Thread: FWB Sport modified internals

FWB Sport modified internals

Had a peep through the cocking slot and had to a have a proper look. Anyone recognise the signature.
    Non standard spring 270 mm x 21 x 3.5 x 31.5 coils x 38 lb.f/inch rate.
    60 mm pre load. TP < 3 mm
    Black seal, nice scarf joint to bearing ring which is tight in the groove.

Thanks for looking

Quick update with a Titan1 for comparison

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    neat mod, well executed. weight the piston too - it's likely to have had a haircut. stock is 350 g IIRC (have it written down someplace)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Lovely job. I've seen a couple of badly lubed Sports where there was galling inside the cylinder from grit or something at the rear of the piston. I'll bet it's smooth to fire?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Strangely Garvin just picked it up to shoot in the garage and didn't like it at all. Quick chrono meant it needed to come apart.
    Spring/guides/seal are good fit lots of spring noise.
    I'm no tuner but mine are more comfortable methinks. Bringing power down and fitting original spec. spring next.

beer can piston sleeve
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Strangely Garvin just picked it up to shoot in the garage and didn't like it at all. Quick chrono meant it needed to come apart.
    Spring/guides/seal are good fit lots of spring noise.
    I'm no tuner but mine are more comfortable methinks. Bringing power down and fitting original spec. spring next.
    Shame. Hopefully a piston sleeve and/or original spring will make it smoother.

Although I've heard several times that the original long spring is nicer to cock and shoot, but I have the shorter (stiffer?) Maccari Arctic spring in mine and it's fantastic at around 11 ft/lbs, especially with an old-style wide Maccari alloy trigger. (See Phil Bulmer's strip in the December 2006 AGW).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

just find a longish spring that's a decent fit on the guide, and sort out any rattling in the piston with a sleeve. They don;t need much tuning.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I always found that my old FWB sport (a.22) used to go through factory springs in pretty short order, about 2 years & that was their lot. Preload was huge & It made the rifle twangy as hell. Picked up an old school Maccari kit & it just drops in, push breechblock home & put the bolt in, easy peasy. Rifle was completely transformed, quieter, smoother & more accurate, power was spot on. No way would i go back to any longer spring.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    I always found that my old FWB sport (a.22) used to go through factory springs in pretty short order, about 2 years & that was their lot. Preload was huge & It made the rifle twangy as hell. Picked up an old school Maccari kit & it just drops in, push breechblock home & put the bolt in, easy peasy. Rifle was completely transformed, quieter, smoother & more accurate, power was spot on. No way would i go back to any longer spring.
    My 124 has a V-Mach kit in it which has a short spring, you could fit it without a compressor. It too is very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    My 124 has a V-Mach kit in it which has a short spring, you could fit it without a compressor. It too is very smooth.
    And very nice to shoot yours is, I know from experience, but for me it is still a toss up between that and the standard set up in mine.