Thread: Bad deals - a contraindication

Bad deals - a contraindication

Regulars on here won't have failed to note the threads about bad deals recently; I'd like to offer an opposite scenario.

I put a post on the Wanted/Swaps threads for an original accessory that was missing from an air rifle I recently acquired. I was initially offered an alternative item for a reasonable sum, but declined it as it wasn't an original type. A few weeks later, I was contacted by another member to say he had one spare, and would look it out and put it in the post to me free of charge. In the past, this member had it fitted to a similar air rifle to mine, that had been sold on since. After contact between us, it transpired that the item he had, was the same as the one I declined, as far as I knew not an original type. Now it so happens that the air rifle that was sold on, later returned to the previous owner after some refurbishment. The member told me he would look at the item that was now fitted to his gun. Not only was it the exact item that I was looking for, but he then proceeded to remove it from his gun, and popped it in the post to me free of charge. He wouldn't even let me pay the postage. I am overwhelmed by the continuing help and efforts that a lot of members give to each other on this forum.
    I just felt that in the light of 'bad deals' that have made the news lately, my experience may serve as an anathema to them. I won't embarrass the member by naming him, he knows who he is, and I am grateful.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    There certainly is some good generous members in here for instant i just took delivery of .38 empty used brass free of charge, was expecting a few but i got 700 off,was very blown off my socks to get that much, the good chappy won't accept my postage cost so i donated it to help the hero fund. Just to let everybody know, i use it to make a paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    Regulars on here won't have failed to note the threads about bad deals recently; I'd like to offer an opposite scenario.

I put a post on the Wanted/Swaps threads for an original accessory that was missing from an air rifle I recently acquired. I was initially offered an alternative item for a reasonable sum, but declined it as it wasn't an original type. A few weeks later, I was contacted by another member to say he had one spare, and would look it out and put it in the post to me free of charge. In the past, this member had it fitted to a similar air rifle to mine, that had been sold on since. After contact between us, it transpired that the item he had, was the same as the one I declined, as far as I knew not an original type. Now it so happens that the air rifle that was sold on, later returned to the previous owner after some refurbishment. The member told me he would look at the item that was now fitted to his gun. Not only was it the exact item that I was looking for, but he then proceeded to remove it from his gun, and popped it in the post to me free of charge. He wouldn't even let me pay the postage. I am overwhelmed by the continuing help and efforts that a lot of members give to each other on this forum.
    I just felt that in the light of 'bad deals' that have made the news lately, my experience may serve as an anathema to them. I won't embarrass the member by naming him, he knows who he is, and I am grateful.
    Kindness is a rare thing these days it’s good that it is still around. It’s good to see well done to who ever helped you out.

I have been on the receiving end of some fair, no-hassle deals with some lovely sellers and have also benefitted from some amazing, selfless acts of generosity from a good number of BBS members.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    Kindness is a rare thing these days it’s good that it is still around. It’s good to see well done to who ever helped you out.
    Many years ago myself and the other half returned from a long hike to find the scheduled ferry across the estuary had decided to terminate hours early. It was a very long walk round. I enquired of a guy in a dinghy who was taking supplies to his boat. He said when he had finished that trip he would come back and take us across, which he duly did. It was a fair distance and not easy going against the tide and wind, and at the end I gratefully thanked him, and offered some cash for his fuel or a beer or two. He politely declined, and simply said: “Pass it on”. I have been “passing it on” ever since. It’s a great philosophy.
    Last edited by wobbly bob; 23-06-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly bob View Post
    Many years ago myself and the other half returned from a long hike to find the scheduled ferry across the estuary had decided to terminate hours early. It was a very long walk round. I enquired of a guy in a dinghy who was taking supplies to his boat. He said when he had finished that trip he would come back and take us across, which he duly did. It was a fair distance and not easy going against the tide and wind, and at the end I offered some cash for his fuel or a beer or two. He politely declined, and simply said: “Pass it on”. I have been “passing it on” ever since. It’s a great philosophy.
    I shall certainly "pass it on" too.

I have donated some things like mags and Uncle Mike's sling fittings in the past to help people out and never wanted payment, even for posting

I advertised for a Rapid type 7 shot mag in Wanted, and one very kind member (sorry, I can't remember their name) offered me one FOC as he had plenty. he wouldn't even accept any money for postage so I asked him if he was happy with a donation to H4H which I made

There are some very good folk on this BBS who will go out of their way to help fellow members
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I think it's a general reflection of the Airgun community as a whole not just on here.

I've had such offers on here, the tiger forum and a number of airgun companies.

Long may it last.