Thread: Crosman sabots

Crosman sabots

Have you seen the price of these pellets? Ouch!

£19.99 for 125

Details:

Crosman PowerShot Gold Flight Penetrator Pellets, .177 Cal, 8.5 Grains, Pointed, Lead-Free, 125ct

.177 cal
    8.5 grains
    Pointed
    Lead-free (less than 1% lead)
    Gold plastic sabot
    125ct

Use this PowerShot alloy pellet, which has less than 1% lead content, if you need to avoid any lead contamination on your shooting range.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Danny, would be great if they were really a sabot pellet. Small diameter light projectile (smaller than bore) that separates at high speed from jacket on exiting the muzzle. The old Sussex Sabots were not successful having a 4.2mm projectile for the .22 as they were too heavy at 14.6 grn and probably the wrong shape. Its a pity someone does not try to produce a new type. The guys in South Africa got some high speeds out of full bore rifles using sabots.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    sussex sabot were brilliant aerodynamically; huge energy retention, and also penetration (whether you want that or not is a different discussion), but the accuracy was a bit crap. That's what they "got wrong". Well that and having to pick the casings out of your moderator every few shots
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

And all that extra retained energy and penetration wasted into thin air or the grass eh, Jon?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    sussex sabot were brilliant aerodynamically; huge energy retention, and also penetration (whether you want that or not is a different discussion), but the accuracy was a bit crap. That's what they "got wrong". Well that and having to pick the casings out of your moderator every few shots
    This is true.

Those Crosman things look awful. Like a worse version of Prometheus.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And all that extra retained energy and penetration wasted into thin air or the grass eh, Jon?
    they weren't that bad - approx 3" at 30 yards IIRC. hobbies were half that. hmm.. yeah, they were pretty bad.
    All this was from a not very well tuned HW35 shot rested on the window sill...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This is true.

Those Crosman things look awful. Like a worse version of Prometheus.
    funny enough I was just reading a 1985 copy of AGW, where the titan black (heavy prometheus - 12.9 grain) pellet was tested. 1.5" at 20 yards. Hmm.... surely these are not even worse

I remember shooting a hole clean through a sheet of 18 gauge mild steel that I was using for gas welding at the time, with a Sussex Sabo through my Feinwerkbau Sport 127 (c.1984).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

funny enough I was just reading a 1985 copy of AGW, where the titan black (heavy prometheus - 12.9 grain) pellet was tested. 1.5" at 20 yards. Hmm.... surely these are not even worse
    I think I still have some, somewhere.

They were bloody awful. Like all the Prometheus stuff.

They were basically marketed as “These will definitely make your gun break the legal power limit. DO NOT think about buying them unless you have an FAC. Oh no. Cheques to H Earl, PAX Guns, Archway Road, London, N6 5RBB. Thank you for your order.”
    Last edited by Geezer; 17-06-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I remember shooting a hole clean through a sheet of 18 gauge mild steel that I was using for gas welding at the time, with a Sussex Sabo through my Feinwerkbau Sport 127 (c.1984).

My version of this story was also a 127, and a Saxby-Palmer Herald, firing NATO (zinc?) bullets. Which had to nearly be hammered into the breech of the FWB.

Aluminium galvanised wheelbarrow did not stand a chance.