Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Mercury S

BSA Mercury S

I was lucky enough to own one of these in my ‘teens. I loved it and shot it lots, then one day it stopped working. Women came along and I forgot all about it. Then PCP’s were born and in my mid twenties I used them instead but i’ve always had a hankering for another Merc S. I looked and looked and couldn’t find what I wanted and then one came up on here. It was decent but far from perfect. The guts have been sorted and it shoots at 11.7ft lb.
    Anyway, this is where I am with the restoration. Picture below.
    I’ve put a lightweight modern scope on it and it shows 1p sized groups with .22 superdomes off a bench at 30 yards.
    I’ve nailed a good few squizzers and woodies since I’ve had it back and am very happy with it. Any ideas on what I could do next to improve it further?
    I’d love to see pictures of other Merc S’s if other members feel so bold.

lovely looking rifle,super stock
    ATB

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    That is indeed a lovely example, is the stock really that dark? not seen one that dark before, you're lucky if you manage to get any grain pattern on them sometimes or they are very light.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

That is an unusually attractive stock for a Mercury S mine is very light walnut as mentioned as being typical above!

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    lovely looking rifle,super stock
    ATB
    Just what I was going to say

That’s one beautiful gun ,in every way,never sell it ,you won’t find one better than that mike

I was exactly the same, as a kid had a mercury for a long time, until i lost it to a farmer, now I'm 49 and a few yrs back i bought a old mercury but unfortunately its not working as it should and needs some TLC of which i don't have the time with working away, then last yr i bought another one which does fire as it should, is in great condition, not as nice as yours i should add, but as yet Ive not had the time to get it out into the fields and try it, home in 3 weeks so will do then.

Mick

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Just lovely!

ASM.
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

The one I had in the 80’s was the same shade as that.

That’s a real peach mate 👍 I love my mercury, wouldn’t mind a .177 though

Atb
    Daniel

I have two Mercury S in 0.22 that are in excellent/immaculate original hardly used condition. They are nice to shoot and most pleasing to the eye! Both walnut stocks are of the lighter walnut, but fairly plain. The stock on one of them is about one inch longer at the breech end and slightly more rounded, other than that they are identical in chequering and grain. The stock on my Airsporter S is very much the same in character too.

All the best to all.....

The first S's were blond, both Mercury and Airsporter, circa 1982?? Very blond. Mid to late 80's a much darker colour done similar to the Century. And later still some even darker S's came out, though few had much stripe to the colour. Some only have chequering on the grip and then the Challenger came out as the flagship break barrel.
    I suspect yours is either a lucky late one or a refurbished which has had some staining put in. I'm hoping its the former and then you have a very tasty example well worth cherishing. Collectors of BSA's would love it.

Mint in box then well worth a hefty premium, though unlikely to break that £300 barrier (the blonds $250). Excellent then still a good premium but under £200. Well used but nice then as a shooter and not that much, £140. A good amount were made, but then most were heavily used and abused so good examples are not so common.
    The S's were expensive compared to the competition. Getting to the price range of a FWB Sport or HW35, both of which were better mousetraps.

While we are on 80's BSA's then these all shoot really well with their iron sights.

If you must scope them then they really demand nothing bigger than a 3-9x40. A 3-9x32 AO would be very nice. Frankly a 4x40 would hit anything in the farmyard. Annoyingly BSA branded scopes weren't often found and those that were weren't very good. Most the nasty 4x20's that have stamped metal mounts. For the blonds there were some 2-7x20/24/32??? with gold front ring and better glass. Sorry I haven't seen on example for a while, but they were 2-7x???.

Mounts then there is a set back Apel mount. Sportsmatch did them too but are bulkier. BSA scope groves aren't deep and scope creep was rife. Arrester blocks of various forms were about including one that needed drilling into the rear block.

BSA really didn't make life easy for us. Only sorted when the Challenger and Silverstar/Goldstar came out.

A well sorted Mercury is fast to load and hits with a punch. They can be tuned a tad to be smooth and well able to hit anything within the farmyard with a bit of practice and trigger time. Young eyes help with iron sights.

Luv a blond of the .22 variety of course.

I remember an article in airgun world or similar I think written by John Darling back in the day using a blond .22 mercury s. Helped get me into shooting that did

Lovely guns.

Atb

Probably one of the most attractive air rifles ever produced. Classic lines; simple, elegant and so purposeful looking.
    Such a pity that the triggers are bloody awful.

That is a real stunner OP.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.