Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative spring for a HW99

gtfreight,

I like my springers to be around 10 - 10.5 ft.lb.

To this end, I fitted a 0.22" Wonky Donky (Mr. Price) service kit into my 0.177" HW99S.

With no compression washer, the rifle put out a hair under 10 ft.lb.

The cocking was much easier than when the rifle was making ca. 11 ft.lb.

In addition, Welsh Willy has had some softer springs made up for his kits - he will happily supply you with a soft HW99 spring and will also cut it to whatever length you would like.

I once needed a -15 mm spring for my TX, and Welsh Will happily supplied it at no extra cost

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I have spoken to Dave Price and he has some soft springs which he's testing so I'm pretty sure that he will come up with a solution for me.
    Thanks for the offer to strip your gun down but there's no need now.
    Much appreciated.
    Gary.
    No worries offers there if you want tho.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    gtfreight,

To this end, I fitted a 0.22" Wonky Donky (Mr. Price) service kit into my 0.177" HW99S.

In addition, Welsh Willy has had some softer springs made up for his kits - he will happily supply you with a soft HW99 spring and will also cut it to whatever length you would like.

I once needed a -15 mm spring for my TX, and Welsh Will happily supplied it at no extra cost

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ, that's worth bearing in mind.

Hi Garry,

Other springs worth trying are the SMK and Meteor Mk6 OEM springs and the Titan replacements for these.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I have spoken to Dave Price and he has some soft springs which he's testing so I'm pretty sure that he will come up with a solution for me.
    Thanks for the offer to strip your gun down but there's no need now.
    Much appreciated.
    Gary.
    Great to hear that you managed to make contact with Dave, Gary. I hope he's okay.

My 99 with his kit is lovely and he's a bit of a perfectionist so I'm sure whatever spec he has in mind will work beautifully.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    gtfreight,

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Excellent information there, Russ.

Wills is one of the good guys that we're so lucky to have amongst us.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Garry,

Other springs worth trying are the SMK and Meteor Mk6 OEM springs and the Titan replacements for these.

All the best Mick
    And again, most excellent info from our Mick.

I know plenty have used springs for up to Mark V Meteor in springer tunes for 25 and 26mm guns. I haven't checked on the "Marks", but is the VI the Gamo based variant, Mick?

Thanks for all your advice.
    I'm going to entrust Dave with what I'm looking for, the 95 I have, which was extensively tuned by him, is a dream to use, so I have 100% confidence in his work.
    The tune I'm looking for is different from what I normally look for, as it's for Emma and not for me.
    If it's ready for the "September Bash" I'm hoping that she'll be knocking the bucket over without using her pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And again, most excellent info from our Mick.

I know plenty have used springs for up to Mark V Meteor in springer tunes for 25 and 26mm guns. I haven't checked on the "Marks", but is the VI the Gamo based variant, Mick?
    Yes Tone, the Meteor MK6 is the Gamo Meteor and the Spring is about the narrowest rifle spring you can get at about 18.8mm OD, the SMK Spring (b2 etc) is about the same OD but shorter.

This narrow Spring is handy if using a narrow piston and you want to fit a piston sleeve, the only downside is that you normally end up using a steel Spring guide as a delrin one would have a very thin wall.

Most useful information yet again, Mick, and excellent point made with reference to the spring guide.

Of course, not a problem with the spring's original fitment use and no piston rod.

Any wire diameter measurements?

Dave Price (Wonky Donky) sent me two spring sets with guides. One was shorter, narrower than stock and the other was longer with thinner wire than stock.
    Both these set-ups are easier to cock than standard and whilst feeling slightly different both performed superbly, easily passing the "pellet on scope turret" test.
    It's that difficult to choose between the two that I've decided to keep both.
    Thanks Dave for helping me out, you excel in your hobby.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 23-06-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Excellent stuff and I'll look forward to giving it a try in September if that's okay?

Excellent stuff and I'll look forward to giving it a try in September if that's okay?
    Of course you can Tony.

Thank you, sir.

Nice avatar.

Thank you, sir.

Nice avatar.
    Notice how the paint is still fresh on the bucket? That says a lot about my shooting.