Thread: Hakim air rifle

Hakim air rifle

Hi guys, I have just restored a Hakim rifle to working order, and I am intrigued by the inscriptions on it. I have a rough translation of what people call the ''Flames'' each side of the skull insignia, but are actually Arabic inscriptions. However there are three inscriptions on the cylinder end block, plus one on the back end of the end block, also one on the L/H side near to the skull; if anyone thinks they can help I can post photos of the inscriptions.
    A friend tried the translation app on his phone, it only recognised part of two of the inscriptions but the translation didn't really make sense.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/para...er-t35127.html

Seems legit, although I have heard other versions.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l had a friend who knew someone who was from the Arab culture. who tried to read mine one that l had at the time. but could not make any sence of it also.

Dave many thanks, that's the first ever attempt at translation I've seen. There is another one on the L/H side by the tap which might be a serial number, also there are three large inscriptions on the trigger block, plus what seems to be a circular military ''flag'' stamp on the trigger housing back face. From delving a little it seems Arabic is divided into regions and there are variations, as with most languages. A friend tried the google translator app but it didn't recognise some of the inscriptions and only part of others, but didn't make much sense.
    Curiosity now has the better of me and I've gone drastic and emailed the Egyptian embassy to see if they can offer any help, it seems that the Arabic language can be pretty well understood between areas and countries, but the written word can be varied, so Egyptian expertise is needed. Now not sure if Anschutz could help, but that far back, seems unlikely.
    Thanks for the info though, its a good start.
    abellringer

You've just reminded me, there was a feature in one of the mags on the hakim. I'll see if I can find it.

Keep us posted, it's one of my favourites.

I've got a de activated version of the rifle they were based on.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    You've just reminded me, there was a feature in one of the mags on the hakim. I'll see if I can find it.

Keep us posted, it's one of my favourites.

I've got a de activated version of the rifle they were based on.

Dave
    Yes, Phil Bulmer included a translation in Airgun World around 15 years ago iirc. I can't remember which copy it was in though.

I had one of these rifles many years ago until a certain Mr Binners prized it away from me. I kind of wish I'd replaced it as there were a couple at the show today. Maybe next time.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Yes, Phil Bulmer included a translation in Airgun World around 15 years ago iirc. I can't remember which copy it was in though.

I had one of these rifles many years ago until a certain Mr Binners prized it away from me. I kind of wish I'd replaced it as there were a couple at the show today. Maybe next time.

John
    I've got a copy somewhere, it's just the some and the where......

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Found it - the article was in the December 2002 issue of Airgun World

Kind regards,

John

With thanks to Klaus from Germany.

Um den Totenkopf steht in arabischer Kunstschrift "Al-Haras al-Watani" (Next to the Scull)
    Dies bedeutet "Wächter des Vaterlandes". (Guardian of the Motherland (homeland))

Der Halbmond mit den Sternen und Kreisen war das damalige ägyptische
    Staatswappen.

Auf er linken Seite: "Bunduqiya al-Howa al-Masria lil Tadrib" bedeutet:
    Ägyptisches Übungsluftgewehr (left side,"Egyptian Trainings rifle")

Auf der rechten Seite: "Anschütz Almaniya 1955" keine Übersetzung nötig. (right side,"Anschutz Germany 1955")

Auf der Oberseite: "Aiyar 5,5mm Model 1954 (M1)" keine Übersetzung nötig. (top side,"Caliber 5,5mm 1954 (M1)")

Gruß Klaus

Quelle: Museum für historische Wehrtechnik. Ausgabe 59 (4/2007 (source)

==========================
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    With thanks to Klaus from Germany.

Um den Totenkopf steht in arabischer Kunstschrift "Al-Haras al-Watani" (Next to the Scull)
    Dies bedeutet "Wächter des Vaterlandes". (Guardian of the Motherland (homeland))

Der Halbmond mit den Sternen und Kreisen war das damalige ägyptische
    Staatswappen.

Auf er linken Seite: "Bunduqiya al-Howa al-Masria lil Tadrib" bedeutet:
    Ägyptisches Übungsluftgewehr (left side,"Egyptian Trainings rifle")

Auf der rechten Seite: "Anschütz Almaniya 1955" keine Übersetzung nötig. (right side,"Anschutz Germany 1955")

Auf der Oberseite: "Aiyar 5,5mm Model 1954 (M1)" keine Übersetzung nötig. (top side,"Caliber 5,5mm 1954 (M1)")

Gruß Klaus

Quelle: Museum für historische Wehrtechnik. Ausgabe 59 (4/2007 (source)

==========================
    Frank
    Thank you Frank and Danke Klaus.

Translation courtesy of google:

The skull is in Arabic art "Al-Haras al-Watani" (Next to the scull)
    This means "Guardian of the Fatherland". (Guardian of the Motherland (homeland))

The crescent with the stars and circles was the then Egyptian
    National emblem.

On the left side: "Bunduqiya al-Howa al-Masria lil Tadrib" means:
    Egyptian practice air rifle (left side, "Egyptian training rifle")

On the right side: "Anschütz Almaniya 1955" no translation needed. (right side, "Anschutz Germany 1955")

On top: "Aiyar 5.5mm Model 1954 (M1)" no translation needed. (top side, "Caliber 5,5mm 1954 (M1)")

Greetings Klaus

Source: Museum of historical defense technology. Issue 59 (4/2007 (source)

WOW, thanks so much everyone; Danke Klause. Lots of people have had a go at this over the years with little or no success. The only bit left to sort is what seems to be a serial number on the left hand side near the loading tap. I'll try and post photos of the two that I have.
    Meantime really well done and many thanks again.
    Regards
    abellringer

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    WOW, thanks so much everyone; Danke Klause. Lots of people have had a go at this over the years with little or no success. The only bit left to sort is what seems to be a serial number on the left hand side near the loading tap. I'll try and post photos of the two that I have.
    Meantime really well done and many thanks again.
    Regards
    abellringer
    Hi Ray,

Email sent as I may be able to help.

Kind regards,

John