Thread: Prewar air rifle powers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Prewar air rifle powers?

I quite fancy the old BSA underlever rifles, can anyone give me an idea of the power they have in decent order?

I would only be interested in .177, further to the above, how much power can the be made to produce?

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    I quite fancy the old BSA underlever rifles, can anyone give me an idea of the power they have in decent order?

I would only be interested in .177, further to the above, how much power can the be made to produce?
    https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....qs-2/#post-504

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....qs-2/#post-514
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks Garvin, so I guess finding one capable of 11.5 fpe is going to be tricky then.

vintage BSAs

In the early 70s I worked on the railways at a place called Riiple Lane.A driver there tuned an old Lincoln Jeffries 22 for me and when I got it back it was phenominal.That mans name Terry Robb .top marks.
    Last edited by scooter48; 20-06-2019 at 08:40 AM.

I re-built one a while back, did nothing spectacular, new spring from Troubled Shooter polished the cylinder, spring guide and a few other bits new seal trimmed and soaked in Neatsfoot oil etc and was shocked when I put it through the chrono. After a poor start it climbed to just under 10 ft lbs. then started to go down a bit and seemed to settle at about 8.5 ft lbs. Not bad I thought....
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I asked about this a while back.
    I have a 1910 light pattern that shoots very nicely at 5.5ftlbs with a new spring and leather washer.
    The larger ones put out higher power, for example a guy at our club has a nicely shooting Club Special doing around 10.5 I believe.

Extremely accurate rifles when set up well and shot correctly.

Matt.