Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Advise

Scope Advise

On my Weihrauch HW97 K i am using a Richter Optics 3-9x40 Scope and can usually manage 1" groups at 40yds and 1/2" at 20yds. At closer ranges I find using any magnification over x5 and things get slightly blurred. This is using AA Fields or Exact Jumbo Express. I am thinking of changing the scope and at the moment I am looking at Nikko Mountmaster 3-9x40 px adjust costing £57. and the Leaper 3-9x32 Bugbuster at £135. I am using the gun mainly for plinking and some hunting. Any thought on these scopes or even an alternative for around the same money and am just wondering is there really £80. of a difference in quality. I am shooting air rifles only with a few months so any advise would be appreciated.

Avoid Leapers.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Why not try to re parallax your scope first, if it is not in focus.

If your scope is this one;

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/richter...t-hunting.html

Then I would say that at 20 yards or so the focus would be somewhat blurry when set at x5, at x4 it should be good'ish. The reason being that the scope will be fixed focus / parallaxed for 100 yards. It is possible to adjust the focus but this involves a partial dismantle of the front trim ring and lens carrier and you have to be prepared to ruin, without intent, the scope should it all go wrong.

I have no experience of the scopes you are referring to but you won't go far wrong with either the Hawke Vantage 2-7x32AO or 3-9x40AO. These are both solid well made scopes with a first class after sales backup.

To be blunt Mountmasters are sh*t.

The reason for the blurr is the fixed focus range, you could reparalax your existing scope at a closer range, it's free & there's a 'how to' in the stickies,
    have you tried adjusting the ocular to see if you can reduce the blurr a bit ?

As for the price difference I suggest you visit a dealer & try some scopes as best you can, (ask if you can try them outside to get more distance) not only what you're considering but also the next price level up & some AO or Sidewheel stuff.
    Even if it seems a lot of money, once you see the difference you may well decide to stick with yours while you save for something decent.

Portzy
    That is the scope which I have. It was fitted by the dealer and I can now see why I was not charged for it.

Scope

There are always some good scopes for sale in the scope section. Take a look at the Nikko Panamax range. 3-9 x 40 is a great scope for your budget. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1995 View Post
    Portzy
    That is the scope which I have. It was fitted by the dealer and I can now see why I was not charged for it.
    I'd imagined that it was. Don't bin it off after your upgrade though, as other have said it is possible to re-focus them to a distance more suited to air rifle, just read the stickies and have a look on you-tube also.

Any thoughts on Hawke Airmax

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    There are always some good scopes for sale in the scope section. Take a look at the Nikko Panamax range. 3-9 x 40 is a great scope for your budget. Mach 1.5
    This !
    Used one of their 3-9x40AO scopes on a Hw 95 and it performed very well !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hawke fast mount 4-9x40 complete with mounts £70, lifetime warranty. It's an AO scope that focus down to 10yds at low magnification.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Hawke fast mount 4-9x40 complete with mounts £70, lifetime warranty. It's an AO scope that focus down to 10yds at low magnification.
    And the reason it's only £70 is because it's their bottom of the range scope.

Cheap scopes are cheap for a reason if you want something half decent then you need to accept the fact it costs a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1995 View Post
    Any thoughts on Hawke Airmax
    The 1" bodied version is certainly a step up from the Vantage, I have a couple of its now discontinued brother the Panorama which in essence shares the same mechanics as the Airmax and the image is very clear, wider field of view than the Vantage, the reticle, (cross hair), is etched into the glass as opposed to being made from wire and is relatively fine.

All in all you shouldn't be disappointed with either but as always with optics, it really is best to have a look before you buy. Eyesight is a personal thing and what suits some doesn't suit all.

Coming back to the "Vantage+" or "Plus" mentioned earlier. My understanding used to be that this range consisted of those scopes which had failed a cosmetic QC, the odd mark in the paint or a slight scratch in an out of the way position etc, but otherwise passed the QC both optically and mechanically. Based on this I bought, for 30 quid!, a simple fixed 4x32 non AO Mil Dot "Plus" from Kirklees Guns in Huddersfield and I have to say the image, mechanics, and finish are faultless. I have since discovered that the Plus range are two piece construction, at least on the 4x32, but nevertheless come with the same warranty and backup as anything else that Hawke sell.

A quick caution with Hawke Airmax & Vantage scopes, These names are used on several different models
    'Vantage' go from under £50 to over £300, while Airmax range from £130 to £370, plus there was an old range which had the same name but are totally different, it makes it a bit too easy to buy something by mistake.

Thanks to all for all the great advise which I have received. I decided on an Airmax 2-7x32 from a seller on the bay. Cost was £120 incl free postage. Scope is new. Now just waiting on delivery. Will give my impressions on this scope after a few hundred shots.