Thread: Diana 240 as a HW30 alternative

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diana 240 as a HW30 alternative

As above ladies, what does the collective think of the Diana model 240. Have been pondering over the HW30 with Tru-glo sights for a while but really can't be a&$*& with the whole de-burring/re-design of the cocking lever thing and came across the Diana 240. Is it now a chinese clone or still made in Germany, how do they shoot etc. Your views would be appreciated.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Funnily I recently purchased a couple of low powered Dianas as an alternative to my HW30's. I have a 24d and a 27. Both very capable low powered plinkers, doing about 6 ft/lb (both are .22). From what I've seen of the 240's (check out Pyramid air blogs) they would appear to be German (or maybe Bulgarian) made. Both mine were over 30 years old and neither had eaten themselves with the Galling issues the 30's have (I also own two 30's and have worked on several more to balance the argument).

I also have a 1990 24D (T01) which is lovely and feels very well engineered.

I seem to remember spotting a while ago that the 240 / Eleven were now made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing and I've seen the odd review or two reporting that the 240 is a sweet, accurate little thing.

P.S. I've just been looking at some images on line and, although I wouldn't say it's conclusive, from those images it would seem that the 240 is built in Germany and the Eleven in China.
    Last edited by TonyL; 24-06-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: P.S.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I have an older 26 (ancestor of the 240) that is rather nice.

Good review of the 240 here:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...lassic-part-4/

If the rifle isn't for a youngster, I think I'd be tempted to maybe up the budget a little. The 280 Classic with T06 trigger is being advertised at £245 at McAvoy Guns.

A bargain, methinks.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If the rifle isn't for a youngster, I think I'd be tempted to maybe up the budget a little. The 280 Classic with T06 trigger is being advertised at £245 at McAvoy Guns.

A bargain, methinks.
    I picked up a very clean and boxed 280k about twelve months ago and have been very impressed with it. It's very pointable and accurate. Being carbine and .177 discharge is a little harsher than I would like but I've left it as I got it. I'm sure it can be improved though. Trigger is particularly good.
    If the 240 has the T06 trigger I'd imagine it's a cracker but as said here it may be a better investment to upgrade to the 280 and have hunting power.
    That said I recall McCoy's discounting the 240 down to £105 at one time. Not a king's ransom in anyone's books...
    Dave