Quote Originally Posted by cottonpickers View Post
My first gun was a bsa meteor. Elder brother got one same time - a Vulcan maybe I remember that Christmas Day we got it going into our field and shooting various stuff then we discovered the electricity pylon in the farmers field next door. It made a fantastic noise every time you hit the ceramic insulators. We spent a fair while singing the pellets off that to great delight. So much fun. When we got home my parents had either seen us or maybe we stupidly told anyway upshot was both rifles confiscated for a month. They sat in parents room in their wardrobe. Longest month ever! Lol. Bought pellets and targets and those 22 coloured darts waiting to get it back. Made it all the better when we got them back. Anyone remember their barrel pinging up when you cocked it without touching trigger. Fingers nipped ? Or rifles firing unexpectedly when you flipped the barrel back up. Or firing at short range into cut wood only to find it it shoot the pellet rightback at your face. Soon got into good habits and now hate seeing people not holding barrel the whole time or waving a gun around. Happy days!!
Entertaining yet cringeworthy at the same time!

Luckily (hopefully) nobody got hurt, but it does really make you think sometimes that it's better and more responsible now with regards to kids' access and instilling those all-important and non-negotiable safety talks.

Darts?????

Mal-adjusted triggers????

And, yes, whilst at an indoor range yesterday I had to have a talk with a grown up who was blissfully loading his HW97 whilst not hanging onto the underlever. You feel awkward approaching a stranger and don't want to be a killjoy, but the resulting alternative would be much more painful and messy!

Think the range marahall must have been asleep!