Thread: BSF S29 Match - Dropped in my lap

BSF S29 Match - Dropped in my lap

I had a table at a local gun show last weekend and a guy came up to my table and we started talking. He said he had a Airgun in his car that he probably wanted to sell it, told him to bring it over and I would take a look. Was surprised to see this BSF S20 Match boxed and about mint. It’s a pistol I wasn’t really looking for, but the figured stock and condition struck me and he accepted a offer I knew I couldn’t loose money on. These are really odd pistols to me? The basic pistol was made since the 1950’s. This later 1980’s version added a Sile Grip with awesome walnut and crazy contours. Nice thick trigger, very good quality build. One long sighting radius! Lol. Low power target pistol which kind of intrigues me just cause it’s different?

https://imgur.com/gallery/yjb6OGw

Great find! Why dont I ever get finds like that? All I get is immaculate boxed Webley Mk1s.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I was curious that you said the BSF S20 was a low power target pistol, as I had always thought it to be a fairly high power pistol because of its large swept volume. In fact it always struck me as almost a cut-down air rifle. Anyway, I chrono'd my example which probably needs lubing and hasn't been fired for 15 years and got an average of about 450 fps with waisted pellets, and 400 fps with lead ball shot, which seems to put it up there with the more powerful springer pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I was curious that you said the BSF S20 was a low power target pistol, as I had always thought it to be a fairly high power pistol because of its large swept volume. In fact it always struck me as almost a cut-down air rifle. Anyway, I chrono'd my example which probably needs lubing and hasn't been fired for 15 years and got an average of about 450 fps with waisted pellets, and 400 fps with lead ball shot, which seems to put it up there with the more powerful springer pistols.
    Low power was wrong sorry, mine would be average power, I was probably thinking low for what it should be? My example is getting 380-390 with seated Hobbys. Certainly isn’t the spring, not easy to cock and the pistol seems about new but he said not used for years. Put 30 weight ND oil in chamber maybe that is not ideal. This was bought in 1982, assume synthetic seal?
    Last edited by 45flint; 19-06-2019 at 02:19 PM.

That's lovely. There is something very appealing about big break barrel pistols to me. Don't know why but I just like the look of them
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    That's lovely. There is something very appealing about big break barrel pistols to me. Don't know why but I just like the look of them
    I don’t disagree a lot of wood and blued steel.

These things are odd. They look like they make power. But.

Yours is making about 2.25 ft-lbs, which is low. Needs servicing?

Most tests have them in the 380-480 ft-lbs region with 7 grain (higher end of those figures) or 7.9 grain (lower end) pellets. So around 3 ft-lbs. Same ballpark as a Webley Senior or Diana LP5.