Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there many woman airgun shooters in the UK

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Are there many woman airgun shooters in the UK

Or is airgunning mostly a boys sport/hobby, I have heard that there are a few woman that like the sport but personally I have only meet one, most that I know dislike airguns.

I was wondering what other airgunners views are and why there are not more woman in the sport.

It could give the sport/hobby a boost (or would it) any opinions?

Is the answer Diana?

You don't seem to hear of many "casual" lady shooters but in HFT they probably make up around 10% of shooters. Some really good ones out there as well , at our last shoot (Kingsley) Theresa Reed and Sarah Pantling were second and third with 59 and 58 For some reason I don't think there is as high a percentage in FT.
    Men can just fancy shooting and get into it at whatever age, don't think women really think of it. Most involved have some family background of shooting to point them in the right direction.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    You don't seem to hear of many "casual" lady shooters but in HFT they probably make up around 10% of shooters. Some really good ones out there as well , at our last shoot (Kingsley) Theresa Reed and Sarah Pantling were second and third with 59 and 58 For some reason I don't think there is as high a percentage in FT.
    Men can just fancy shooting and get into it at whatever age, don't think women really think of it. Most involved have some family background of shooting to point them in the right direction.
    I have heard woman say that they are better than men at multitasking, I wonder if this could be a advantage when shooting like when they are driving.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    My wife shoots but only because I do, if I gave it up so would she.

I'd say it's a very male dominated sport just in the same way that not many men do aerobics
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

There are at least 6 ladies at the boinger bash events who shoot and enjoy doing so.
    Les..

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I've got ten coming to the first bell target club session. Two are women, I'd say that's fairly representative.

I've deliberately kept numbers small to begin.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Write-ups in the magazines from competitions and numbers at Boinger Bash events would lead me to concur with the above.

It'd be great to see more ladies get into the sport and would surely see a massive boost for numbers.

I guess the new Target Sprint discipline could be a big boost.

It'd be interesting to get to know the real split and then to get the views of current female shooters to see where efforts should be put into to the end of attracting more into our lovely, cuddly, all-inclusive sport....barriers encountered etc.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Female shooters

After a mate packed in shooting my girlfriend bought his 97K at a snip of a price and enjoys some plinking with that.
    But she farms and had a selection of 12gs as it stands and shoots clays occasionally with me. She's debating on getting a rifle for fox in the near future.
    I took the ex wife shooting once on the clays. It was part of a deal. She comes clay pigeon shooting with me and I spend an evening watching a ballet with her. She ended up with a bruised shoulder and I'm afraid to say I went back on the deal and never went to the ballet. The old Paul Hogan sketch where he exclaims "strewth that blokes got no strides on"! Comes to mind
    Dave

My misses shoots both HFT and FT, her most often remark is the lack of Facilities, as she says, you men can pee behind a tree but we have problems in that area!.
    If more clubs want to encourage women this the area that needs looking at.
    Dave.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I've got ten coming to the first bell target club session. Two are women, I'd say that's fairly representative.

I've deliberately kept numbers small to begin.

Dave
    Deliberately kept the number of women small ? Brave, but makes sense
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVALI View Post
    My misses shoots both HFT and FT, her most often remark is the lack of Facilities, as she says, you men can pee behind a tree but we have problems in that area!.
    If more clubs want to encourage women this the area that needs looking at.
    Dave.
    Same with my mrs, can hit more targets than me (sometimes) but wont go to a lot of places due to the lack of loos - the issue does need to be looked at, even portaloos or a bucket in a shed are ok by her

Could part of it be that men go out shooting to get away from the Mrs for a few hours ? so don't go out of their way to encourage the wife & kids to join them

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Could part of it be that men go out shooting to get away from the Mrs for a few hours ? so don't go out of their way to encourage the wife & kids to join them
    Quite possibly, though at several clubs I've been to, there are several lady members that attend without their husband/boyfriend, or their partners have joined because the 'other half' shoots
    Last edited by SuffolkRifle; 19-06-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Auto correct playing SB

arnie2b Guest
    There was one once who shot a balloon with a 12 ft/lbs prosport at 200 yards.
    The rest is history .