Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diana 240 as a HW30 alternative

Diana 240 as a HW30 alternative

As above ladies, what does the collective think of the Diana model 240. Have been pondering over the HW30 with Tru-glo sights for a while but really can't be a&$*& with the whole de-burring/re-design of the cocking lever thing and came across the Diana 240. Is it now a chinese clone or still made in Germany, how do they shoot etc. Your views would be appreciated.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Funnily I recently purchased a couple of low powered Dianas as an alternative to my HW30's. I have a 24d and a 27. Both very capable low powered plinkers, doing about 6 ft/lb (both are .22). From what I've seen of the 240's (check out Pyramid air blogs) they would appear to be German (or maybe Bulgarian) made. Both mine were over 30 years old and neither had eaten themselves with the Galling issues the 30's have (I also own two 30's and have worked on several more to balance the argument).

I also have a 1990 24D (T01) which is lovely and feels very well engineered.

I seem to remember spotting a while ago that the 240 / Eleven were now made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing and I've seen the odd review or two reporting that the 240 is a sweet, accurate little thing.

P.S. I've just been looking at some images on line and, although I wouldn't say it's conclusive, from those images it would seem that the 240 is built in Germany and the Eleven in China.
    Last edited by TonyL; 24-06-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: P.S.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have an older 26 (ancestor of the 240) that is rather nice.

Good review of the 240 here:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...lassic-part-4/

If the rifle isn't for a youngster, I think I'd be tempted to maybe up the budget a little. The 280 Classic with T06 trigger is being advertised at £245 at McAvoy Guns.

A bargain, methinks.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If the rifle isn't for a youngster, I think I'd be tempted to maybe up the budget a little. The 280 Classic with T06 trigger is being advertised at £245 at McAvoy Guns.

A bargain, methinks.
    I picked up a very clean and boxed 280k about twelve months ago and have been very impressed with it. It's very pointable and accurate. Being carbine and .177 discharge is a little harsher than I would like but I've left it as I got it. I'm sure it can be improved though. Trigger is particularly good.
    If the 240 has the T06 trigger I'd imagine it's a cracker but as said here it may be a better investment to upgrade to the 280 and have hunting power.
    That said I recall McCoy's discounting the 240 down to £105 at one time. Not a king's ransom in anyone's books...
    Dave

More as a back garden plinker so 6 ft/bs plenty. I have an open sighted 99s but quite fancied something with less grunt

John

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I picked up a very clean and boxed 280k about twelve months ago and have been very impressed with it. It's very pointable and accurate. Being carbine and .177 discharge is a little harsher than I would like but I've left it as I got it. I'm sure it can be improved though. Trigger is particularly good.
    If the 240 has the T06 trigger I'd imagine it's a cracker but as said here it may be a better investment to upgrade to the 280 and have hunting power.
    That said I recall McCoy's discounting the 240 down to £105 at one time. Not a king's ransom in anyone's books...
    Dave
    I recall seeing the 240 at £105 from McAvoys a year or so ago and seriously considered getting one. I passed as I have two 24's and a 27 (ex- Mark Capitalbee 27). All three are excellent and I have no doubt the modern 240 will fit the bill for a 5fpe plinker.
    The issue with new Diana's is often the lack of factory lubrication which is an easy fix.
    One thing I would add is that the junior Diana's are actually junior size! They may be physically too small for some adults. .177 is always the calibre for these guns IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I recall seeing the 240 at £105 from McAvoys a year or so ago and seriously considered getting one. I passed as I have two 24's and a 27 (ex- Mark Capitalbee 27). All three are excellent and I have no doubt the modern 240 will fit the bill for a 5fpe plinker.
    The issue with new Diana's is often the lack of factory lubrication which is an easy fix.
    One thing I would add is that the junior Diana's are actually junior size! They may be physically too small for some adults. .177 is always the calibre for these guns IMO.
    Reading the BB Pelletier test above would seem to counter the view that the 240 is a junior gun at least in aspects of its physical size. He says it's measures around the 40 inch mark. Junior perhaps in its power output. Undoubtedly making it ideal for a youngster or a low power and all things being equal safer rear garden plinker.
    If Diana put the same engineering into the lower models as the upper ones then there is no reason why as the report suggests you cannot achieve good average accuracy potential on these guns.
    It can sometimes be as enjoyable putting some nice tight five shot groups together with a gun such as the 240 as dropping a distant silhouette target out at range. And all perhaps without leaving the confines of your home. It's good that Diana like many other marques are catering for the lower end of the market for those starting out and those without deep pockets. It's grass roots stuff.
    By the way at £105 I too was very tempted.
    Dave

For interest, a German video with sub-titles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdMaiCnFeiQ

Now to find one local to me

John

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    Now to find one local to me

John

I was wondering that, as they seem to have disappeared a bit. Cheapest new I saw was £175.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I was wondering that, as they seem to have disappeared a bit. Cheapest new I saw was £175.
    It does looks that way but an email to Edgar Bros will ascertain what stock they have and hopefully the name of a dealer local to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Hence me suggesting the 280 for not much more money.

Guaranteed the stock will fit an adult better. Quite a sweet action as standard. De-tuned to approx 8ft.lbs and lubed would make it even nicer and with the option of upping the power later if required / desired.
    Last edited by TonyL; 26-06-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: 280/240...Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hence me suggesting the 280 for not much more money.

Corrected for you Tone.

I wonder how a German spec' 280 shoots - Sportswaffen maybe?

https://www.versandhaus-schneider.de...ducts_id/39912

The 250 seems to be a restocked 240 (correct that - "designed in Germany" means made elsewhere and a poorer review) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqHJqYzau-I
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 26-06-2019 at 07:51 PM.