Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peep sights on models

peep sights on models

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...0114&saletype=

i was looking at this model is that original or is the peep sights an adaption from bsa or a custom gunsmith looks a rather nice rifle ...

are these common ???

Quote Originally Posted by let me shoot it View Post

i was looking at this model is that original or is the peep sights an adaption from bsa or a custom gunsmith looks a rather nice rifle ...

are these common ???
    Hi,

The sight is a quite rare originally factory fitted BSA No 12 which is only adjustable for elevation, but the foresight on these air rifles can be easily drift adjusted for windage as the blade is located within a dovetail slot. An advantage of this particular sight is that it can be folded down to allow use of the standard rear sight which helps when shooting at different ranges or when the light is poor.

The rifle looks like a nice example, but I would personally prefer .177 calibre, and don't forget auction estimates are usually on the low side to attract interest plus you need to take buyer commission into account in the final price.

I would still recommend a trip to Kempton where you can compare what's on offer and negotiate a much more competitive price than at auction etc.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 18-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

The sight is a quite rare originally factory fitted BSA No 12 which is only adjustable for elevation, but the foresight on these air rifles can be easily drift adjusted for windage as the blade is located within a dovetail slot. An advantage of this particular sight is that it can be folded down to allow use of the standard rear sight which helps when shooting at different ranges or when the light is poor.

The rifle looks like a nice example, but I would personally prefer .177 calibre, and don't forget auction estimates are usually on the low side to attract interest plus you need to take buyer commission into account in the final price.

I would still recommend a trip to Kempton where you can compare what's on offer and negotiate a much more competitive price than at auction etc.

Brian
    i will take your advice brian thank you

mike

Hi,

Brian
    are they original did bsa do rifles like this to order or did they release them without and this done as an aftermarket thing or a custom job ??

As far as I'm aware, the No 12 sight needed to be specified as an option when ordering a new rifle from BSA. The installation required some machining to install, and consequently would not have been suitable for aftermarket installation. The larger No 8 sight could be easily fitted to the Straight Hand Stock by the owner at a later date, but the Pistol Hand stock requires some wood removal. I have rifles fitted with both sights, but the No 12 is far neater solution than the No8 although the No 8 is adjustable for both elevation and windage.

Brian

i was afraid of this answer because now i like this setup it is going to be more expensive and desirable

still it will upset my friend greatly when he shoots his next to me

regards mike

The larger No 8 sight could be easily fitted to the Straight Hand Stock by the owner at a later date, but the Pistol Hand stock requires some wood removal. I have rifles fitted with both sights
    Brian
    Hi Brian,
    I fitted a no8 sight to my straight stock LP as per the 1910 BSA catalogue illustration, however I found it hampered my hold slightly, which was enough to upset my shot so I took it off.

[IMG][/IMG]

How have you mounted yours? I couldn’t mount it further forward as it was too high even at the lowest setting and any further back would mean removing some wood from the stock.
    This one shoots perfectly so I’m not going to alter it, I’m toying with getting a second light pattern and cutting it into the stock.

Cheers,
    Matt.

cutting??? drilling

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi Brian,
    I fitted a no8 sight to my straight stock LP as per the 1910 BSA catalogue illustration, however I found it hampered my hold slightly, which was enough to upset my shot so I took it off.

How have you mounted yours? I couldn’t mount it further forward as it was too high even at the lowest setting and any further back would mean removing some wood from the stock.
    This one shoots perfectly so I’m not going to alter it, I’m toying with getting a second light pattern and cutting it into the stock.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Hi Matt,

Here is picture of my BSA Light Pattern fitted with the No 8 sight. I removed the standard rear sight and fitted a PH tunnel unit to give a choice between foresight blades. It shoots a bit high at the lowest level of vertical adjustment, but this suits my normal sight picture. As I'm sure you are already aware, the No 8 sight can be found with different stem heights and it's the shortest version which is more suited to air gun ranges. I also found the BSA mounting plate pictured, but haven't used it as it was never originally advertised or intended as being suitable for air gun use

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 18-06-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Hi Matt,

Here is picture of my BSA Light Pattern fitted with the No 8 sight. I removed the standard rear sight and fitted a PH tunnel unit to give a choice between foresight blades. It shoots a bit high at the lowest level of vertical adjustment, but this suits my normal sight picture. I also found the BSA mounting plate pictured, but haven't used it as it was never originally advertised as being suitable for air gun use

Regards
    Brian
    Thanks Brian,
    I see you’ve mounted yours further forward so you can wrap your thumb round it.
    Nice setup. I’ve just bought a no19 foresight on here with the ring/post elements so maybe if the ring sits higher that the original bead it’d line up better for me with the no.8 mounted further forward.

The LP I have now is so accurate, I’m curious to see what I can get with a ring foresight and rear peepsight combination.
    I remember seeing the no.19 foresight in the old BSA catalogue and being intrigued.

I’ll keep an eye out for another straight stock LP at Kempton.

Cheers,
    Matt.

are they original did bsa do rifles like this to order or did they release them without and this done as an aftermarket thing or a custom job ??
    Hi,

I see the rifle you liked the look of sold for £280 hammer price at yesterday's Holts auction which equates to £364 with costs still leaving shipping charges if unable to personally attend the auction on the day.

A nice rifle especially fitted with the BSA No 12 sight, but you are still better off making the trip to browse the many lovely examples that I'm sure will be on display at Kempton Park.

Here out of interest is an image of the original BSA Handbook page relating to the types of peep sight that could be fitted to the Pre WW1 range of air rifles.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-06-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks very interesting read that. Which book was it out of ?

Regards mike.. ps i did not go all out to win that bid because the parts did not seems to match i questioned the stock.very dark in colour for the time ?just did not look original?

Also the patina seemed to be amiss ?

are these common ???
    I like these peep sights, Here are two different types on Junior rifles. The single rifle is my bell target jobbie and has a replacement peep, made by an Engineer that stalls at our Fair...

Better pictures