Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early airgun memories

a relum tornado

My first rifle was a Webley Hawk mk1(.22 barrel) bought from Harold's sports of Hayes in the early 1970s, used to sneak over the derelict part of Southall gas works and bag a few pigeons. I remember the barrel constantly working loose from the breech, flogged it after a few months and bought a BSA Mercury.

guns

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Dan

My first rifle was a Webley Junior, I accidentally shot my dad in the bum one morning whilst he was raking ashes to make a fire!!

Never did see the wee gun again after that, saw plenty of stars though when he gave me a good hiding!

Welcome to the forum

By the way, I wasn't allowed guns after that so when I left home upon getting hitched, I started a small collection, Have around a hundred and fifty guns now!

John
    well there you go 150 'ish guns , that just goes to show a thrashing as a kid never traumatized anyone !!

Quote Originally Posted by gc93 View Post
    well there you go 150 'ish guns , that just goes to show a thrashing as a kid never traumatized anyone !!
    Absolutely.

And makes you more determined to get more toys when you can.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Happy days

My first gun was a bsa meteor. Elder brother got one same time - a Vulcan maybe I remember that Christmas Day we got it going into our field and shooting various stuff then we discovered the electricity pylon in the farmers field next door. It made a fantastic noise every time you hit the ceramic insulators. We spent a fair while singing the pellets off that to great delight. So much fun. When we got home my parents had either seen us or maybe we stupidly told anyway upshot was both rifles confiscated for a month. They sat in parents room in their wardrobe. Longest month ever! Lol. Bought pellets and targets and those 22 coloured darts waiting to get it back. Made it all the better when we got them back. Anyone remember their barrel pinging up when you cocked it without touching trigger. Fingers nipped ? Or rifles firing unexpectedly when you flipped the barrel back up. Or firing at short range into cut wood only to find it it shoot the pellet rightback at your face. Soon got into good habits and now hate seeing people not holding barrel the whole time or waving a gun around. Happy days!!

air pistol first i was till i was big enough to hold an air rifle over 50 year ago

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Stem shot or leaf?

both. with added bonus of a ricochet into neighbours greenhouse.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    ricochet into neighbours greenhouse.
    I'll bet you weren't popular !
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

my first gun

Hi, My first BSA air rifle was purchased using my 50p a week pocket money.
    I told the lady down the road who had a catalogue that my mother said i could buy it as long as i kept up the payments,which i did.
    The lady did question me about it a few times but never asked my parents.And too this day my Mother never knew i had it,i would hide it behind the water tank in the bathroom or in the garden shed.
    When it was upstairs in bathroom i had to put in onto the garage roof through the window,then climb onto roof and retrieve it,then of i went
    shooting crows and woodies in the local woods.Then when i was finished shooting it would be the reverse of getting it out the house.
    Them days you could walk anywhere with the rifle and nobody would bat an eyelid.
    Good old days when you had your breakfast went out and didn't return till tea time.

And now i don't tell the wife what iv'e got or how much iv'e spent

Quote Originally Posted by cottonpickers View Post
    My first gun was a bsa meteor. Elder brother got one same time - a Vulcan maybe I remember that Christmas Day we got it going into our field and shooting various stuff then we discovered the electricity pylon in the farmers field next door. It made a fantastic noise every time you hit the ceramic insulators. We spent a fair while singing the pellets off that to great delight. So much fun. When we got home my parents had either seen us or maybe we stupidly told anyway upshot was both rifles confiscated for a month. They sat in parents room in their wardrobe. Longest month ever! Lol. Bought pellets and targets and those 22 coloured darts waiting to get it back. Made it all the better when we got them back. Anyone remember their barrel pinging up when you cocked it without touching trigger. Fingers nipped ? Or rifles firing unexpectedly when you flipped the barrel back up. Or firing at short range into cut wood only to find it it shoot the pellet rightback at your face. Soon got into good habits and now hate seeing people not holding barrel the whole time or waving a gun around. Happy days!!
    Entertaining yet cringeworthy at the same time!

Luckily (hopefully) nobody got hurt, but it does really make you think sometimes that it's better and more responsible now with regards to kids' access and instilling those all-important and non-negotiable safety talks.

Darts?????

Mal-adjusted triggers????

And, yes, whilst at an indoor range yesterday I had to have a talk with a grown up who was blissfully loading his HW97 whilst not hanging onto the underlever. You feel awkward approaching a stranger and don't want to be a killjoy, but the resulting alternative would be much more painful and messy!

Think the range marahall must have been asleep!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by choppork View Post
    air pistol first i was till i was big enough to hold an air rifle over 50 year ago
    Strange how different people's views differ......when I was finally allowed an airgun, my dad said there was no way I could have a pistol due to them being more dangerous? His reasonings centred around the ease of concealment and portability rather than power, so I can sorta see his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthelm View Post
    My first rifle was a Webley Hawk mk1(.22 barrel) bought from Harold's sports of Hayes in the early 1970s, used to sneak over the derelict part of Southall gas works and bag a few pigeons. I remember the barrel constantly working loose from the breech, flogged it after a few months and bought a BSA Mercury.
    The classic Wobbly Webley, eh?

Not exclusive to the Wobblies, my Mercury developed a very sloppy breech, too.

And they still make some of 'em like that!

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    both. with added bonus of a ricochet into neighbours greenhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I'll bet you weren't popular !
    Again, seemingly funny now, but could have been so much worse. More luck than judgement in so many cases.

Don't want to be a killjoy, but it's this sort of thing that fuelled / fuels the antis.

i started dabbling with airguns mid 1970s after my unclle gave me a gat gun,back then most time i couldnt afford pellets so use to cut the plastic bit off shoe lace a ram a needle in it make darts lol also used to pick pellets out the fence with a knife roll em up into round balls n fire em again lol,the gat gun was crap so swapped it for a diana sp50 which wasnt much better,after that i got a bsa scorpion pistol which was great also a rifle but cant remember make model but i do remember it fired ok,also i loved hunting with deadshot/milbro cattys £1-10p they were i liked em better than black widow which came out bit later.

first experience

mine was my uncles bsa meteo i took aim at one of his tulips and i thought never hit it but i did and did worry for a little while but got away with it thank goodness, he used to shoot mice in my nans kitchen fancy doing that these days