Thread: BSA Meteor barrel pins -what were they thinking??

BSA Meteor barrel pins -what were they thinking??

Over the years I have hoarded "a few" Meteors.. They are fun to tinker with, so they tend to follow me home.
    One thing I have noticed is that there is a large variation in barrel pin diameter!
    I have measured pins varying from a loose .234" to a snug fitting .250", these pins still have their bluing intact and show very little if any wear. I have replaced the loosest pins with cut down modern supersport pins.

What on earth were they thinking, fitting .234" diameter pins in holes drilled for .250" pins???

What were they thinking using pins at all instead of bolts!! Both BSA and Webley at the time let down some pretty decent designs with their asinine penny pinching!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    What were they thinking using pins at all instead of bolts!! Both BSA and Webley at the time let down some pretty decent designs with their asinine penny pinching!
    Totally agree. 'Hapeth of tar'.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

BSA need to go on a 'jolly' down to Air Arms then cross the channel to visit Weihrauch. They could learn alot.
    I bought a new mercury in 1978. I replaced it with an HW35.
    In 2006 I bought a new lightning xl. It handled nicley in the shop. Was disappointed to see a pin still being used as a barrel pivot. However I wanted to give BSA the benefit of the doubt, and bought it. Worst gun I've ever owned.
    And another thing...... who in their right mind thought the maxi grip scope rail was a good idea? To make things worse they made it necessary to use wider (14mm?) Mounts.
    You would think after over 100 years of gun making they would be on top of their game. Anything but.

I could go on....

Ahh... that's better.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Well I like both vulcans, meteors, hawks and supersports...but they all need some tinkering.

With little exception I think the accountants had more say than the engineer/designers over the final product.

Entirely counter productive in the long run.