Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Service Air Rifle Mk2 Restoration

Webley Service Air Rifle Mk2 Restoration

Afternoon
    Can't make up my mind on this one so thought I would see what opinions people had.
    A while back now I dug out the service rifle from the bottom of the gun cabinet and it has to be said at the time that it looked in a pretty sorry state as it had been completely stripped down and was showing quite a lot of rust in places, thankfully most of the rust was just on the surface and it has cleaned up well.
    Originally I was missing the bolt and the rear aperture, I have now managed to find an original bolt but have not yet found a rear aperture. The gun is also down on power at about 1.5 ft/lb, I understand from earlier posts that it should be around 8.5 - 9 ft.lb.
    The gun belonged to my grandfather and has been used and abused by various members of the family over the years. There are also various marks on the stock and the bluing is pretty much non existent.
    Money has not been an issue as the rifle would never be for sale and I am hoping that my son can use it once he is old enough. So once I have tracked down a rear aperture and have a complete rifle I have the following decision to make, should I leave it in its current condition or get the bluing re done and the stock sanded and re-varnished????? I also need to resolve the issue with the lack of power.

"never be sold" and "grandfather" are the keys for me.
    Can only say what I would do.
    Check the internals and fix faults.
    First go for fine wire wool with oil and lots of elbow grease on externals and see how the result suits.
    Re finish is the last option 'cos it's not really reversible.
    Bring grandad back into it by thinking what he would have done.
    I would be delighted to think my grandchildren would like to work on any of mine.
    Whatever they decided would be fine with me.
    Here's one they may well have to finish for me!

A couple given the full works which may help a decision

Keep us informed please. Pictures! We luv pictures!
    Last edited by deejayuu; 18-12-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks for the feedback Deejayuu.
    The before and after pic's are interesting and I must admit that they do look a treat with the bluing re-done.
    A few pictures on the link below, will try to get some more sorted. These were taken as I had made a bolt to use until I found an original and I might offer it up for sale although I am not sure what someone would pay for it or if anyone would be interested.
    http://imgur.com/a/e7EIP

Unfortunately, the rear aperture sight is a part that is sometimes either entirely missing or missing some component parts, and can be expensive to replace.
    The lack of power may well be down to either a worn spring, worn piston rings or worn breech seal, or a combination of all three.
    If the rifle still had some original finish and was just in a good used condition, I would say leave it as it is, but if the rifle is in that poor a condition, and you intend to give it to your son, I would suggest a decent re-finish might be in order as it would then protect the rifle if it was extensively used.
    Richard H on this forum runs a very good re-finishing service as I'm sure others may well testify, but other re-finishers are available.

webley service

Hi, JG, John Knibbs sells a repro rear peepsight, about £105, plus postage,(make sure the small spring is sent as well) Atb, Ray.

webley service

Hi, yours is a series 3 service rifle,you will also need the plunger,(part no128c,£4)and spring(part no131c,£3) that fit under the peep sight, knibbs sells both, hope this helps,Atb ,Ray.

Looks typical for well used 80 yr old to me. Tricky to assess from the photos and pity about the missing tasty bits which are
    fetching crazy prices for original or repro as has been said. Can't remember if you said the calibre.
    Have to also say the separate parts go well on open auction site. Probably fetch more than complete in that condition.
    Low power is probably broken spring/dry or broken piston ring.

In my post concerning the sight leaf spring, I was thinking this was a first pattern service, but as Wrighton says above it is a third pattern and the plunger and spring are as he describes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    Will keep shopping for a peep sight and once the gun is complete will make a decision on how much more work to do on it.
    The rifle is a .22

Just wondering how you went on?

Dragging up an old thread here...how did it go?

There is a man...

That makes things like this

His name is Paul O'Donnell and he is on the North Entrance of our fair on Sunday

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    still waiting for him to make some Britania rearsights too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have a series 3 service rifle ,it’s got about 60% original finish,it will be up for sale one day,if I had to keep it in the family why not have it completely reblued and the stock done as well,mike

Stocks available too

Quote Originally Posted by D10bore View Post
    I have a series 3 service rifle ,it’s got about 60% original finish,it will be up for sale one day,if I had to keep it in the family why not have it completely reblued and the stock done as well,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    still waiting for him to make some Britania rearsights too
    Just give him £200 up front, to get em started