Thread: BSA Mercury S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Mercury S

I was lucky enough to own one of these in my ‘teens. I loved it and shot it lots, then one day it stopped working. Women came along and I forgot all about it. Then PCP’s were born and in my mid twenties I used them instead but i’ve always had a hankering for another Merc S. I looked and looked and couldn’t find what I wanted and then one came up on here. It was decent but far from perfect. The guts have been sorted and it shoots at 11.7ft lb.
    Anyway, this is where I am with the restoration. Picture below.
    I’ve put a lightweight modern scope on it and it shows 1p sized groups with .22 superdomes off a bench at 30 yards.
    I’ve nailed a good few squizzers and woodies since I’ve had it back and am very happy with it. Any ideas on what I could do next to improve it further?
    I’d love to see pictures of other Merc S’s if other members feel so bold.

lovely looking rifle,super stock
    ATB

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    That is indeed a lovely example, is the stock really that dark? not seen one that dark before, you're lucky if you manage to get any grain pattern on them sometimes or they are very light.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

That is an unusually attractive stock for a Mercury S mine is very light walnut as mentioned as being typical above!

I was exactly the same, as a kid had a mercury for a long time, until i lost it to a farmer, now I'm 49 and a few yrs back i bought a old mercury but unfortunately its not working as it should and needs some TLC of which i don't have the time with working away, then last yr i bought another one which does fire as it should, is in great condition, not as nice as yours i should add, but as yet Ive not had the time to get it out into the fields and try it, home in 3 weeks so will do then.

Mick

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Just lovely!

ASM.
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    lovely looking rifle,super stock
    ATB
    Just what I was going to say

That’s one beautiful gun ,in every way,never sell it ,you won’t find one better than that mike