Thread: 7th/8th September 2019 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post
    Often admired the immaculate navy blue Landy parked near your yard Mick.

ATB
    Gwyn
    The bride and groom left the church in that one, Gwyn.

They were supposed to set off for the reception in a SWB Series 2A but it broke down on the way to the church.

They should have asked FAE to give it the once over beforehand.

BTW, Mick, did you manage to suss out whereabouts in Ibiza you were?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    They should have asked FAE to give it the once over beforehand.
    I'll explain that one when I see you, Tone.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL
    BTW, Mick, did you manage to suss out whereabouts in Ibiza you were?
    The Occedental, San Antonio bay --- we'll not be returning.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'll explain that one when I see you, Tone.

The Occedental, San Antonio bay --- we'll not be returning.
    Oky dokes, Mick.

And San Antonio? Jeepees creepers, that used to be the craziest, noisiest and most party-ist part of the island! Maybe still is?

When a friend and I went in 1995 we got a proper cheapy deal. Ended up in Portinax (I think that's how you spell it). A quiet, family resort. We did manage to make our own fun and were also entertained on many an evening by Pedro's spliff smoking chef......as in he'd be getting stoned whilst cooking for the guests.

For one evening we thought we'd get a bus to San An, but it proved too tricky. So we went to Playa d'en Bossa on the edge of Ibiza Town. And that was mental enough. Lots and lots of clubs and bars and weird and interesting people. The beach was entertaining around 8.00 am with lots of totally wrecked people wandering out of the clubs.

A most entertaining time.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The bride and groom left the church in that one, Gwyn.

They were supposed to set off for the reception in a SWB Series 2A but it broke down on the way to the church.
    Oh dear Mick: Jack Jones once said: 'The line between anecdotage & dotage is very thin!'

So, when I was an apprentice at B'ham Public Works Dept (1953 ish), the mechanics runnabout was an early Landrover SWB. I remember at least 3 gear levers, with black, yellow and red knobs to manage the fourwheel drive with high and low gear ratios, P.T.O. etc. I think the engine was unusual, in that it had overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.

They were good days.......If you looked over your shoulder you could still remember bombers over Brum and the first post-war bananas.

I'll get my coat.

ATB
    Gwyn
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

So beautifully written, Gwyn, the image is so clear and I can almost imagine myself back in those times.

Nice one.

Managed to get a nice, different plinky plonky in earlier.

Don't know if any of you fine peeps had seen my thread in the Pistol section regarding the copper coated lead BB? Managed to buy some today and enjoyed a very pleasurable couple of hours with the little Umarex Walther PPK shooting paper targets in my steel pellet trap, something that I couldn't do with steel BBs.

I don't have the space and suitable back stop material to use the little thing as intended, mangling all manners of targets at different ranges, but this at least allows me to finally use the thing. And my pellet trap is quite large, so I'll be able to stick some smaller cans and assorted other targets inside it.

Great fun!

And tomorrow night I'll hopefully be reporting on a new addition........

45 to go, peeps.

And just two for the keys, Pauly.

BOING BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post
    Oh dear Mick: Jack Jones once said: 'The line between anecdotage & dotage is very thin!'

So, when I was an apprentice at B'ham Public Works Dept (1953 ish), the mechanics runnabout was an early Landrover SWB. I remember at least 3 gear levers, with black, yellow and red knobs to manage the fourwheel drive with high and low gear ratios, P.T.O. etc. I think the engine was unusual, in that it had overhead inlet and side exhaust valves.

They were good days.......If you looked over your shoulder you could still remember bombers over Brum and the first post-war bananas.

I'll get my coat.

ATB
    Gwyn
    I'm not an expert, Gwyn, but I think the inlet over exhaust engine was used in the Series 1 Landrover and the very, very early Series 2s before the change to the overhead valve motor.

The gear levers were a bit fun weren't they, the black knob was the four speed main box, then a second gear knob for high and low gears, then a third knob on the floor you pushed for four wheel drive, then you could have a fourth knob for overdrive or PTO.

I only ever ran one series vehicle, a Series 3 Lightweight, but it didn't last long after I discovered how much petrol it drank.

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Come on Tony it's spill the beans time
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Come on Tony it's spill the beans time
    Ah yes, it happened, Pete......

Not sure if I dare mention it...

Mmmmm......dare I mention it????.

Mmmmm......okay, then.

A few of you fine peeps will remember me mentioning that a good friend and customer of mine wanted me to re-home his Air Arms S410. And I was feeling really awkward as he wanted to just give me it, as he needs space for his centrefires for his deer stalking passion. It's been happening for a while......

Well, a couple of weeks or so ago, after an extended springer plink and at a time when my neck, shoulders and arms were playing up badly, I started to have really sinister thoughts about potential PCP ownership. But then when, as a newbie you start costing them up.....gun and charging gear and then the extra safety aspects, bottle filling and transportation, not self-contained etc etc., I decided they're not for me.

Then I spoke to Mark and he said, "it's about time you came and fetched this rifle and got some use out of it as I don't use it. Oh, by the way, the bottle is out of test, so I'll get it tested". So, we spoke on Monday and arrangements were made to collect this evening.

It's a S410 Carbine in .22. Pre anti-tamper, I believe. It's in lovely condition, complete with afore-mentioned kit (3 litre bottle and hose etc), a Weaver 3-9x50 scope (I think I got the mag right) and silencer. Mark showed me the connecting, charging, bleeding procedure as I was really panicky over that, but it's simples, innit?

Got home, squirted a little air in it and put a couple of mags through it. As expected, very, very easy. Not quite sure what it'll get used for as it's far too much for ten yards down the garden, but use it will get. Love the balance of it. Dead, dead easy to print one-holers apart from.....on a couple of occasions the bolt seemed really tight when pushing it home. And on these shots there were a couple of flyers. Not sure if it was down to the heavily oxidised AAFs he also gave me or the mag. So I'll not be using the pellets and I'm thinking of getting one of those cheap 3D printed single shot loaders.

Will be asking for a bit of advice from time to time as this PCP malarky is new to me. For example, does the bolt need a sparing lube from time to time or just leave alone?

I'll not ne messing with it as, when Mark got it around three years ago he got SDS to service and inspect it. So, as long as it behaves it'll be a case of don't fix what's not broken? Any tips from any of you chaps as I know a few of you have them / have experience of them?

Oh yes, there's more.......another post coming.