Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Stock bolt well and truly stuck! :(

I have a 12" long by 1/2" dia bronze rod, I used it to tap on the head of the bolt on mine, I reckon it broke the seal of the stuff that seemingly glued mine together!

If mine comes loose with use, I may have to apply threadlock too!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Finally got it loose!

Letting it soak in vinegar for 24 hours worked. Managed to get the thing unscrewed from the trigger block. Had some trouble removing the stock bolt from the stock though but it came out eventually. Stock unfortunately did suffer from a split on the top end but I have managed to glue the split and it is barely noticeable.

The bolt head is pretty screwed....

Well it did take a lot of abuse to get out. Good thing I have plenty spare.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Trouble is that the bolt is around four inches long and is actually stuck in the back end of the trigger block

If heat is applied to the trigger block, It should expand it- Hopefully less than it expands the bolt, This way it could loosen it's grip on the bolt..

I just tried a 12" bronze 1/2" dia rod down it, Tapped it on the head of the bolt and it's actually loosened ever so slightly, Strange thing is that when I tight it, It becomes loose, If I undo it by the 10° or so, It grips the stock better!!

John
    Sounds a bit like the bolt may be a little bent John?
    Is it like the Airsporter - steel into alloy trigger block?
    Corrosion the problem - need anti sieze fluid in the threads!
    What do I know?

ASM.
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Sounds a bit like the bolt may be a little bent John?
    Is it like the Airsporter - steel into alloy trigger block?
    Corrosion the problem - need anti sieze fluid in the threads!
    What do I know?

ASM.

Hi ASM

It's actually steel in to a steel trigger block, I think the grey stuff was liquid steel as someone damaged the threads on the bolt, The threads in the trigger block seemed ok if a little shallow!

The bolt has quite a large head, I think I have one that came with a Light pattern action that I bought some years ago if it starts coming loose, Trouible is that they may be different and at the moment, I haven't aclue where it is!!

It seems to be holding very well at the moment but after a tub of pellets, I suppose could start coming loose with the vibration!

I just removed the breech desl to find the recess is only 2.5mm deep!, Thought it would have been deeper!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Don't laugh but have you removed the trigger guard rear screw? I heard s story that someone with a sloppy wood screw (not uncommon) had drilled into the stock bolt and wound a 1'' stainless self tapper in

Unlikely, I know....
    Not so unlikely that it didn't happen to me! -- it had me stumped for a while, especially as the stock was quite loose on the trigger block. A previous owner had drilled through the stock bolt and tapped it for a machine screw on my 1930 .22 Standard pattern.
    All sorted now though
    Best regards, Clogger