Thread: Thermal imaging

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thermal imaging

Can anyone recommend a good hand held thermal image that works well during the day? Under a grand if possible. Thanks

Firstly Thermal works day and night.
    Presumably you want a spotter as opposed a mounted optic.
    I would look at the NV section for some advice or speak to distributors like Thomas Jacks and ask them what you need to look for in any new or 2nd hand kit to meet your needs and the purpose you require the NV for.
    Your use and the degree of sensitivity and range etc. will sort of dictate what is compliant with the job you need it to do.
    2nd hand will of course make your money go further subject to Caveat Emptor and probably no warranty.
    Leupold do or did a very small monocular style which retailed under the grand but it is a little crude in comparison with current stuff.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Bear in mind they work alot better at night when it has been a warm day. I would up your budget and get a new Pulsar, the three year warranty would be well worth the extra spend over a SH unit. I have an XQ38F they are amazing for night use, less effective in the day dependent on the terrain you are shooting over i.e are there a lot of rocks etc that retain heat in the day. I would not buy SH.

Near to your budget, Mini Magnum on here would probably do you a better price than this.

https://www.thomasjacks.co.uk/pulsar...t.asp?ref=3511

Thanks for the advice. It would predominately used for spotting pigeon and squirrels in woodland, I'm assuming they would be detectable through the canopy?

Depends how thick the Canopy is in relation to where your quarry is?

The Pulsar Axion XM30 or 38 are the latest toys worth having.
    Under a grand then it would need to be second hand, the older XQ38f's haven't quite hit that.

As for finding pigeons in the canopy then sure they will work but not necesserily that fantastically on a hot bright day. Its thermal so really needs heat differencials to bring the details out. It doesn't see through solid stuff.

Right conditions they are fantastic, though a real investment. The newest kit good enough for plenty of years.
    Last edited by Muskett; 15-06-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jigs View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It would predominately used for spotting pigeon and squirrels in woodland, I'm assuming they would be detectable through the canopy?
    I use my xq38f in woodland early mornings and they are a game changer
    I would have missed seeing loads of vermin without it
    I always have a quick scan with the mk1 eyeball first
    Then put the thermal up and ....wow
    Never ceases to amaze me .

I would also venture to suggest that they are illuminating devices so cant be used for avians other than ferals.
    Not had a chance to read the 3 new GLs so dont know if that has changed at all.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill