wonder if a TX200 could well fit the bill, too. LGV too, maybe, and I think JSR were doing the LGV service kits at reasonable money.

Still thinking, though, if you can't get hold of Dave, definitely worth trying SFS, as they do the Imp so have plenty of experience tuning the 99.

They're still sweet at around 10.5ft.lbs in .177.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As you say, definitely worth an e-mail, Gary.

If going for another "free style" spring, we'd have to compare measurements; at a guess a Meteor one might well do it. I wonder if a TX200 could well fit the bill, too. LGV too, maybe, and I think JSR were doing the LGV service kits at reasonable money.

Still thinking, though, if you can't get hold of Dave, definitely worth trying SFS, as they do the Imp so have plenty of experience tuning the 99.

They're still sweet at around 10.5ft.lbs in .177.
    Thanks for your help Tony.
    Looking at knibbs site, they seem to use Titan springs in their Meteor diagrams.

Have a peep on the Protek site, Gary.

There's a specific page just listing springs, I think, and also springs shown on various manufacturer pages.

Hope this helps.

But I WOULD still also be considering the SFS route. Admittedly I've not tried an SFS 99 or The Imp, but his 95 spring is very good indeed.

I have a shauny tuned hw50 it has a titan spring fitted shoots lovely at around 560fps in .22

I have the wd kit in my 99s and it does shoot nicely, if I remember correctly the spring that came with the new top hat a guide was a longer than the original hw spring. I do still have the original spring so I can check if u want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1981 View Post
    I have the wd kit in my 99s and it does shoot nicely, if I remember correctly the spring that came with the new top hat a guide was a longer than the original hw spring. I do still have the original spring so I can check if u want.
    It would be appreciated if you could please.
    Is it easier to cock than the standard spring?

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    It would be appreciated if you could please.
    Is it easier to cock than the standard spring?
    I will pull the spring out of it tomorrow and measure the length for you I can refit the original spring and see if is more difficult it wont take long to do.

From what I remember mine with original internals was stiff to cock and not very smooth. The kit made it less jumpy and a lot smoother to cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1981 View Post
    I will pull the spring out of it tomorrow and measure the length for you I can refit the original spring and see if is more difficult it wont take long to do.

From what I remember mine with original internals was stiff to cock and not very smooth. The kit made it less jumpy and a lot smoother to cock.
    I have spoken to Dave Price and he has some soft springs which he's testing so I'm pretty sure that he will come up with a solution for me.
    Thanks for the offer to strip your gun down but there's no need now.
    Much appreciated.
    Gary.