Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost affective target pistol?

cost affective target pistol?

Hi,

I am actively trying to sell my new Steyr Evo 10 right now, but will need to replace it with a much less expensive target alternative.

I no longer shot pistol at a serious pistol club, my 'day to day' club covers all aspects of shooting and I am (and have always been) mainly 22LR at this club. The Steyr is now only being used in the postal comp our club is a part of. This is a total waste of such a high end pistol and especially as all I do is shoot the cards to get them out of the way to get back on the 50m range!!

I still want to shoot 10m target pistol after the Evo 10 has gone, but want to do it with a MUCH cheaper gun more suited to just getting cards shot accurately rather than aiming at the very top level.

I once had a Gamo Compact and my memory of it was that it was very accurate and perfectly fine and comfortable to use. I also seem to remember the trigger was a perfectly nice two stage unit that worked well, but is my memory correct ???????

Is there anything out there that will fill in cheaply to replace my Evo 10 in an SSP format? If no, What is the cheapest PCP pistol that will do the job well enough?

Thanks.

I've got a Gamo compact & I'm very happy with it, nice trigger & the pistol is more accurate than me.

I like the Compact but found a FAS 604 much better. Probably double the price though.

Hw40 cheap enough & very accurate

I'll chip in with my comments, I have an Izzy46M and love it....cheap SSP and built like a tank, well it is Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I'll chip in with my comments, I have an Izzy46M and love it....cheap SSP and built like a tank, well it is Russian!
    Wish I could find one for sale !

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My backup to my Morini is a Tau 7...and due to my lack of talent I don't feel under-gunned.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Wish I could find one for sale !
    I know a gun shop with one for sale. You have PM.

'Cost effective target pistol'? FWB 65 or 80. You can get a good one for £250 which will last you a life time and still be competitive with no air bottles or CO2 to worry about.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I think it would be better if we had an idea of the budget available????? What's cheap or cost effective to one person is not the same for others!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

The Steyr I have is 100% perfect in all areas.

The Gamo Compact and FAS 6004 are MUCH cheaper.

If I 'down grade' to one of the above, what if anything will I notice in terms of accuracy?

I know the Compact trigger is a bit crap unless 'tickled', but is the FAS trigger much better and could it be adjusted to be as good as the Steyr without re-working internally?

I don't mind 'digging' into a gun and fiddling if it needs it.

604 MK2 rather than 6004. Much better trigger than the Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    604 MK2 rather than 6004. Much better trigger than the Compact.
    Thank you Mike.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 18-06-2019 at 09:30 AM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    FAS has nice trigger - but the velocity WILL disappoint.
    Spoken as an ex-owner and knowing of at least two others.

Most ssp’s seem to be like that. My HW40 was and my Alecto on one pump is. I found that my FAS was useable when I put me seals in. Seems to bother some more than others but I see your point.

MrChipShoulder,

As the other posters have said, the most 'bang for buck' will be a classic recoil-less 'springer' pistol from the 70s/80s/90s - I would suggest FWB 65, 80, & 90 as the best bet. They shoot superbly, and spares are readily available.

The CO2 & SSP pistols of the 80s/90s are also good.

The Tau7 Match is an excellent pistol, with a lovely trigger, and usually makes 60 to 70 shots from a 12g CO2 caplet - at least mine does.

If you get a Gamo Compact, you can easily tweak the trigger - just involves polishing the sear surfaces, lubing appropriately, and fitting a longer adjusting screw.

As the Compact has a clear cover over the trigger internals, and the pistols trigger can be cocked with a half-stroke, adjusting is simple.

From my ca. thirty (30) year ownership of a Gamo Compact, they work best and longest when the innards are 'wet' - a few drops of motorcycle fork oil, every ca. 500 pellets, down the transfer port will keep the internals correctly lubed and will prevent premature air leakage.

The Baikal MP-46M is (for me) an excellent pistol.

However, the prices they sell for new are now ludicrous - I paid £269 for mine, and now they are ca. £400 - £500.

More concerningly, the importer does not stock spares/consumables for the MP-46M

Have fun

Best regards

Russ