Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 7th/8th September 2019 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

I had a lovely result today. When I was just a boy my first airgun was a Daisy model 188 underlever BB pistol. It had no power and little accuracy but it was fun. I was telling Rachel about this the other evening reminiscing over old times, wistfully wondering what happened to it and how I would like another one in the collection. Well this morning Jack talked me into taking him to the boot fair local to us at sillyo'clock (6.45). We had walked around virtually the whole boot fair and as we approached the last stand I saw guns!!!! Low and behold, there on the table in all its retro glory was a Daisy 188, immaculate condition, boxed complete with instructions, tags and an unopened original cardboard tube of BB's. I purchased it at the lowly price of £25 quid. Superb!!!!!

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Aye aye, The Phantom tagline changing Mod is back out of retirement I see
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I had a lovely result today. When I was just a boy my first airgun was a Daisy model 188 underlever BB pistol. It had no power and little accuracy but it was fun. I was telling Rachel about this the other evening reminiscing over old times, wistfully wondering what happened to it and how I would like another one in the collection. Well this morning Jack talked me into taking him to the boot fair local to us at sillyo'clock (6.45). We had walked around virtually the whole boot fair and as we approached the last stand I saw guns!!!! Low and behold, there on the table in all its retro glory was a Daisy 188, immaculate condition, boxed complete with instructions, tags and an unopened original cardboard tube of BB's. I purchased it at the lowly price of £25 quid. Superb!!!!!
    Wow, what a stroke of luck Mike, I reckon Jack should have first dibs there
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Funnily enough I have said to Jack it can be his although stored in our locked room to comply with legalities etc.
    . May it bring him as much pleasure as mine brought me

75 to go, peeps.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny neate View Post
    And never shot the B2 either.
    Perhaps I should go sit on the naughty step.
    Jonny
    Tut, tut, tut.

Glad you enjoyed, Jonny.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Funnily enough I have said to Jack it can be his although stored in our locked room to comply with legalities etc.
    . May it bring him as much pleasure as mine brought me
    Top result, Mikey.

And well done to Little Jack on the early morning start! We'd have always struggled to get this lot up that early!

Hope it brings all those happy memories flooding back and that, as you say, it gives Jack as much pleasure as yours did all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Aye aye, The Phantom tagline changing Mod is back out of retirement I see
    I'm glad the "erney" isn't in brackets, Pauly.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'm glad the "erney" isn't in brackets, Pauly.
    Don’t you go giving The Phantom Mod any ideas now Tone. This year alone I’ve been Cockney, Irish and Welsh

About right to be fair

And, I see, multicultural now, Pauly.

A few little jobs tomorrow (Alfa and Vito MOTs and get to the bank) and then we have the pass stamped for a plink in the afternoon.

Fancying an open sighted sesh, so maybe drag one of the older 35s out.

Fingers crossed........

74 sleepies to go, peeps.

BOING!

Well, plinky time did happen, just not quite how I thought it'd go...

Whilst we were rushing about this morning, 'er indoors said that she could do with taking something back to Ikea and how did I fancy going to "that place in Rotherham". That place being the Idleback Range. Range duly booked for an hour. However, by the time we got home from all the chasing about the clock was ticking to get there in time......

The rifle I wanted to take was the Vantage, which has had hardly any use since Steve Pope serviced it for me a couple of years ago. I thought a little pellet testing sesh would go down well. But, the Gamo was more accessible and some pellet testing with that was also called for.

Well, although it was quite enjoyable one thing that trying to shoot tight groups on paper at longer range highlighted in a big way was how utterly dire the trigger really is. Not an issue down the garden and it didn't even seem to manifest itself much at The Hollow, but the creep, and inconsistent nature of that creep, made it bloody hard work. Used some Domes, Air Arms Fields and FTTs and not much in it at all, maybe nodding a slight wink to the FTTs. But, at 25 yards the tightest groups measured about 20mm. Some did one hole, but that's the c-t-c for pellets widest apart in the groups. And a far cry from the TX and every HW I've taken there.

So, it may be 25mm, it may not boing now and feel pretty refined, the firing cycle may be very mild mannered and cocking effort ridiculously low, but that sort of trigger performance, for me, puts it firmly into the category of ideal cheap garden plinker and short range ratter (if I get a ratty perm one day) which is exactly how I saw the little Gamo when I was first given it.

Next time it WILL be The Vantage.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Well, plinky time did happen, just not quite how I thought it'd go...

Whilst we were rushing about this morning, 'er indoors said that she could do with taking something back to Ikea and how did I fancy going to "that place in Rotherham". That place being the Idleback Range. Range duly booked for an hour. However, by the time we got home from all the chasing about the clock was ticking to get there in time......

The rifle I wanted to take was the Vantage, which has had hardly any use since Steve Pope serviced it for me a couple of years ago. I thought a little pellet testing sesh would go down well. But, the Gamo was more accessible and some pellet testing with that was also called for.

Well, although it was quite enjoyable one thing that trying to shoot tight groups on paper at longer range highlighted in a big way was how utterly dire the trigger really is. Not an issue down the garden and it didn't even seem to manifest itself much at The Hollow, but the creep, and inconsistent nature of that creep, made it bloody hard work. Used some Domes, Air Arms Fields and FTTs and not much in it at all, maybe nodding a slight wink to the FTTs. But, at 25 yards the tightest groups measured about 20mm. Some did one hole, but that's the c-t-c for pellets widest apart in the groups. And a far cry from the TX and every HW I've taken there.

So, it may be 25mm, it may not boing now and feel pretty refined, the firing cycle may be very mild mannered and cocking effort ridiculously low, but that sort of trigger performance, for me, puts it firmly into the category of ideal cheap garden plinker and short range ratter (if I get a ratty perm one day) which is exactly how I saw the little Gamo when I was first given it.

Next time it WILL be The Vantage.

Tone,

The Gamo Hunter I came by (and BTW ended up fitting a spring to) has a CDT trigger. It totally transforms the trigger. I'd now liken the trigger on my Hunter to a well sorted FWB sport. I've kept it on open sight for plinking out to 25yds on spinners.

Nice to hear you went for the spring option, Mark.
    You liking it now, then?
    I don't think I'll be doing much more in the way of fettling with this one myself. If I only had one or two guns and needed it to do more "serious work", maybe. But as there are a shed load of others that hardly ever see the light of day, I may as well give those more playtimes.
    I have my three "cheapy knockabouts" now, in the way of this, the CZ and Supersport, so that'll do.

How did the op go at the weekend, Mark?
    Last edited by TonyL; 26-06-2019 at 05:40 AM.