Thread: Bottom drawer oddities. Number 2. The enigmatic Boone.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Bottom drawer oddities. Number 2. The enigmatic Boone.

Continuing the saga of my bottom drawer orphans, the second gun I found was a rather battered Boone Target air pistol. I remembered that I had stashed it away a long time ago with the intention of restoring it at some later date, but having since picked up a nicer example it had descended way down my priority list and joined the forgotten few.

So why does this one have any curiosity value? Well, the Boone pistol is a little known pistol, and it has a body that is riveted together rather than screwed, and so it is impossible to get into without major surgery. As they are so rare (particularly in the UK) , for many years no one had the courage to take one apart and examine its internals and so for a long time its detailed construction was something of a mystery. In fact, so much so that back in the 1980’s the late great collector Dr Joe Gilbart went to the extreme measure of X-raying an example to find out more about its construction. Because the main body of the pistol is aluminium the X-rays could penetrate this easily and the steel and brass parts then showed up as white areas on a black background. This was the image he obtained:

This must be the only example of X-raying of an airgun ever attempted. It was not until several years later that a patent drawing was located, showing the construction details.

Anyway, to get back to my own pistol, someone had removed the three rivets from the frame and replaced them with nuts and bolts, presumably to carry out some sort of repair. As a result the pistol was easy to take apart and its internals could be examined at leisure. Here are some pictures I took.

It is a very simple design and has a one-piece trigger/sear unit. The lower part of the looped cocking rod slides in a groove cast into the frame. When the spring is fully compressed the end of the cocking rod is intercepted by the sear and holds it back. The barrel is a brass tube fixed on top of the air cylinder, and when the gun is assembled it sits inside a false barrel housing.
    The piston head is just a leather washer sandwiched between two steel washers.

The Boone is unique (I believe) in being the only spring air pistol that is muzzle loaded. So to load it you have to roll a BB shot down the barrel when it is trapped just ahead of the air transfer port by a constriction of the bore diameter. This works surprisingly well and once the BB is in place it is virtually impossible to dislodge it just by shaking and banging the barrel. In fact it works so well I though it must have a magnetic trap of some sort, but as 4.4mm lead balls work just as well it must be just friction that holds the shot in place.
    It is easy to cock, but you have to remember to keep your fingers out of the way of the cocking rod, which flies backwards on firing.

You would think that having a bore that lets the shot roll freely down it would lead to very low power and hopeless accuracy, but I was amazed to find that my better example gave consistently more than 240 fps muzzle velocity with steel BB’s. The accuracy wasn’t too bad either for this type of gun and was in fact vastly better than the G10 pistol. A minty G10 gave only about 150 fps with steel BB’s and yet in my opinion is no easier to cock than the Boone.

You can read more about the Boone here: http://cinedux.com/boone-air-pistol.php

So as far as my old Boone pistol goes, I think I will have a go at threading the holes in the frame and replacing the nuts and bolts with less obtrusive screws. This will not only look more like the original gun but will still give easy access if needed. I will probably then be moving the gun on as, interesting as they are, who really needs two Boones?
    Last edited by ccdjg; 27-06-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Interesting pistol - especially the muzzle loading part - but I can't say it has ever appealed as a collectable.

It must have been very cheap to produce!

Thanks for the comprehensive description.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Vic Turner has reminded me that many Daisy single shot air rifles were muzzle loaders, so I was wrong in saying that the Boone was the only muzzle loading spring airgun. I have now amended this to "only muzzle loading spring air pistol", which I believe is still true. Thanks Vic.

On another matter, I have come across an old advert for the private sale of a repeating version of the Boone. It states that the magazine is in the grip. I have not been able to find any literature to back up the existence of such a thing, so has anyone ever seen any mention of a repeater version before?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    On another matter, I have come across an old advert for the private sale of a repeating version of the Boone. It states that the magazine is in the grip.
    Hard to see how that would work with a muzzle loader!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hard to see how that would work with a muzzle loader!
    Well if it were muzzle loaded I would agree with you Danny, but according to the seller's ad (unfortunately I can't find a record of where I saw it) it is in his words "fed from the rear; turn upside down and gravity feed into chamber." The breech plug is certainly different from the usual. Could the pistol be an amateur's modification or a manufacturer's prototype? The riveted construction suggests it could even be a production model despite the lack of any advertising literature.

ggggr is online now part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Well if it were muzzle loaded I would agree with you Danny, but according to the seller's ad (unfortunately I can't find a record of where I saw it) it is in his words "fed from the rear; turn upside down and gravity feed into chamber." The breech plug is certainly different from the usual. Could the pistol be an amateur's modification or a manufacturer's prototype? The riveted construction suggests it could even be a production model despite the lack of any advertising literature.

My guess would be a hole drilled from the grip through to the breech with that breech plug having a spring in it so you pulled it back to let a ball in when you turned the gun upside down, then when you let go of the plug it pushed the ball past the transfer port hole. If you had to unscrew it it would be a pain. I;m wondering though if it would unscrew as well for getting balls into the grip or there was another hole for that?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Fascinating. Perhaps more likely a prototype? I can think of easier pistols to modify!

Guy if there was a reservoir in the grip, surely the balls would have to drop down a tube that crosses the piston sleeve?
    Last edited by Garvin; 27-06-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

ggggr is online now part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Fascinating. Perhaps more likely a prototype? I can think of easier pistols to modify!

Guy if there was a reservoir in the grip, surely the balls would have to drop down a tube that crosses the piston sleeve?
    You are probably right Danny. I guess it depends on the thickness of the sleeve and how far the piston comes forward into that sleeve/ body. Looking at it it is hard to see how a ball could find its way to the barrel?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

on the bay

Years ago I saw a repeater Boone for sale.As I recall it had an extra rivet....Anyrate,I asked the vendor if it really was a repeater and he didn't bother to reply.Very frustrating.Trev