Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Mercury S

Thumbs up

I have one of the lighter walnut Airsporter 'S', Have to say, I like the stock but that dark one of the op's is just gorgeous!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Good evening gents, Nige the OP here.

I appreciate greatly the kind comments you have posted. Thank you. Hopefully we all see the preservation of one of the truly great British air guns as something close to our hearts and something worth seeing too.

I bought my "S" from a lovely fella and this is what i bought.

It takes a lot of work, love, attention and a bit of money to restore a gun. I wonder whether i should have just left it alone but for me the work done on it has been worth the effort. I'll never sell this gun but hope to pass it on to somebody that'll appreciate a gun from Birmingham as part of our heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The first S's were blond, both Mercury and Airsporter, circa 1982?? Very blond. Mid to late 80's a much darker colour done similar to the Century. And later still some even darker S's came out, though few had much stripe to the colour. Some only have chequering on the grip and then the Challenger came out as the flagship break barrel.
    I suspect yours is either a lucky late one or a refurbished which has had some staining put in. I'm hoping its the former and then you have a very tasty example well worth cherishing. Collectors of BSA's would love it.

Mint in box then well worth a hefty premium, though unlikely to break that £300 barrier (the blonds $250). Excellent then still a good premium but under £200. Well used but nice then as a shooter and not that much, £140. A good amount were made, but then most were heavily used and abused so good examples are not so common.
    The S's were expensive compared to the competition. Getting to the price range of a FWB Sport or HW35, both of which were better mousetraps.
    Thanks for your reply, i'm sorry to say my gun has been refurbished. This one shoots as it should. Shame on BSA not embracing competitors of the time and finishing BSA guns properly, i say.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Probably one of the most attractive air rifles ever produced. Classic lines; simple, elegant and so purposeful looking.
    Such a pity that the triggers are bloody awful.

That is a real stunner OP.
    Looks and lines, can't be matched Imspector 71. In utter agreement. I can't quite agree with you about the trigger, once it's fettled and the burrs filed and out of factory stuff is polished it's as smooth as you like.