Thread: QYS (Qiang Yuan) Dome Pellets : Weight Distribution

QYS (Qiang Yuan) Dome Pellets : Weight Distribution

Hello to All,

FYI

I thought I would try some of the new QYS (Qiang Yuan) Dome field pellets, to see what they were like.

As part of my 'new pellet' process, I weigh ca. one hundred and twenty (120) pellets individually on a calibrated four decimal place Lab. balance, to see the distribution of pellet weights, and to get the average, min, & max weights.

The Qiang Yuan match pellets (flat head) showed a very low relative standard deviation (RSD) when weighed (0.18%).

The QYS Domes, however, are not up to that level

As you can see from the table below, they are very much mid-stream as far as weight distribution goes.

I will be trying them out for accuracy in the field soon.

Can anybody who has done extended shooting with them up to fifty-five (55) yards, please let me know how they shot, and any other observations ?

Ta

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Wow!

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in providing and sharing this information, Russ.

I think this ought to be in the pellet thread in the Useful Section so it doesn't disappear quickly.

Be very interesting to hear the results of your accuracy testing, as Dave Barham's findings certainly show promise.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Hi Russ

I have found the same as you have - I weighed a whole tin of 4.5 streamline domed pellets, but to the closest 0.1 of a grain as fractions beyond that are not realistically perceptible in the field. I found they were no better selected than either AAFD/Sovereign or JSB Exacts which I've also weighed plenty of in the past.

Accuracy wise I done a full 30 shots rested at 30 yards indoors with a Red Wolf and found the QYS were about 3rd in my tests with JSB Exact Select and Daystate Sovereigns being just slightly ahead - (all weighed.) In summary, they are good pellets from the testing I've done, but not worth a premium as you still have to weigh them and even then they are no better than the leading pellets I didn't try them beyond this range in doors as I was considering them for BR.

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Jesim1,

Many thanks - excellent info

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Hello to All,

FYI

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

0.177"

Last edited by PhatMan; 17-06-2019 at 08:25 AM.