Thread: Knock down targets. Need some parts cutting.

Knock down targets. Need some parts cutting.

I am trying to make some knock down pull to reset targets for use with the scouts.
    They cannot resemble animals or people so Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are out.

They also will be used by 8 year olds (and upwards) who have never fired a rifle before, cant hold it properly and don't listen (not all of them).
    It is important that they hit something.

I need someone with a cnc metal cutting machine laser or flow jet type 'thingy' (technical term) who can make me some washers 60mm id 200mm od and some 70mm lollipops from 3mm steel.

I can supply a sketch or a cardboard cut out.

Of course the budget is next to nothing but I don't expect them for free.

Can anyone suggest a company that may be able to assist.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I am trying to make some knock down pull to reset targets for use with the scouts.
    They cannot resemble animals or people so Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are out.
    you are no fun
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I would search locally for a company who cut sheet metal with a plasma cutter. It's generally cheaper than laser and waterjet and for the purpose you require perfectly adequate, you geet a good clean accurate cut generally with better than +/- 0.5mm tolerance. Most of the plasma cutting companies I have dealt with keep stock of common thickness plate and sell it very cheaply. Worth having a google for your local plasma cutters and if not maybe google for local metal fabrication shops as many have a plasma cutter or have a good deal with a local company who does.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post

They also will be used by 8 year olds (and upwards) who have never fired a rifle before, cant hold it properly and don't listen (not all of them).
    It is important that they hit something.

I need someone with a cnc metal cutting machine laser or flow jet type 'thingy' (technical term) who can make me some washers 60mm id 200mm od and some 70mm lollipops from 3mm steel.

I can supply a sketch or a cardboard cut out.

Of course the budget is next to nothing but I don't expect them for free.

Can anyone suggest a company that may be able to assist.

It's a shame you didn't mention this at the weekend Neil, I have a pile of 3mm plate offcuts.

As you're appear to still be in the planning stages, have you considered making your 200mm plate square instead of round and then cutting the 60mm hole with a hole saw ?

The offcuts from a 74mm hole saw would then give you the end of the lollipop.

Failing any of that there's a company in Tenlons Road, Nuneaton who do laser cutting --- I dig their name out later, though they normally need a CAD drawing.

The above is good advice. When I was dabbling with making bell target etc face plates I popped in to my local metals warehouse and they cut me some 3mm and 4mm thick mild steel to the sizes I wanted ... maybe 5" squares or so. Over the counter service, cut on a guillotine I guess and very reasonable price.
    For holes I use a drill for small ones but a hole saw (good quality designed for mild steel) for larger holes. As you need a pilot hole, you can end up with good size discs with a central hole. These are perfect for bolting onto an upright steel arm to give different size lollipops.
    Cheers, Phil

There was a seller on EBLAG doing disc shapes for not much money. Once I'm home I can have a look.

Seller is hairyarms on EBLAG. I know he is on some of the forums too.

I got some rabbit head ones from him for around £5 or so.

There was a Chinese seller doing them cheaper but you would have to wait on them .

Bean cans are more fun cos u can knock em over and knock holes in them as well !

Floppover make targets for Scouts already

http://www.flop-over.co.uk/targets-for-scouts.html

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions.
    I have used a local fabricators before who have a guillotine.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

My local plasma cutting firm has a minimum order charge of £50 plus VAT but you can get a lot of bits cut - and cut very cleanly.

Look up Alco Engineering at High Bullen. First class firm to deal with.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee