Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 7th/8th September 2019 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'll explain that one when I see you, Tone.

The Occedental, San Antonio bay --- we'll not be returning.
    Oky dokes, Mick.

And San Antonio? Jeepees creepers, that used to be the craziest, noisiest and most party-ist part of the island! Maybe still is?

When a friend and I went in 1995 we got a proper cheapy deal. Ended up in Portinax (I think that's how you spell it). A quiet, family resort. We did manage to make our own fun and were also entertained on many an evening by Pedro's spliff smoking chef......as in he'd be getting stoned whilst cooking for the guests.

For one evening we thought we'd get a bus to San An, but it proved too tricky. So we went to Playa d'en Bossa on the edge of Ibiza Town. And that was mental enough. Lots and lots of clubs and bars and weird and interesting people. The beach was entertaining around 8.00 am with lots of totally wrecked people wandering out of the clubs.

A most entertaining time.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Come on Tony it's spill the beans time
    Ah yes, it happened, Pete......

Not sure if I dare mention it...
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Mmmmm......dare I mention it????.

Mmmmm......okay, then.

A few of you fine peeps will remember me mentioning that a good friend and customer of mine wanted me to re-home his Air Arms S410. And I was feeling really awkward as he wanted to just give me it, as he needs space for his centrefires for his deer stalking passion. It's been happening for a while......

Well, a couple of weeks or so ago, after an extended springer plink and at a time when my neck, shoulders and arms were playing up badly, I started to have really sinister thoughts about potential PCP ownership. But then when, as a newbie you start costing them up.....gun and charging gear and then the extra safety aspects, bottle filling and transportation, not self-contained etc etc., I decided they're not for me.

Then I spoke to Mark and he said, "it's about time you came and fetched this rifle and got some use out of it as I don't use it. Oh, by the way, the bottle is out of test, so I'll get it tested". So, we spoke on Monday and arrangements were made to collect this evening.

It's a S410 Carbine in .22. Pre anti-tamper, I believe. It's in lovely condition, complete with afore-mentioned kit (3 litre bottle and hose etc), a Weaver 3-9x50 scope (I think I got the mag right) and silencer. Mark showed me the connecting, charging, bleeding procedure as I was really panicky over that, but it's simples, innit?

Got home, squirted a little air in it and put a couple of mags through it. As expected, very, very easy. Not quite sure what it'll get used for as it's far too much for ten yards down the garden, but use it will get. Love the balance of it. Dead, dead easy to print one-holers apart from.....on a couple of occasions the bolt seemed really tight when pushing it home. And on these shots there were a couple of flyers. Not sure if it was down to the heavily oxidised AAFs he also gave me or the mag. So I'll not be using the pellets and I'm thinking of getting one of those cheap 3D printed single shot loaders.

Will be asking for a bit of advice from time to time as this PCP malarky is new to me. For example, does the bolt need a sparing lube from time to time or just leave alone?

I'll not ne messing with it as, when Mark got it around three years ago he got SDS to service and inspect it. So, as long as it behaves it'll be a case of don't fix what's not broken? Any tips from any of you chaps as I know a few of you have them / have experience of them?

Oh yes, there's more.......another post coming.

The other thing..

I was talking to one of my other customers late last week.

Whilst talking he asked some advice on air rifle purchase. He also shoots deer with centrefires in Scotland and shoots clays. Quizzed him and gave him my usual shortlist of HW and Air Arms springers, depending which suits him best.

He then said, "once I get one there's an old thing here you can have as I know you like to do them up". Turns out it's a Mercury S! He explained that the breech seal is shot. I explained in reply that it's a quick, easy fix but he said, "No, I'd rather you have it"!!!

Lovely!

AND......if that happens, there's a young chap at work with a Roland problem. He's been using traps and also using a borrowed Ratbuster and keeps missing them. Now, my Gamo. I was pretty much chuffed with it until the other week when I took it out of its "comfort zone" and the poxy trigger was doing my head in. Suppose it's fine if it's the only one you've ever used and not been spoiled by Rekords and CDs. If that BSA comes I think I'll gift it to him as he's interested in buying but skint. And it'll help spread the love a little. Got to be the right thing to do after my good fortune and it'll make him a very happy bunny!

TINY dab of moly grease on the bolt, chaps?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    TINY dab of moly grease on the bolt, chaps?
    I used silicone grease sparingly on my .177" S400 bolt, Tone, given its interaction with buffer o-ring & barrel seal o-ring, also on twin o-rings on t-bar cylinder fill valve (perhaps yours has earlier push fit valve). Recently sold my pre-owned one though, upon my return to purely springer shooting, just as you go t'other way. Super guns, glad this one has found you matey.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundshot View Post
    I used silicone grease sparingly on my .177" S400 bolt, Tone, given its interaction with buffer o-ring & barrel seal o-ring, also on twin o-rings on t-bar cylinder fill valve (perhaps yours has earlier push fit valve). Recently sold my pre-owned one though, upon my return to purely springer shooting, just as you go t'other way. Super guns, glad this one has found you matey.
    Cheers, Ted.

Any particular make of silicone grease, sir?

Yep, this one has the push fit valve.

And don't you worry, your Tone''s love of boingers will never diminish. Due to my lack of yardage at home, for years I've also had some lower- powered pump-ups (Crosman 1377), a couple of Ratties, HW40 and the PPK, so other things besides springers have lived here for a while.

Some of the boys will remember me mentioning this rifle to them ages ago. I could have collected it ages ago but kept resisting for a number of reasons. It just felt wrong to accept something with higher value as a freebie, so a certain amount of embarrassment was involved . But like so many of the peeps I asked said, "don't worry, the chap wants you to have it, so take it".

I have had the odd shot with the odd one at times and always found them too clinical feeling. No character whatsoever. But a machine to "get the job done". After just those twenty shots yesterday it was feeling like mission accomplished whereas with a springer I never want to put them down. Plus the bottle. Refills of bottle. Transportation. Sweet spot. Lots of negatives and I've managed to side- step them for years. If I'd had to buy one it might have always seen me without one, but for free including all the kit, well it would have been rude not to. Plus there was always one little niggle......what about, in many years to come, one of your regrets in life was to never have had one? At least this way I can tell myself that I have one, it's there if I want it, but the springers will always be close to my heart for their feel and character.
    Last edited by TonyL; 25-07-2019 at 05:48 AM.

44 sleepies to go, peeps.

And just one more for you and the keys, Pauly.

BOING!

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Mmmmm......okay, then.

A few of you fine peeps will remember me mentioning that a good friend and customer of mine wanted me to re-home his Air Arms S410. And I was feeling really awkward as he wanted to just give me it, as he needs space for his centrefires for his deer stalking passion. It's been happening for a while......

Well, a couple of weeks or so ago, after an extended springer plink and at a time when my neck, shoulders and arms were playing up badly, I started to have really sinister thoughts about potential PCP ownership. But then when, as a newbie you start costing them up.....gun and charging gear and then the extra safety aspects, bottle filling and transportation, not self-contained etc etc., I decided they're not for me.

Then I spoke to Mark and he said, "it's about time you came and fetched this rifle and got some use out of it as I don't use it. Oh, by the way, the bottle is out of test, so I'll get it tested". So, we spoke on Monday and arrangements were made to collect this evening.

It's a S410 Carbine in .22. Pre anti-tamper, I believe. It's in lovely condition, complete with afore-mentioned kit (3 litre bottle and hose etc), a Weaver 3-9x50 scope (I think I got the mag right) and silencer. Mark showed me the connecting, charging, bleeding procedure as I was really panicky over that, but it's simples, innit?

Got home, squirted a little air in it and put a couple of mags through it. As expected, very, very easy. Not quite sure what it'll get used for as it's far too much for ten yards down the garden, but use it will get. Love the balance of it. Dead, dead easy to print one-holers apart from.....on a couple of occasions the bolt seemed really tight when pushing it home. And on these shots there were a couple of flyers. Not sure if it was down to the heavily oxidised AAFs he also gave me or the mag. So I'll not be using the pellets and I'm thinking of getting one of those cheap 3D printed single shot loaders.

Will be asking for a bit of advice from time to time as this PCP malarky is new to me. For example, does the bolt need a sparing lube from time to time or just leave alone?

I'll not ne messing with it as, when Mark got it around three years ago he got SDS to service and inspect it. So, as long as it behaves it'll be a case of don't fix what's not broken? Any tips from any of you chaps as I know a few of you have them / have experience of them?

Oh yes, there's more.......another post coming.
    Congratulations, Tony

But, a PCP rifle in the hands of a dedicated, life long boinger man?!! It sound so wrong, it’s almost like you’re sleeping with another woman

Just kidding, enjoy the rifle, you’ll now realise why everyone wants a PCP. It’s because they’re easy(er)

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Well I kinda knew a PCP was coming your way Tone so it’s not such a shock to me as it may to others who never thought it would happen. You’re right, it’s certainly not a traditional 10 yard plinker but you did the right thing giving it a new home and, like you say, you will find a use for it sometime..... you need to chase up that possible Rat permission matey
    I love my S410, it’s my go to when out on my permissions. Not much can go wrong with them apart from having to replace the odd seal which would be a doddle for you
    As I use mine as a hunting tool, I rarely have to fill it as I’m never going to shoot 60 or 70 odd pellets in a day, one fill lasts me many outings and that’s keeping them all in the ‘sweet spot’.

So.... well done on your new acquisition and enjoy it when you can.

You just need to change your sign off from Boing ! to Pffffftt. and your Avatar from Zebedee to a Fairy or something I do hope that hasn’t tempted The Phantom Avatar Mod to strike
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Congratulations, Tony

But, a PCP rifle in the hands of a dedicated, life long boinger man?!! It sound so wrong, it’s almost like you’re sleeping with another woman

Just kidding, enjoy the rifle, you’ll now realise why everyone wants a PCP. It’s because they’re easy(er)
    Worry ye not; a fan of the PCP I will never be.

At the bargain price of........absolutely zilch it really would have been rude not to. And, as said earlier, I'd maybe regret it one day when old and too knackered that I never gave one a proper try. It IS an airgun, after all.

But I could never see me loving one of these things. Accurate and very forgiving it may well be, but boring and totally devoid of character. That sounds pretty damning, innit? I do like the handling and overall feel of it, but I really can't see any deep bonding taking place as would occur even with even a cheap springer. They have their uses, I have to admit, but as an ex-hunter I don't need the clinical ease of use.

Another woman......Ooh, that's an idea! On second thoughts, forget it......one's more than enough "do you head in material"!!!!!!'

And a very loud, characterful and twangy BOING!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Well I kinda knew a PCP was coming your way Tone so it’s not such a shock to me as it may to others who never thought it would happen. You’re right, it’s certainly not a traditional 10 yard plinker but you did the right thing giving it a new home and, like you say, you will find a use for it sometime..... you need to chase up that possible Rat permission matey.
    I love my S410, it’s my go to when out on my permissions. Not much can go wrong with them apart from having to replace the odd seal which would be a doddle for you
    As I use mine as a hunting tool, I rarely have to fill it as I’m never going to shoot 60 or 70 odd pellets in a day, one fill lasts me many outings and that’s keeping them all in the ‘sweet spot’.

So.... well done on your new acquisition and enjoy it when you can.

You just need to change your sign off from Boing ! to Pffffftt. and your Avatar from Zebedee to a Fairy or something I do hope that hasn’t tempted The Phantom Avatar Mod to strike ::
    A ratty permission would certainly be good for it, matey.

But (even when the Gamo's gone), I still have an array of suitable toys ready for such exploits like my mini-carbine 2240, the CZ 634 and that ruggedly nasty looking but sweet shooting, accurate and hard hitting Supersport. The Air Arms is in pretty stunning condition, so almost seems too good and "too much gun"?

What do you use on the bolt, Pauly?

I'm actually off work now for a week and a half. Not going away, mainly staying at home and the odd day out, so might be able to squeeze some plinking opportunities in if the Fun Prevention Officer allows. I'd certainly have a further play with this (until boredom sets in after about five minutes), but now that I have ammo available to me making using the little PPK a reality, really looking forward to playing with that. It feels awesome and it's great fun!

Still with a committed Boingery, Boingety BOING!

Big day for you tomorrow, Pauly.

And, at the other end of the spectrum!

Remember a few weeks ago when I said another of my customers was going to give me a knackered pistol? Well, it was either give it to me or bury it in concrete, he said!

Well, he brought it in today in a sealed cardboard box. Driving home all sorts of visions we're going through my mind.....most likely a Chinese thingy, maybe a Hatsan Supercharger, maybe I might be really lucky and this break-barrel knackerbag will be a Diana 5 or a Scorpion?

Well, first guess was right. It's a Chink. Cocked it a few times and walloped it really hard and no sign of accidental disharge which he had reported. Although it has a breech bolt, the barrel's wobbly. Looked down the barrel and it's a smoothbore. Breech seal looks goosed. And looking into the trigger it's full of dust and gunge. So I'm thinking a minimal / zero spend clean and re-lube and see what it's like for plinkies.

You should have seen the third of a tin of pellets that came with it......Spitfires that were so covered in oxidisation and dust; they were almost multi-coloured!

I think I have that box of Marksman pellets I bought a couple of years ago. I think I'll put them through it. can't see the point of wasting anything resembling decent quality ammo in this smoothbore Oriental!

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I haven’t used any lubricant on the bolt Tone but did think a tiny smear of silicone as I have a little tub which I use on my Hills pump on the odd occasion I use it.

Yep one more sleep if I can actually sleep in this heat and mugginess tonight.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22