Thread: Anschutz 335 Theoben Zephyr

Anschutz 335 Theoben Zephyr

A while ago I purchased a 335 from a good BBS friend. Always wanted one so when he kindly offered me a mint one I couldn't refuse. Ok so it didn't come with open sights as someone had put a silencer on the end of it.
    Anyway after some digging it turns out the silencer is a Theoben blued steel one, so this got me thinking and so I dug out my copy of The Airgun Book 4th Edition by John Walther and on page 43 it mentions that Theoben did a custom version, with a Zephyr Piston System. The rifle was taken apart to discover the above.
    I know alot of fuss was made about the 77 Zephyr but the old 335 version was never really advertised so I wonder how many they actually produced?
    This 335 is the magnum version without the rear safety so is a pre 1986 model.
    I can recall Arthur Sheppard testing one but it wore a nice CS600 stock and the foresight was attached to the silencer, an even rarer beast me thinks!!
    Mach 1.5

Zephyr piston

Was this the piston seal with grooves in the face or am i thinking of something else, and a green coating on the piston also rings a bell

Nice one, Paul.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzled View Post
    Was this the piston seal with grooves in the face or am i thinking of something else, and a green coating on the piston also rings a bell
    Nice find Paul!

I believe that the Zephyr piston head looks something like this:

Yep Green piston and groves in the seal. Shooting nice at 11.1 ft lbs. Mach 1.5

Very nice, I like the 335 never seen anything other than standard rifles wouldn't mind finding a marauder some day

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzled View Post
    Very nice, I like the 335 never seen anything other than standard rifles wouldn't mind finding a marauder some day
    Regarding the marauder I think there would be something of a que to find and buy one of them.
    I bought two Zephyr piston seals for my HW80s back in the day. One is still in my main 80. From memory they were not hugely more expensive than a STD seal back in the day. From memory they wouldn't supply you with a 77 seal only 80 seals.
    Dave

Theoben 335

A friend of mine owns a WBPS 335 and I couldn't wait to have a go with it, when I did, what a disappointment. The Zephyr 335 shoots far better. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    A friend of mine owns a WBPS 335 and I couldn't wait to have a go with it, when I did, what a disappointment. The Zephyr 335 shoots far better. Mach 1.5
    But it’s 35 years old. The Marauder got rave reviews, including from BTDT, circa 1984-1985. The one your friend has may be tired, modified, poorly maintained, molested, etc.

Also I thought we had all agreed years ago that the Zephyr piston head didn’t actually improve anything. Because physics.

My 335 is 33 years old. My friends WBPS is Mint just doesn't shoot like the theoben version. They all had great reviews back in the day to sell stuff!! Just saying that's all. Mach 1.5