Thread: Barrel threading by mail?

Barrel threading by mail?

Anyone know anyone who could thread an air rifle barrel by post?

Hoping I can find a place I can post it to and get it back in a few days to a week or so?

Thanks

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    tricky commercially with VCR act
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    tricky commercially with VCR act
    Really? Have I missed something? Threading a customers barrel should not pose any legal issues. I have done quite a few recently. I am not buying or selling any parts, simply screw cutting barrels to an agreed standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    Really? Have I missed something? Threading a customers barrel should not pose any legal issues. I have done quite a few recently. I am not buying or selling any parts, simply screw cutting barrels to an agreed standard.
    actually, i think you are right, sorry.
    yeah, if the customer is sending you a barrel they already have, and then you return it, that should be OK...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

a mate does mine for me.ive had a few services in owners also wanting to have barrels threaded
    what gun is it for?
    yea posting barrels is ok.buying a specific barrel commercially has to go to a RFD UNLESS its a blank then it can be sent to joe public
    only when its for a certain type of gun,say hw8o/air arms s410 etc then the VCR act comes in to force

Surely if you are charging for a service you are trading and should be registered under the VCR act even if its only for working on sub 12 air rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Surely if you are charging for a service you are trading and should be registered under the VCR act even if its only for working on sub 12 air rifles?
    Which is the reason people are no longer advertising/making/selling those fantastic home build carbon mods of several years back.

If you take payment for doing something then it's not a hobby it's a business (that's the HMRC definition) & business rules apply.

But the VCR act allows you to send a part you own to be worked on & then have it sent directly back to you because you already own it, only buying extra parts is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

If you take payment for doing something then it's not a hobby it's a business (that's the HMRC definition) & business rules apply.

But the VCR act allows you to send a part you own to be worked on & then have it sent directly back to you because you already own it, only buying extra parts is covered.
    Surely that then means that you are breaking the VCR act by sending parts to be worked on by a business that isnt registered as a RFD?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Surely that then means that you are breaking the VCR act by sending parts to be worked on by a business that isnt registered as a RFD?
    People can sell their air rifles without needing to be an RFD - I understand there is a limit on the number of transactions per year. Perhaps there is a similar limit on the number of guns/gun parts that can be worked on without an RFD.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    Anyone know anyone who could thread an air rifle barrel by post?

Hoping I can find a place I can post it to and get it back in a few days to a week or so?

Thanks
    What's the rifle chum?
    Do you already have the mod ?

Fancy a drive to the new forest ?

NO, not if you're a private individual who is legally entitled to own the item, It's not up to you to check the business doing the work has it's paperwork in order.

Just like the VCR act does not stop private sales being sent direct because it only applies to business sales,
    just like it does not effect a foreign business sending direct to your door because it only applies to UK business.

It's a stupid act/law not fit for purpose.

yup, and it just hurts UK businesses.. look at JSR for example; been selling rifles mail order for years until the act came in. My first ever brand new rifle was from JSR - an HW80, in .177, for £88. Saved up for over a year to buy that when I turned 17.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yup, and it just hurts UK businesses.. look at JSR for example; been selling rifles mail order for years until the act came in. My first ever brand new rifle was from JSR - an HW80, in .177, for £88. Saved up for over a year to buy that when I turned 17.
    Totally agree, it's about time it was abolished, I think the main reason it was brought in was to mainly make it harder for shooters to obtain the parts/rifles and services they need and so that they just give up the hobby because of the aggro involved, not to make it harder for criminals to obtain weapons, like they say it's supposed to do, because we all know that if a criminal wants something, then they will get it anyway, regardless of any VCR act or other laws.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

NO, not if you're a private individual who is legally entitled to own the item, It's not up to you to check the business doing the work has it's paperwork in order.

Just like the VCR act does not stop private sales being sent direct because it only applies to business sales,
    just like it does not effect a foreign business sending direct to your door because it only applies to UK business.

Thanks for the explanation. It is a stupid act/law. The intention may have been good but........