Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your hunting springer set up?

What's your hunting springer set up?

As per thread title, just out of curiosity really. I guess more and more people tend to use PCP's now, but if you still hunt with a springer, what is your set up?

And why (if there is a why!)?

What magnification do you use to hunt with?

On a general scope matter, when I got back into the sport about 10 years or so ago, I was sucked in by bigger and better (!?!?!?) scopes... But over the last few years I have definitely gone towards smaller, better quality, simpler scopes.

Quite a general thread I know, but would be interested to hear what people are using.

Hope everyone has a good weekend lined up,

Tim

I change scopes quite regularly, but right now I’m using the AA Prosport + Hawke Vantage SF 4-16x44.

I’ve got .177 and .22, depends how I feel!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Sub 12ft.lb my .177 AA TX200HC with Nikko Sterling Gold Crown full mil-dot 4-12x44. FAC an HW80K in .22 with same scope type is my go to springer set-up of choice.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Whilst strictly speaking not a springer my theoben evolution in .177 is my go to rifle of choice for hunting, when I'm not using a pcp. It's got a Hawke 3-12x50 mildot scope on it which I tend to leave on 6x when hunting. As to why I choose this over my other springers and rammers, from a practical viewpoint the rifle is extremely accurate, it's light enough to carry and quick to reload. Also there's the aesthetic side of things, I appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I love the way this rifle looks. The deep blueing, the beautifully contoured and grained walnut stock. It's got its faults don't get me wrong (an awful trigger) but I just love the rifle as a whole

I don't hunt nowadays but, when I did, it was my .22 Venom Tuned HW80 Mark 1 that was used the most.

Occasionally I'd also use one of my 77s and also a 95, both in .177.

Always with a nice, simple 4x fixed mag scope with nice, clear glass.

And for short range ratting, anything light, the scruffier cosmetically the better.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

TRS1,

In the days when I hunted, I used my 0.177" TX200, Crosman Accupel, with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1-5x20, set at 3X.

I then moved to hunting with my customized rimfire BSA 12/15 0.22LR, also using the Simmons Whitetail Classic 1-5x20, set at 3X.

The 12/15 was a stunningly good rabbit rifle.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Spring air rifle set-up

Webley tomahawk .22 with a Hawke 2x7-32ao.

Like a few of the chaps I don't hunt ,no permission .
    But if I did I would use my Webley longbow .22 and Tomahawk in .177.both guns handle real nice and shoot smoothly .
    Les..

Springer hunting

I only hunt squirrels and corvids these days on the farm I have permission on. I have quite a sizeable collection of springers predominantly German in origin. Of these I mostly hunt with a Diana Airking in .25 topped with a 4-12?x 50 Hawke airmax that I recently bought but another go to gun is an old but very modified HW80 in .22 that's topped with a WTC 3.5-10x50. Both excellent guns and extremely accurate and a delight to shoot.
    Last weekend I did have a walk around the woods with two old springers though. A FWB Sport in .22 topped with a period Tasco 3-9x40 scope. I must say that's an excellent gun for woodland work- light and comfortable on aim. Also an Original 50T01 in .22 calibre that is a tad unwieldy with the Webley pro system mod attached but again by virtue of being modified is a delight to hunt with. This again has a period Tasco attached this time a simple 4x40 TV view.
    Depending on scope set up I never go above 6x on the mag and for the hunting I do I would happily get away with fixed 4x for all of it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Diana Airking in .25
    You wouldn't let it lie!!!

My .177 56TH has recently come back from Tony Leach, but due to work/kids/weather haven't had a chance to properly put it through its paces yet....

Just need a gun tractor to make it mobile!

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    You wouldn't let it lie!!!

My .177 56TH has recently come back from Tony Leach, but due to work/kids/weather haven't had a chance to properly put it through its paces yet....

Just need a gun tractor to make it mobile!
    Ooops. Had to re read my post there to realise I dropped the .25 Airking into the equation again. Must stop doing that!
    Aye. It's the proverbial pole axe on the squirrels at the range I'm shooting at and capable at longer range too but I'm just starting to get used to the AMX reticle on the Hawke. Excellent scope btw. Superb clarity and the reticle aim points are great but the cross hairs a little fine and can get lost a bit in the shadows and dark foliage of the canopy.
    That 56 sounds mighty interesting. I've read and heard of the work Tony does on springers and I don't think he could have picked a better basis of a mod like his than the semi recoilless Dianas. I bet it will be sublime mate and would like to hear your take on things.
    The 56 is very much a bench gun I think though (or so it would seem to me at least). I've not given it a try out really but it's in the rack above the upgraded floor joist section in the loft conversion.
    I wouldn't say no to getting this one here modified at some point, but I have something of a backlog with other projects, one being to refurbish an old Diana 45 jubilee and .177 50T01 pair, another a spit n polish on a pro elite.
    Please do give some feedback on the 56TH.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    I change scopes quite regularly, but right now I’m using the AA Prosport + Hawke Vantage SF 4-16x44.

I’ve got .177 and .22, depends how I feel!
    That's my set-up too (.177)

20 Cal HW80 with 2-7 Nikon or 20 Cal 95 with 3-9 Nikon EFR
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Again not a springer but alternating a pair of Theoben Fenmans .22 Cal. One with a Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 and the other with a Simmons WTC 4x40WA. The last true springer was an SFS Mk 2 80 .22 with a Simmons WTC 3.5-10x40. The Fenmans for lightness, handleability and sheer quality, the latter because I enjoyed taking it out every now and again !
    All that was over twenty years ago but I still wouldn’t hesitate using either today especially the Fenman combos !

Should add, pellets were either Crossman Premier (boxed) or F&TT’s.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 15-06-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Just occasional pest control through work for me, but i use an 80k in 22 tuned & fitted with a titanium piston by Paul Short & with a hawke 3.9x40 scope & use ftt pellets